“GOOD BEYOND IMAGINATION...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 436 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
delhi
“GOOD BEYOND IMAGINATION...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

What we miss when we are away from home? Needless to say, the answer is homely comfort. I enjoyed this homely comfort while I was far away from home, in an unknown nation, amongst unknown people of an unknown culture. But not even for a single moment I found myself out of place. It’s a neat and clean place to stay with extraordinarily helpful and courteous staff. I wish to be there again and again.

Room Tip: Better you ask the staff... they are too honest...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank suleman a

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel around 5days. Actually at first I didn't know where this hotel was. But i knew it because one madam(she was a korean volunteer workers who support many nepali schools) recommended me to stay this hotel!

I was a poor traveler, so i really needed to find reasonable room. But also i wanted to take a hot shower, and i needed wi-fi. 'Great wall hotel' satisfied what i wanted. Price was pretty cheap, hot tab was available(it was available only on sunnyday, with the help of solar heat, but as you know there are lots of electricity problem in nepal), and wi-fi was available almost 24hours! I could take hot shower, and i could find some informations i need and down load some movies that i wanted.

Well, but some were not good. First, the door on my room was difficult to open. I needed to try a lot. It was quite irritating. Also, water cOntains iron smell.(i think there was some problem at the pipes..) that was bad things about this hotel. But it was not a big problem cause anyway i stayed at cheap room. I think It canbe.

But The main reason i recommend this hotel is not about the facilities. I liked this hotel because of kind clerks. While i stayed this hotel, i used to using internet on the lobby. When i was there, some of clerks came to me and asked me many things with smiling face.:) i still remember that one boy who worked there gave me nepali tea for me for free! And another clerk, whose name is 'anup', he was very friendly so i talked with him a lot. He always kept the smile on his face, and he always tried to fulfill my reqquest.(the wi-fi in hotel was much more faster at night, so i reqquest him to keep my labtop inthe counter with him. It could be irritating for him, but he did for me without any complain...:)) thanks to him, i could see the movie i wanted!!) he made me feel comfortable While i stayed there, and we were pretty close that he even knew my ex-girl friend's name!! I still remember.

Owner was also nice. He recommended me to go to festival in KTM, he explained kindly. And when i leave the hotel, he booked the bus ticket, and he and anup(the clerk) helped me to take a cap with a cheaper price).

I recommended this hotel. Price was reasonable, and it equiped quite good facilities(well, i strongly suggest that the hotel manager need to check the pipe if it's still not good..haha). Morover, the people in this hotel made me feel warm while i stayed. I still remember them as good friends.^^

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Min92s
Kathmandu, Nepal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

The first when you came in (main season) and ask for room rates they show you the best room they have and ask you then to stay a few nights in a less luxury room until it is possible to transfer to the luxury room. Of course you pay for the less quality room the prize of the luxury room. After some days you start to ask when the more luxury room is available for you but time after time they give the answer the more luxury rooms are booked by Internet. And still you pay the rate of the luxury room for the bad room you use at that moment. Nice trick of them or not?

The next problem of this " hotel " is the availability of hot water. When you arrive and you ask if they can provide hot shower 24 hours a day then the answer is always ' yes of course'! ', with a smiling face. And they do provide hot water during the time the rooms are all occupied. But at the you like to shower the hot water is finished because the storage capacity of the hot water tank is to small and because they do not want to use the electricity to long to heat the water. They put the switch of after a short time to save money! At daytime the hot water is only available when the sun is shining, but in the low season, when it can be very cold in the morning and evening and the sun is not shining enough, the shower water is cold and they do not provide hot water because the cost of electricity.

In the less luxury rooms the beds are terrible, the plywood where on top the bed lays is like a wave, and that is not sleeping good!

In the lower level rooms you have much disturbance at evening and night from talking people downstairs in the lobby and from the loud noise and music of the big television in the lobby.
Also noise from slapping doors of the rooms, and that can be until midnight and during the early morning and some regular during the night. The doors of the rooms are not closed properly and people/guests use force to close them. Also you can look by some doors between the door and the door-frame into the rooms, privacy is not sure due to this problem.
The lock of the door of my room was not save, when we go out and locked the door then the door can be opened (without using the key) true a light push to the door.

And Wifi is not always working properly.

After we settled in the room we found days long a lot of long black hairs at the floor this was very dirty to see.

What was also not so nice was the bugs and insects who came at night from under the bed which is closed around and due to that is the bed a dark box where the insects and bugs can find a home.

THIS "hotel" NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Booked this on Booking.com's mobile app - which was surprisingly good (they have a great mapping tool) after going on the Pranamaya Yoga retreat. It's a few blocks from Pranamaya studio.

The location was good - it took me a few minutes to find it as it's not on a main road and is sort of down an alley. I know this may sound a little sketchy - but once you get to KTM and Thamel, you realize it's not that sketchy at all because there are like 3 other hotels in that same alley. If walking there, you'll see the Thamel Eco Resort, turn left in the alley before Thamel Eco Resort, past the Backpackers Inn and it's right there.

Room pictures are accurate - I booked a single on Booking.com for $25 US - it would have been cheaper to book directly with them (but I didn't know they existed until I used Booking.com's app, so next time will just book direct). Room was with a King Size bed. TV was cable TV. 2 chairs, a coffee table, and good pillows. Sheets were clean - which was a good thing (as I've stayed in places where this wasn't the case).

They emailed me to confirm the booking asking for my flight arrival time as they were offering free airport pickup. As I was already in KTM returning from a yoga retreat, I asked if they would do a free airport drop off instead - which they were happy to do.

The shower did take a few minutes to heat up (which is the case in pretty much every hotel in Thamel - you won't have this problem in hotels like the Crowne Plaza or Hyatt, but you also won't be paying only $25/night either) - so that's to be expected. Also, I know there are power outtages - I didn't have any issues, but when I woke up around 7am, the power was out (not an issue though as opening the curtains provided enough daylight - and my phone had charged overnight, so had 100% power).

I didn't try the restaurant - but they have a small rooftop restaurant (with 24 hour room service, believe it or not).

Manager was very friendly and did ask about any problems during my stay. No major problems except hot water annoyance (but it came after about 5 minutes - and to be fair, when they showed me the room, they did tell me I have to run the shower for a few minutes for the hot water to come).

Overall, fine stay for a $25/night hotel room.

They did ask me to pay in Nepali Rupees instead of credit card (which was fine as well - they have to pay 5% credit card fees, so it's cheaper if you pay in Rupees anyways) - they would have taken the card if I insisted, but as this was my last day in Nepal, I needed to get rid of my rupees anyways.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank bhatnasx
Penang Island, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Rooms are clean with good bed. However, I believe certain rooms have no hot shower even though they claimed it has. There is a regular power cut-off from time to time and they said once electricity is restored, it would take 2 hours before you could enjoy your hot shower. Yes, it is 2hours!! What system are they running on? I have no idea. We stayed there for 2 nights (the day before Diwali and on Diwali) and both days we have no hot shower (in the morning and night) even though there is electricity. They could claim the power disruption affect the hot shower but to even after there is electricity, there were no hot shower. Disappointed, the last day before we checked out, we forcefully asked for hot shower and they let us shower in a room where there is hot shower but still none at ours. And not before the power cut off, the hot shower gone away. So if you don't mind bathing in cold shower, you could consider it, else look for other hotels/guesthouses which give you better value for your money as the twin room comes at USD15 (which is not cheap by Thamel, Kathmandu standard).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Hotel Great Wall is the place we've returned to again and again. Why? People are friendly, helpful and they make you feel as though you are part of a family. The hotel is clean. There is hot water! The beds are comfortable. The suggestions for restaurants and things to do have been excellent. And the best in September was being met during a monsoon downpour with a taxi when we gave incomplete directions. Thank you for being their for us.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are good.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Liesel B
Mahendra Kumar M, Owner at Hotel The Great Wall, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing such a detailed response about your stay on Trip advisor. We are very glad to know that you liked every aspect of our Service.
Thanks for choosing our hotel and hope you'll stay with us again, the next time you're in Kathmandu.

Best Regards,
Hotel The Great Wall
Kathmandu, Nepal
United Kingdom and USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked this hotel prior to leaving on my trip. They offered me a free taxi pick up from the airport, which was nice when coming to the chaos of Kathmandu for the first time, having someone waiting there for me with my name on a card. The hotel is in an alleyway, off of one of the main streets in Thamel. I never would have been able to find it on my own. I thought the location seemed a bit seedy at first, but once I got used to it I actually enjoyed the fact that it was set back from the main chaos. I paid about the equivalent of $11 to stay here, which had a double sized bed and attached western toilet and shower. The hot water was luke warm at best and was not reliable, but that is Nepal, and was like that everywhere I stayed, even more expensive places. When I first arrived to the hotel, the owners took me into their office, made me a cup of chiya, and chatted with me while the staff got my room ready. They treated me like a VIP. There seemed to be women on their hands and knees cleaning the public areas of the hotel at all hours of the day so I cannot question the cleanliness of these areas. The cleanliness of the room was average, but again, in Nepal you just can't expect the same standards as at home, especially for the price you are paying. I had to walk up quite a few flights of stairs to get to my room, but I figured it was good practice for my trekking! The staff were friendly, attentive, and they let me store my luggage for free for 4 weeks while I was trekking. I would stay here again and recommend to anyone seeking budget accommodation in the tourist district of Kathmandu.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo