“My go-to spot for breakfast”
Review of Chikusa Cafe

Chikusa Cafe
Ranked #5 of 41 Coffee & Tea in Kathmandu
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 28, 2018

So, about 2010 I wandered into Nepal for the first time and, as with many first time travel experiences, the places you go tend to stick with you and become favourites and on the first morning in Kathmandu our first stop for coffee and breakfast was the Chikusa Cafe.

Since 2010 I’ve been back to Nepal many times, often several times a year when possible and I always make my way to the cafe for coffee and breakfast and to catch up with the guys who work there. Suresh and the lads run a busy little shop.

Tips? Sit in the front of the restaurant, it’s more lively and sit at the counter if you’re travelling solo. Have the local yogurt, it’ll help get your digestive system in order for Nepal. Definitely have the coffee, but they make a mean lemon-ginger tea if that’s your preference.

As for any western ideals you’ve brought with you to Nepal, lose them. Honestly, leave them at home. Restaurants in Nepal aren’t going to live up to Canadian or French standards and if you insist on looking at the world that way then you will doubtless be disappointed.

Chikusa is a tiny oasis of coffee and banana pancakes; here’s a tip - avoid processed meats when travelling anywhere you go - and suddenly life gets less uppity. The cafe os my first stop on day one when I arrive for a reason - it’s welcoming, warm, the coffee is good and the people are friendly.

There are a lot of places to get coffee in Kathmandu now, but none is quite like Chikusa; they’re missing the sense of place and that aura of the familiar. Do yourself a huge favour, stop in for a coffee, take a deep breath and order some banana pancakes. You won’t be sorry.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Byron B

Reviewed May 23, 2018 via mobile

Not the same as when it catered to mostly Japanese but still very good. I'm not a coffee drinker but the black tea is great. Big attraction a of people don't think about is Chikusa uses bottled water for everything. I'm very friendly with the boys running the place.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

Went there with my friend following reviews we saw on tripadvisor. We could not be disagreeing more with those. Our visit was quite bad. The coffee itself is not very good, you can find so much better everywhere. The food is a joke. I ordered the Chikusa set breakfast and it wasn’t very good. One sausage a bit undercook and a basic omelette. The best part of it is actually the bread and the butter, that says a lot. I also had french toast on the side, they were good. Overall experience not so good. Would not recommend.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

This place is in desperate need of a good scrub. Cups were dirty. Also, I was very shocked at the unedible, thick,pure piece of fat I received in my "bacon" sandwich. I was told by the server that this is how bacon is in Nepal. REALLY?

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Petra B
Reviewed January 24, 2018 via mobile

Chikusa Cafe is my first stop for strong freshly brewed local coffee. They make coffee in old fashion way (filter) instead of modern coffee maker machine which is why I love it. You can even buy freshly grinded coffee or simply coffee beans by requesting the friendly staffs. They offer limited but budget friendly menu. However, they need to work on hygiene specially in the smoking area.

Date of visit: January 2018