All reviews steam bath singing bowls peaceful environment each morning hot water reiki asana nasal chanting pollution monastery chaos
Reviewed September 22, 2016

It would be nice if they had spread the message ;
Himalayas of Nepal- the source of river Ganges and the origin place of Vedic Sanatan Dharma (the root of all the religion, Astrology, Ayurveda, Fengsui, Tantra, Yoga and Meditation). It would be a matter of pride for yoga lovers to be in the pious land of Guru Gorakshanath (the father of Tantra and Yoga) and to practice yoga and meditation from where it was started.

Room tip: garden view room
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank tushitanepal2015
Reviewed April 30, 2016

I stayed a HIYA for 5 days, and all of them were one of my favorites on my travels. I needed to destress and relax. Dr. Sobudh has unlimited knowledge and youga and meditation classes were great, learnt so much and improved my asanas. The food is vegetarian but very good, they will also theach you how to cook. You can go on walks in nature or visit the monkey temple. Staff will help you with just about everything, they are the loveliest. Also we had a lil celebration, we got to dress up in sarongs and experience the local celebration. Felt very special. Highly reccomend this place. Enjoy ;)

Room tip: perfect to destress and enjoy the peace and love
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank MAJA NOVAK M
Reviewed April 12, 2016 via mobile

Completed a 2 night/1 day retreat here. Overall, it was a nice way to get out of the city and meet interesting people as a solo traveler, but time could have been better spent on a trek or doing excellent yoga classes in Thamel, while staying in a guest house outside of town.

Location is tranquil, but still affected by the pollution. Food was fine Nepalese cuisine. Herbal tea was just weak tea.

Yoga and discourse was disappointing - only 2 yoga courses per day, and the evening session was just a guided meditation. He also does not correct postures, explain them or explain much about the true yoga philosophy.

Best part of the experience was meeting good people at the resort.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank KinParis
Reviewed June 10, 2015

My friend and I stayed in Kathmandu for a few days before and after our trek; we were thrilled we chose to stay at HIYA. This little yoga retreat is a bit of a drive outside the city but it was completely worth it - the air was fresh, the view over the city was nice, daily massages were a treat, and the food was completely delicious and healthy! Lala took wonderful care of us; his happy and genuine nature was contagious and brought regular smiles to our faces. We stayed in a cottage tent in the beginning and the Kailash bungalow on our return; both were good options, depending on your budget. The only piece that wasn't fantastic was the yoga and meditation - the main teacher while we were there (I'm guessing she was filling in?) wasn't great. We did have a visiting teacher for one morning class and he led one of the best classes I've taken. Support the rebuilding in Nepal and look at HIYA for a great and relaxing stay!

Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank trvlgirl2010
Reviewed May 24, 2015

At first I wasn't impressed but then realised it was because the manager tried to continue running the daily sessions without the resident Dr Subodh (who has a very good reputation but was in India on a course at the time). So other practitioners were brought in to the morning Yoga sessions and evening meditations. Eventually we got some good stand ins but I think the experience would have been different, perhaps better, if Dr Subodh was there.
The food was exceptional - Bijju and Ari are great cooks. The manager, Lala, always concerned for your happiness. And the inhouse masseuse was fantastic. Great views of the city and you can walk to Monkey Temple.
I would go back but would make sure that Dr Subodh is in, to take advantage of his naturopathic skills.
Stayed in the cottage tent. Quite cool in the evenings but quilt was warm. I think the tents would be too cold over the winter time.
Big thanks to Lala and owners for taking such good care of us during the earthquake ordeal. This place is run with such care and concern that all guests are happy.

Room tip: Make sure Dr Subodh is in residence to experience full value of this beautiful place.
Date of stay: April 2015