“Best place in Kathmandu”

Gaia Restaurant & Coffee Shop
Ranked #13 of 715 Restaurants in Kathmandu
Cuisines: Indian, Cafe, International, European, Asian, Nepali, Healthy
Good for: Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Gaia Restaurant & Coffee Shop is specialized in Eurasian cuisine. We offer various breakfast sets and a large choice for your lunch or dinner. Besides that, we offer fresh, organic coffee and various teas, salads and cakes. Inside & outside dining In the sun, in the shadow or inside. Alone, as a couple or with a group. We provide you plenty of seating options, both in- and outside. Various daily newspapers At Gaia you can catch up with the daily news from Nepal and the world. Next to a number of Nepali newspapers we offer three English dailies: The Kathmandu Post, The Himalayan Times and Republica. The Kathmandu Post The Himalayan Times Republica Free Wi-fi Check your e-mail, update your blog and keep track of your Facebook and other social media with our free wi-fi. Ask our staff for the password.
“Best place in Kathmandu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

In my opinion the best restaurant in Kathmandu - we tryed a lot of meals and all was delicius. Big meals for good price. Out of busy road so it is nice place to have a good meal

1 Thank Marcin R

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Austin, Texas
“Best Food in Town! Especially Breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I love Gaia! They make my favorite Mocha Cafe and you can pretty much order breakfast all day. They also have a really great Chicken Burger. I have to disagree with the guy who said Gaia was not serving him because he wasn't white. On any given day at Gaia; and I have eaten there A LOT, there is every color person you can imagine from everywhere! There are many Nepali locals too. This is not your average tourist place. The staff is usually very busy as it is so popular. I have been to many "good eats" places in Kathmandu, but Gaia is the best!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank VeilDancer
Toronto, Canada
“Nice environment, discriminatory staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

The environment was excellent, very nice sitting arrangement which caught my eyes. I had breakfast and lunch there as it was close to our hotel. Breakfast was good. In lunch i ordered paneer butter masala which was tasty but it was hard to find any paneer (cheese) there.

I would have rated this restaurant as excellent if the staff were good. I had to wait for long time to find any staff to take my order or serve me food, even to give me the bills. Every time i either had to go near the open kitchen or draw their attention when they were serving some other customers near my table. I found all the customers were white, except me, and probably that is why instead of serving me, the staff were spending time at their tables gossiping, cracking jokes and laughing.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Arunthia21
Melbourne, Australia
“The freshest food in Nepal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I've been living in Kathmandu for over a year now and I have that Gaia has the freshest dishes in the city. It's location can be a little bit tricky to find. However, the relaxed garden atmosphere is a relief from the ordinarily hectic Kathmandu streets. The menu is simple. Nothing over-the-top fancy, but every meal I've had here has been superb. My personal favourite is the pepper steak. Everything is cooked well and all the ingredients taste like they've been bought fresh every day, which is a rarity in Kathmandu. My only complaint is that the last two times I went, noone greeted me as I entered the garden. I had to look around the restaurant to find a waiter to seat me. However, all staff speak good English so ordering is made easy with them. Overall, Gaia is a fantastic little restaurant to relax with friends in.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank geelongexpat
Sarasota, Florida
“Gaia Restaurant & Coffee Shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Gaia Restaurant & Coffee Shop is just up the street from the Utse Restaurant where the street ends. We've eaten there several times and found the food good and reasonable priced. My only disappointment was to find out a Tuna and Egg Sandwich is not Tuna Fish Salad. I should have asked.

Visited February 2013