“Rooms vary in quality....but good service.”
Review of Hotel Shakti

Hotel Shakti
Ranked #64 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Kathmandu
London
“Rooms vary in quality....but good service.”
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Shakti for 3 nights. The hotel is very basic and is rated 1* on some websites I have seen but for a hotel of this standard it was OK.

The staff were generally very helpful, friendly and welcoming, both on reception and in the dining area. We were going away on trek for 10 days and as we were coming back at the end of the trek, they allowed us to keep our bags (stuff we didn't need) at the hotel and also our passports in their safe deposit box. We also left some laundry which came back very clean and well pressed (which isn't necessarily usual for laundry services in Nepal, as we later found out!).

The breakfast was basic but ok - there is a hot buffet each morning with scrambled eggs, fried potatoes and pancakes and toast. There is no variety though - its the same each day, but it tastes nice enough.

The only real problem we had with this hotel was the varied quality of the rooms. Before our trek, the room was had was TINY and seemed to have blacked out windows for some reason, which you could see out of but not in. This would not be a problem normally but Kathmandu has scheduled power cuts for 12 hours every day and Hotel Shakti has no generator. Therefore, this made it very dark if we were getting up early in the morning as there was no natural light! Also, the bathroom was so tiny, that it simply had a shower head over a plug hole (no shower tray or curtain), right next to the toilet, meaning that everything got wet when you had a shower. By contrast, when we came back after our trek, the room we got was enormous! It was very light (no blacked out windows), had a proper bath with a shower over it and a large bathroom. (Both rooms had TVs - but we were rarely in when the power was on so rarely watched them!). My only complaint about that room was that it wasn't really very clean (grubby bath mat hadn't seen a wash in months and the bath had sand or something in it....).

The location of the hotel is good, just outside the centre of Thamel, but in a quiet area (so you don't have to listen to terrible out of tune bands playing at night!).

On balance, this was a reasonable hotel for a hotel of 1 star standard and the staff did give good service. I don't know what the room rates are as we had it included as part of our trek package, but I would not pay a lot for rooms in this hotel (especially not $45 a night as a previous poster paid, as you can stay in nicer places for the same price). Definitely ask to see your room before you stay here as some are definitely much better than others - but bring a torch for when the power goes down! (You'll need it anyway if you are going trekking). I wouldn't recommend it for a long stay but if you are here for a couple of nights before a trek and don't expect any frills its fine.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 31, 2010

I recently stayed at Hotel Shakti as part of a trekking trip to the Himalayas. I had a somewhat ambivalent experience of the place following my stay. (I stayed for a couple of nights before the trek and a couple more afterwards.)

The hotel is situated in a nice location a little bit away from the middle of Thamel (the main tourist area in Kathmandu) in its own gated space. This is a good thing -- you are away from the incessant honking and chaos or the main Thamel thoroughfares, but still, it's just a walk of 2-3 minutes to get to the middle of things. There are nice green areas behind and in front of the hotel building where you can decompress from the frenzy of the streets, or recover following the hike. Very welcome (and fairly unusual, in Kathmandu.)

My room was a pleasant corner room -- bright and spacious, with an attached bathroom, and a TV! Caveat: this is Kathmandu, so things dont always work! The electricity was sporadic, due to scheduled rolling blackouts in the City, and the shower was unpredictable -- sometimes hot & strong, other times cold, or completely unavailable!

My biggest concern with the hotel was the price -- I paid $45.00 per night, an exorbitant price for a fairly basic room in a hotel in Kathmandu. (I apparently had a "luxury" room...) However, my trekking company took care of the room booking, and changed me this price -- it's very possible that they were gouging me & that you might be able to get a better deal as an individual.

In summary, the hotel is a very pleasant choice for Kathmandu - near the center of things without being in the middle of the chaos. If you can manage a better room rate than me, Shakti is a place to consider

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 22, 2010

This is a base hotel for Gecko's and others to launch Himilaya trips. It is quite basic but adequate and close to Thamal. Front desk staff are nice, and cope well with english. If you want somewhere to sleep at a budget then this place is just fine.

Stayed March 2009, traveled solo