“Frank staff, friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Silver Home

Hotel Silver Home
Ranked #42 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
Germantown, Maryland
“Frank staff, friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed Hotel silver home for 5 days where i feel my second home. I enjoy with their hospitality and frank behavior. Local festival, events , foods , life style i heard from experience Hotel staff and travel desk of the hotel in a free of cost. From my room visible garden and morning sunrise reflect in the window. During my staying , i got hot shower, wi fi and support . Staff of the silver home , help to make my Indian visa and showing the direction of the embassy. I booked chit wan and paragliding with them, actually prices was reasonable. I taste Newari food(local food of the Kathmandu), Roxi(local wine) which i feel different and best. I like to highly recommendation hotel silver home. see you next time!!

Room Tip: Front side garden facing room are very beautiful
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

For Nepalese standard, you can't complain about Hotel Silver Home. Yes, the power is out for 8+ hours a day, and they don't have a generator, but for this price, it's acceptable. Breakfast was average at best, but again, at this price, who cares? You can get 24-hour power, gourmet breakfast and pay 25 times more for your room. But for a great budget guesthouse, with huge rooms, a decent location in Thamel and terrific staff, this is the place for you. Is it truly 5 stars? No. But for the price paid, there can't be many places better. Beds are great, showers take some time to heat up, but the water is hot. I got a better exchange rate at the hotel than on the street for local currency, a decent discount on my Mt Everest flight, free airport pick-up and the best advice for sightseeing. Couldn't be more pleased, thank you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

In my budget travelling trip in Nepal, i couldn't afford the private room due to the saving money and travelling south and south east Asia Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia when i search in the internet i find the room prices of the dorm just 300 Nepalese rupees. Lucky there is connecting WiFi in my bed even i like to come down dinning to exchange travel life and information. Travel desk was just in front of the reception. I ask my question , they are easily answering never bothering. I got bus ticket and rafting from there and rest of the trip myself basic upon their useful information plus my guide book lonely planet. Next time, i like to trek in Kanchenjunga at that time i think to join their travel desk for the documentation of the trip. I have great chance to put my valuable things in lockers in dorm room,there are more than 7 lockers safety box.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

In my business first trip in Nepal i was booked 2 nights deluxe room in Hotel silver home. In my prices of the room including the airport pick up and light breakfast, just i paid $15 per night for that. They arranges me the mountain flight trip on hours in the sky of Kathmandu, Evert and lang tang was still cheaper than the internet prices. I like the ideas simple or middle way so that hotel silver home fit for my thinking and simple and low expenditure in multiple countries travelling. iam not still fix the next business trip but l again like to book same hotel in Kathmandu.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed more than 5 nights at Hotel silver home with peace and comfort feelings. They arranges my travel documentation in my solo trip in Base camp of Everest as well as enough information like a family members for trip and travel Nepal. Hotel room was choice able and they are easy to service dealings. Hotel staff all are soluble, friendly more than that some guys are telling a funny stories and making laugh. anyway i find my budget places in Hotel silver home, thanks guys and all friendly people there.

Room Tip: Better to ask the prices and room varities
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
thinair85, Manager at Hotel Silver Home, responded to this review, February 2, 2015
Dear Valued Guest

We thank you for sharing about your stay at Hotel Silver Home and we are glad that you had enjoyed your stay.

We the Silver Home Team are delighted that we have made you feel warm Nepalese hospitality and it has been a pleasure having you as our guest.
Our guest's satisfaction is our main concern and we will try our best to create unique experiences and fond memories with a difference.
We thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to your next visit soon.

Warm Regards
Hotel Silver Home
Management Team
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

The hotel is situated in a backstreet close to the centre of Thamel. Unfortunately no matter where you are in Thamel, you cannot escape the noise from the clubs in the evening.

Telephone no. +977 (0)1 4262986

I stayed for one night in a room and about 14 nights in the dormitory over the 2 months that I was in Nepal. The dormitory is a great way of meeting people who are just finishing their trip and are full of useful hints and places to stay.
The dormitory is on the 5th floor so be prepared for the walk! Wifi at the time was not available on this floor but is on pretty much 24 hours in reception. There are computers available in reception when the power is on.

Staff are polite but don’t really know what events are going on in town. Make sure you read the local papers available in reception.

Be aware that booking a bed does not mean that when you arrive they will have a bed for you! Due to the amount of people turning up, they often give the beds away to people who walk in.
If you find yourself without a bed, the Shree La (end of the road – turn right) has a clean dorm for 200 rupees per night.

The dormitory itself has 10 beds, 1 bathroom and access to a balcony. It is reasonably clean and is good for 300 rupees per night including tax.

I was persuaded to go trekking and this was arranged though the hotel. You are going to pay a premium for booking anything through the hotel. It was a good trek but after I did other treks without a guide I did feel that I was severely overcharged.

The guide (Jaya Ram) was good though and he can be booked directly on: 9841544012

In case you are unaware, Kathmandu has power outages every day between 2 to 5 hours and at different times of the day. Check with reception, they will know or can find out when they power will come back on and for how long.

Would I go back to this hotel? yes.

Room Tip: Be careful that the room that you are after is suddenly not available. Be prepared to walk away, the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank 10_Downing_St
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Hotel silver home was great when i stay 3 night in Thamel in my Nepal trip. I stay standard single room which is completely peace, quiet and connecting the wi-fi network in my laptop. Actually i meet different traveler who stayed dorm to deluxe room in a travel campaign In Nepal Himalaya. All the staff of the Hotel very helpful, flexible and ready to inform any kinds of the places and attraction all over the Nepal. I had great chances to meet many backpackers in Hotel silver home and opportunity new introduction people from India to Indonesia as well as Usa to uk similarly Denmark Copenhagen to Dublin of Ireland. Nice garden face room and peace terrace to observation morning sunrise views and scenery of the neighboring market places. More than that i got room service in no time by flexible and hospitality team of the Hotel silver home. See you again and keep and touch.....

Room Tip: Budget flexible accommodation in thamel Kathmandu
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo