All reviewshot waterprivate balconycomfortable bedrooms are cleantrekking guidelaundry servicetoilet papermasala teaplace to stayguesthousehemrooftopnepal
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Nice quiet location, which is away from the craziness that can be Thamel. I had a nice sized balcony room, with plenty of hot water which was great after walking around the city. My room was large, comfortable and the balcony was a great place to sit with a cold brew at the end of the day .Staff are helpful and you can also book travel at the guesthouse.

Room Tip: The balcony and rooftop rooms are great if you are staying more then a few days and need a comfortable Kathmandu base, close to the action but not in the thick of it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Ive spent 20 different winters hanging out in Nepal. The first time was 30 years ago. I have stayed at a lot of different Guest houses in the Thamel area over the years, but I finally found a 'home' here. I really like the Family Peace House. Ive been staying here every year for five winters now. The staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel is quiet, which is important in noisy crowded Kathmandu, where you will need a quiet place to shut it all out. There is a good resturaunt in the hotel where you can have breakfast and coffee in the garden or on the rooftop. The rooms are large and spacious. There are balcony rooms-with large balcony- where you can sit in privacy and enjoy your breakfast. Many of the rooms have private bathroom and shower.
Its sort of hard to find a good hotel here in Kathmandu, and so once I found the Family peace house, I ended up being my base when I am in Kathmandu for the last five winters. It is centrally located, so that you can arrange youre expeditions, but is quiet since it is at the end of a road and so there is no through traffic. Traffic can be annoying in Kathmandu.
They will store youre luggage while you go trekking.
All in all, I really enjoy staying at the Family Peace House

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Nice and quiet location but close to the shops and night life in thamel. The staff is super friendly and the rooms are great for the price. Sheets are clean, bathrooms decent, and an epic rooftop view!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank kjparker
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights. A little walk outside of Thamel to get here, though we often got rickshaws because we'd sometimes get lost trying to find our way back to central Thamel! so a little bit further away than we'd like but it was reaaaly nice.
really nice rooftop garden to relax on with beautiful view of the mountains.
basic rooms etc and only room service available was drinks and hot drinks, so no restaurant or cafe in the hotel but that's no problem as there is other hotels with restaurants just minutes away.
wall-attached fan to keep the room cool and mountain views from our window as well and lots of natural daylight coming in. TV in room with good reception.
Very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pajarillo33
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay(s) at Family Peace Guesthouse (spring 2012). I returned to it many times after adventures in the wilds and ended up spending a relaxed month there at the end of my trip, by which time I was considered almost a resident by the amused staff! The location is excellent, on a friendly, quiet lane, yet minutes away from the madness of Thamel. Paknajol has a laid back atmosphere and there are plenty of places to eat and relax there if you fancy a day away from the crowds. I stayed in different rooms throughout my stay and they were all clean and bright. The rooftop has lovely views on a clear day and is a nice place to escape to with a book. The best thing about Family Peace Guesthouse is the staff - they made me feel really welcome and were full of reliable information. The guys were good fun and helpful. I booked a trek based on Bimal's recommendations and was very happy with it. Next time I go back to Nepal I am moving in!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo