“Lovely place for dinner”

Gaia Restaurant & Coffee Shop
Ranked #12 of 781 Restaurants in Kathmandu
Cuisines: Asian, Healthy
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Gaia Restaurant & Coffee Shop is specialized in Eurasian cuisine. We offer various breakfast sets and a large choice for your lunch or dinner. Besides that, we offer fresh, organic coffee and various teas, salads and cakes. Inside & outside dining In the sun, in the shadow or inside. Alone, as a couple or with a group. We provide you plenty of seating options, both in- and outside. Various daily newspapers At Gaia you can catch up with the daily news from Nepal and the world. Next to a number of Nepali newspapers we offer three English dailies: The Kathmandu Post, The Himalayan Times and Republica. The Kathmandu Post The Himalayan Times Republica Free Wi-fi Check your e-mail, update your blog and keep track of your Facebook and other social media with our free wi-fi. Ask our staff for the password.
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We sat outside and had a mix of Nepali and Western food. The set local meal was great and the steak was good. A strong gin fizz helped me keep warm. It had as lovely relaxed atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Gaia Restaurant & Coffee Shop

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Five years ago, my travel buddy and I frequented this tiny restaurant that was just down the road from our hotel. At that time it only sat 10-12 people but had outstanding coffee, excellent sandwiches, and a very good hummus appetizer that we loved.

Returning to Kathmandu I re-locate this Thamel restaurant and discover that the owner has greatly expanded the facility into a full blown restaurant that is a true marvel. This is a case where quality and word of mouth have triumphed!

The menu includes varied international fare for the tourists that flock here nightly--something for everyone with a good selection of appetizers, salads, soups, main courses, and desserts. A wide variety of drinks are also available... and I'm glad to report that the coffee and cappucino remain top notch. It also includes traditional Nepali fare that was vital when I brought one of my local friends with me.

Gaia doesn't strive for gourmet dishes with fancy presentations to astound you; that's why the prices are moderately priced to cater to tourists. Everything I've tried is good quality, and the management does its best to please with a relaxed and pleasing atmosphere suitable for friends and small groups.

This is Nepal, so you may have difficulty finding your waiter for the bill... but that is not really a problem. If you are in a hurry, you can always go to the cashier and pay your bill right there.

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

I won't say any of the food i have tried here will knock your socks off, but they are decent and I like that the main Almost always comes with a side salad or a generous serving of vegetables. Prices are really reasonable, and service and atmosphere are both great.

If I can only have one meal in Thamel this would probably not be my top choice but if you are around the area and have a few days in Thamel I dont think you will be disappointed dining here!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I researched for a restaurant with good reviews from the comfort of my home before embarking on our first trip to Nepal. Gaia Restaurant filled the bill so we collected directions and our map and headed out in the Thamel to find ourselves a comfortable, reliable place to eat. We found it with no trouble and were delighted with the whole experience. The food was plentifull and tasty. Very reasonably priced. We found sitting in the courtyard surrounded by trees to be a relaxing experience that we repeated several times during our stay. The staff was friendly and even though it was busy they were efficient and prompt. The only downside to each visit was that we had to ask for our bill but that really was minor. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for value and convenience and good food.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

This was by far the best meal in Kathmandu, there was five of us all had different dishes each dish was delicious. We even had Apple pie for dessert. The menu is so varied you cannot help finding something you will like. Service is so friendly and the cost was so..... Good