“Good room but no hot shower (even they claimed they have)”

Hotel The Great Wall
Ranked #13 of 438 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Good room but no hot shower (even they claimed they have)”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Rooms are clean with good bed. However, I believe certain rooms have no hot shower even though they claimed it has. There is a regular power cut-off from time to time and they said once electricity is restored, it would take 2 hours before you could enjoy your hot shower. Yes, it is 2hours!! What system are they running on? I have no idea. We stayed there for 2 nights (the day before Diwali and on Diwali) and both days we have no hot shower (in the morning and night) even though there is electricity. They could claim the power disruption affect the hot shower but to even after there is electricity, there were no hot shower. Disappointed, the last day before we checked out, we forcefully asked for hot shower and they let us shower in a room where there is hot shower but still none at ours. And not before the power cut off, the hot shower gone away. So if you don't mind bathing in cold shower, you could consider it, else look for other hotels/guesthouses which give you better value for your money as the twin room comes at USD15 (which is not cheap by Thamel, Kathmandu standard).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Hotel Great Wall is the place we've returned to again and again. Why? People are friendly, helpful and they make you feel as though you are part of a family. The hotel is clean. There is hot water! The beds are comfortable. The suggestions for restaurants and things to do have been excellent. And the best in September was being met during a monsoon downpour with a taxi when we gave incomplete directions. Thank you for being their for us.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are good.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Liesel B
Mahendra Kumar M, Owner at Hotel The Great Wall, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing such a detailed response about your stay on Trip advisor. We are very glad to know that you liked every aspect of our Service.
Thanks for choosing our hotel and hope you'll stay with us again, the next time you're in Kathmandu.

Best Regards,
Hotel The Great Wall
Kathmandu, Nepal
United Kingdom and USA
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked this hotel prior to leaving on my trip. They offered me a free taxi pick up from the airport, which was nice when coming to the chaos of Kathmandu for the first time, having someone waiting there for me with my name on a card. The hotel is in an alleyway, off of one of the main streets in Thamel. I never would have been able to find it on my own. I thought the location seemed a bit seedy at first, but once I got used to it I actually enjoyed the fact that it was set back from the main chaos. I paid about the equivalent of $11 to stay here, which had a double sized bed and attached western toilet and shower. The hot water was luke warm at best and was not reliable, but that is Nepal, and was like that everywhere I stayed, even more expensive places. When I first arrived to the hotel, the owners took me into their office, made me a cup of chiya, and chatted with me while the staff got my room ready. They treated me like a VIP. There seemed to be women on their hands and knees cleaning the public areas of the hotel at all hours of the day so I cannot question the cleanliness of these areas. The cleanliness of the room was average, but again, in Nepal you just can't expect the same standards as at home, especially for the price you are paying. I had to walk up quite a few flights of stairs to get to my room, but I figured it was good practice for my trekking! The staff were friendly, attentive, and they let me store my luggage for free for 4 weeks while I was trekking. I would stay here again and recommend to anyone seeking budget accommodation in the tourist district of Kathmandu.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank shantiom1
New Delhi
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel, hotel is truely good one within it's budget range. The best I found is its very neat and clean. Exactly in middle of thamel area, And whay they shows on the website it's exactly the same. I will reccomend this hotel. Hotel staff is really freindly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MalikandScott
london
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We have spent two nights at the hotel. I have found the experience well deserving of a good review! A taxi was waiting for me at the airport (pick up was free). The managers of the hotel are brothers and look after the guests well. Throughout my stay all of the staff were professional and friendly. There was a calm and peaceful atmosphere inside the hotel considering it was in excellent location (the heart of Thamel). The room was spacious and there was free WiFi available.

We wanted to go to Chitwan to Safari. Everything was arranged for us which included my journey there and pick up at Chitwan as well as the hotel stay. We did not have any hassle getting to Chitwan. I felt the staff went out of their way to organise this for me.

We were also given good tips of the places to visit in Kathmandu as well as what to look out for in Chitwan. We were also given local advice on the area while we stayed and useful local customs.

Down side - there isn't one... but I feel I must mention this as it can be a shock coming from Europe.. there are scheduled power cuts (however, the hotel does have a generator) and the streets are not as well lite; however it was safe, we felt safe and there were police around.. the area is alive 24 hours.

I would come back to this place again!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ash w
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The hotel had a very clear bias towards foreign guests and we, as Indians, felt a little unwelcome. The rooms were decent. There was no restaurant attached to the hotel and the morning breakfast of toast and tea was atrocious. The hotel tried to cheat on little things like airport drop, breakfast inclusion etc. Location was ok as the hotel is in Thamel

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank vineet_bhuwania
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Unfortunately, we don't remember a great deal about this place. It's down the street from where we stayed previously at Hotel Silver Home (closer to the main road in Thamel). We do remember that our room was clean, and had good lighting and a slightly better bed than at Silver Home for around the same price (around 1000 rupees a night). We had issues with the hot water the whole time we were there, and each day talked about how we'd look for a new guest house to stay in. Each day I'd also ask the nice boy at the reception if there was any hot water, and he'd reply that yes there was. Of couse there wasn't, and this became a running joke between the two of us. Can't remember about working wi-fi, but I believe that there wasn't any, or there was supposed to be and it didn't work. Can't say for sure. Overall, an unmemorable place, maybe slightly better than Hotel Silver Home.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple