All reviewshot waterprivate balconycomfortable bedrooms are cleantrekking guidelaundry servicetoilet papermasala teaplace to stayguesthousehemrooftopnepal
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed here in our end of our travel. Family peace house has most comfortable beds in around paknajol area. We really liked our stay here. Wifi is working good and Bimal is helpful to fix your internet problem. Boys helped us to find taxi to airport during strikes. we missed namaste and smiling faces every morning. For sure we will come back to Nepal and stay here!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank simon r
Reviewed May 21, 2012

In 2011 and 2012 we stayed for about 4 weeks in Family peace GH during our long stay in Nepal. Not 4 weeks in 1 time but a few days each time. Our experiences are varied.
First: it is tuked away in poknajol wich is a good thing. Not much noise from the street or dogs. It is situated next to a school but there is not much noise from that unless you think noise from children is disturbing. On the 4th floor is a little terrace in front of some rooms which is perfect to eat breakfast or read in the shade. I think you can here the talk in those rooms if you sit there, so the people there will not be that pleased with it. The rooftop is just concrete with some old tables and chairs without shade but it is quiet.
In high seoson about 900 rs for a double room an low season about 500 rs. On the ground floor they have some budget rooms in the garden.
The rooms are very different so take a few rooms to look at before you decide which 1 you take. Some are awefull, but they recently started to repaint the rooms and replace some things like some beds and matresses which is a good improvement.
The rooms are still not spotless but it is just fine for the money they ask.
Bathooms are not that clean. The lady who cleaned them is doing ok but it is just old. Lot of toilets are leaking water after flushing. They have to put on the hot water by a switch on the roof. Most times those switches are not on even they tell you they are. If there are not many guests in the house they just leave it off even when you ask for hot water. This is not good because you pay for hot water !!!! They are just on the roof and you can switch them on by youreself if the staff refuses :) They provide toiltpaper, clean sheets and towels if you ask. They have WiFi but no TV in the rooms. Every room have a fan no a/c-ed rooms.
The staff (owner) is not helpfull at all. At a fact he even cheated on us. Some of the boys working there try to do there best.
1 thing is the hot water i told you about. Other thing are tickets. They sold us bustickets for a price which was way to high. (We found out later). Commission is no problem but it cannot be 50 % on each busticket. The advice he can give you is also not correct each time. I think he have a few friends in a taxi and bus and just selling tickets from that compagny or advice his taxidrivers. Dont buy tickets or anything from him. Just go to a ticket office in the street.
Beside that the owner is not friendly. Never say a word. Dont do anything with a complains and he is not helpfull at all. Forgetting promised discount , and so on.
The food on the menu (except breakfast) they get from another guesthouse. Thats why you have to wait a long time to get (not even hot) dinner sometimes. There are a lot of restaurants nearby. It is better and cheaper. Breafast we simply bought from the bakery nearby and eat it on the rooftop. When the staf is eating they dont help you (even if you gave your order) so you can wait a long time before you get your order.

1 time they forgot our reservation. We had a confirmation mail and we rememberd them 10 days before we came. Still they had no rooms. Which was a problem because it was in high season and we could not get another room after we tryed in more then 8 other guesthouses. They offer us another room in a guesthouse but it was dirty and realy a awefull room. Small. no light, and so on. No excuse or what so ever from the owner.

If you go for a trekking you can leave youre backpacks behind in a storage. No charge added.
If you have to pay more then 800 or 900 in high season for there best room try to look somewere else.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank quotas
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I have only given 2 reviews prior to this one, and will only do it if I feel 100% satisfaction.
What can I say, but...... I Like this place.
Rooms are clean, well maintained. Area is quiet, no generator noises. Even when power is out in Kathmandu they have battery power which keeps the wii fii working. The people that run the place are friendly, and make you feel at home. The have rooms that cover every budget, and a roof top with view of the Himlaya's and Monkey Temple.
I have been here for a week, and will be leaving soon, but will be back here when I return to Kathmandu.
I have stayed in numerous places in KAthmandu over many years, and this is the first one that I am happy to recommend......
Good luck on your travels..
Brett

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Shantiguy
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I stayed at the Family Peace House for one night in December 2011. The room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. The rooftop patio is a nice place to spend the mornings reading and breakfast is available. The hostel is in Poknajol, a quiet area, about 5 minutes away from the main tourist area, Thamel. I really enjoyed my stay here and the staff were very friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank Caitlin G
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We wanted to book a place before arriving in Kathmandu so we didn’t have to walk around crowded streets to find something, so we relied on reviews from here to choose Family Peace House. Overall, not impressed at all with this place and strongly recommend that travelers stay elsewhere at one of the (many) nearby other guesthouses. I have no idea why this has been rated so highly by some.

On the plus side, the location is good, in Paknajol, a quiet-ish area very close to the main backpacker street in Thamel (less than 5 min walk). However, there is a school next door so there is constant daytime noise of loud kids.

Our room was okay, very basic. It was a double ensuite room on the top floor, so we had 3 walls with windows which was very nice to get the natural light. Bathroom was basic, with a dripping toilet and though we were promised hot water we didn’t have it for 2 days of our 4 day stay, which was inconvenient to say the least.

We had breakfast one morning here on the rooftop, and it was awful. Took about 40 min to get our eggs and toast and when it arrived it was cold. The rooftop is overrated, its just a small patch of concrete with a few tables and everytime we were up there we were sharing space with the staff and their friends who were taking up one of the tables, playing cards, and smoking cigarettes. It’s a fine place to sit and read for a bit but certainly not some garden oasis.

The most distressing thing to us about this place was the unhelpful staff. In a big city like Kathmandu it would have been helpful for the staff to help orient us, maybe give us a map or offer suggestions on things to do and some travel tips, but they did none of that. They were pretty silent most of the time, and when we asked questions it was like pulling teeth to get an answer. The man who supposedly works at the Travel Info desk there was useless. As an example, we told him we wanted to go to Nagarkot (to see the Himalayan mountain range from the lookout there) to spend a night. I had seen online that there were tourist shuttle buses that went there so I asked about them. He said they didn’t have shuttle buses, it was the low season now (which wasn’t the case – we were there in high season). I said I saw it online. He said no. I said well then what were our options…he said public bus or car. I again had to ask him to explain those options (pulling teeth) and he said for the public buses we’d have to take two of them and it wasn’t good, we should take a car. I asked how much a car was and he said 2,000 rupees or something ridiculous like that. So we went to another travel agent down the street and asked if they sold tourist shuttle bus tickets to Nagarkot and of course they did…for 350 rupees. Done!

Then, we talked to 3 of the staff members at the hotel to tell them we were in effect checking out to go to Nagarkot and wanted to store our luggage and then come back the next day to stay one more night. They said that was fine, they could store our bags. Great. So the morning we were leaving for Nagarkot we packed up and went to turn in our key and one staff guy said just to leave the bags in the room. We asked 'are you SURE that’s okay' several times and he said yes. So we left. Long story short, when we came back we took back our room and the next day when we were checking out they tried to charge us for the night we weren’t there. We obviously didn’t pay it and told them that 3 different staff members had confirmed that it was okay to leave our bags there. It was ridiculous and clearly no one there had communicated with each other.

We also gave the business card for the Tourist Shuttle bus to the Travel Desk guy and told him he should know that there indeed is a bus to Nagarkot so that if other guests want to go he won’t misinform them. He took the card and didn’t say a word. Finally my husband told him he was going to be sure to give them a negative review and suddenly he bounced into action all “thank you sir for your stay” and all nice.

Overall very unprofessional and unorganized staff and doesn’t seem to be a well managed place at all. It was nothing more than a bed to sleep in at night, when in Kathmandu you can do much better than that.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple