All reviews hot water private balcony milk tea comfortable bed trekking guide guest house rooms are clean quiet location annapurna circuit toilet paper place to stay guesthouse hem rooftop wifi nepal backpackers
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Also this year we spend a few weeks in the ‘Family peace house’ at Poknajol.
More times in different rooms. It was the last time because we will not book this guesthouse again. There are pros and cons but the list of cons get longer every time we stay here.
I will make a honest list of all those things we saw and give more comment if necessary.
First I start with the pros:

• Free wifi. Most times it works. We had some days it did not but more guesthouses in the area had that problem.
• Good mattresses. And that is so important for a good night sleep
• Quiet neighbourhood. Tucked away from the street. Streetdogs can keep you awake.
• Most times clean bedlinnen
• There is a backup light when there are powercuts. Also wifi works with powercuts.
• Free towels and toiletpaper if you ask.
• “cleaning” (that is a big word) on demand. Even if you stay 2 weeks they never ask to clean the room !

And now the long list of cons:

• Not clean. Everything is dirty. They just clean with a broom or put some water on the floor and dry it. Everything is covered with a thick layer of dirt. You don’t see it when you come to the room but don’t spill any water on the floor and try to clean it with a tissue. It will be black. But also the bathroom, mirror, bed, chair, etc etc
• Filthy pillowcovers . 1 day I want to change my room for an other one with balcony. When the “cleaning” lady finished my new room I moved my stuff. I saw that the pillowcovers where full with stains and smell bad so I took the pillows from my old room and replaced them with the one in my new room. After the lady cleaned my old room the door was kept open. I looked inside and saw that the pillows still had the same filthy covers. She also did not changed them that time. That is really gross.
• There are a lot of dog lovers coming to Nepal. Most dog in Nepal are infected with worms, not to speak about rabbies. It is no problem for the staff and owner if a guest bring streetdogs to the guesthouse and even upstairs and in the rooms. I saw guest with 1 and 2 dogs in there room on the bed, or on the couch on the balcony. Wow .. that means the next guest cant be infected by worm-eggs or get bitten by flees.
• The owners look friendly but I think they are not. We had several occurrences that the owner try to scam us or forgot agreements. All times in his favor.
• Hot water is a bit of hit and miss. Upper rooms don’t have hot water (most times). Lower rooms have more times hot water. Sometimes the water is not warmed by solar and they have to put on the electric heaters on the roof. Sometimes they just don’t want to put those on. Or tell you that you can take a shower on the ground floor in there or another room. Or they just say: “we have hot water so you must have hot water”. They don’t wanna check or do anything about it.
• In every bathroom you find toilets, shower or what so ever leaking.
• Lot of times youre toiletflush will not fill . We had to use the shower to fill the toilet
• The staff is not helpful when you have problems. Most times they do nothing about the problem. After several complains they are willing to help you (sometimes)
• Bad hygiene. Empty plates with food or coffee/tea stay several days before the rooms. Even if the staff pass this more then 1 time every hour they will not bring it down and clean it. Same if you put trash from your room outside your door. Don’t be surprised if it is still there after a few days. I did not eat 1 meal there and made my own tea and coffee.

So why did we stay there. At the first place they made us a good deal (but we had to remember them several times) for the rooms. A good night sleep is 1 of the most important things.
If you have to pay more then 700 rupee for a balcony room or 600 for a double room then you have better options in other guesthouses. We heard they ask 1000-1200 rupee for a balcony room. There is a new guesthouse 50 meters from FP house with good clean room and good beds for the same price. Other guesthouses have same quality for better prices.
We stayed here more times the last 3 years. The place runs down rapidly. Possible they think there are enough guests because there are also good reviews on TA. But really …. Even for Nepali standard (and I have been a long time in Nepal) this is not good enough for the money.

Room tip: rooms with balcony but dont pay more then 700 rupee
Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Just a five minute walk from the city centre you find the Family Peace Guest House. It's a quiet place with friendly staff. Rooms are clean and it's possible to arrange trips via the hostel. Negotiate about the price (especially when it's low season). I had some trouble with our shower, but maybe that's just a Nepali thing.

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Family Peace House is in a great location with decent rooms, but there are many better choices just next door for you. The staff is not very friendly or welcoming. They also seem to be very disorganized. They forgot our reservation. One of the staff members charged us a 13% tax on the room only to later find out it was his way of ripping us off. Either to give the hostel more money from this nonexistent tax or to pocket the money for himself. This was unexceptable and you don't need to support them. Go to Tibet Peace directly next door. Better facility, better value, and great staff.

Date of stay: April 2013
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I've spent there 2 or 3 nights. Location is perfect - close to Thamel but far enought to be a realy quiet place. Large clean rooms with own showers (hot water) and toilet, comfortable beds and maily with balcony - realy welcome every evening to sit there with cold beer and chat with other people from other balconies ;) All guys were nice and helpful, always tried to do their best to satisfy any of your needs. Higly recommended quiet hotel in busy Kathmandu.

Room tip: Take a room with balcony.
Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed 1 night in this guest house and I was glad it was only one... The rooms are dirty, visible dry blood on the sheets, dirty floor in the room and bathroom, dripping shower which was impossible to turn off, toilet seat broken Torn mosquito netting on the windows and damp mould on the walls. Nobody available at reception at 10pm when I tried to get some water. Do not recommend this place, there are much nicer options available nearby.

Date of stay: April 2013