“Just for today I will have peace!”

Himalayan Yoga Academy and Retreat
Ranked #66 of 150 Specialty Lodging in Kathmandu
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed at HIYA for 10 nights. I found the retreat very calming and it was handy to be so close to Kathmandu to easily get a taxi but far enough away to get away from the pollution and to experience some local life. HIYA is very clean and well maintained and the staff are friendly especially if you make the effort to learn their names and make conversation.
The food!! Sooo good, the chef Arun really makes effort and takes pride serving all local dishes and very fresh. I never got tummy upset from HIYA. I will certainly miss they daily yoga breakfast, daliya.
Another positive is that there is flexibility with how many nights you stay etc (although i am sure this depends on how busy it is).
AS far as the yoga, prepare to do some chanting and some more unusual breathing poses, once i got into it, I really enjoyed it and can understand its importance. Also I joined some of the afternoon yoga that is normally just for the people doing the teacher training, but the instructor was fantastic and I would recommend negotiating some of these classes in your package if that's possible. Even though the daily morning class is ok for beginners, i would recommend having practiced yoga previously in order to be confident with the correct breathing and posture and techniques. Be sure to ask questions, the instructors will be happy to answer.
There are a few things to do around the area of HIYA that will keep you from feeling to closed in within the academy (ie: visit temples, monastary, schools etc).

Room Tip: The tents are really great! I never had problems with bugs or rain getting in. The beds have clean...
Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank melligan
There are newer reviews for Himalayan Yoga Academy and Retreat

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed at HIYA for 4 days and it was amazing. The yoga, therapies and meditation sessions are wonderful. The area is situated away from the busy city, great place for fresh air, quiet time and a nice view of the Kathmandu valley. The people are very friendly and hospitable and the food was great. They also responded to me promptly in such a short notice, everything was taken cared of and hassle free. I highly recommend this place for those who enjoy yoga and for those who wants to have a relaxing time on their own. I hope to come back again one day.
Kat C.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kat C
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed at HIYA for a week and absolutely loved it. Everybody there was so friendly and made me so welcome. The yoga, meditation and treatments were all fantastic and the food was great.
I stayed in a tent which was very comfortable and the views from it of the Kathmandu Valley were beautiful. I would highly recommend this place for anyone interested in yoga/meditation/relaxation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Katelin T
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I had a great time at HIYA. We did yoga every morning, meditation every evening, had great food, and great therapies. HIYA is located in the hills so it's away from the city and the air is fresh and clean. However, it's close enough to the city so that you can travel to the city if you wish.

It's incredibly relaxing and peaceful as well. I needed a break from my daily hectic life, and HIYA was the perfect place to be. I met many interesting and wonderful folks. Being at HIYA also gave me a new perspective on life, for which I'm grateful.

The one regret I have is that I went in January and it was very cold. I didn't realize there wouldn't be heat and so wasn't really prepared for the cold. Overall though, I had an amazing experience and highly recommend this yoga retreat!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank morrowkd
Reviewed May 20, 2012

It is in the hills, away from the busy Thamel region in downtown Kathmandu, which is a much needed escape. The green gardens are very peaceful, and the air is cleaner. Close enough to Thamel to be accessible, but much more relaxing. Yoga, meditation, massage, along with other therapies and cleansings - with those and the beautiful grounds it is set on, overall a very relaxing place to spend time!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Rob H
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The locations has a wonderful view to the Kathmandu Vally, but still out of the noice. Wonderful garden, and nice tents with at sittingarea. Nice, clean and simple, perfect for getting into the practicing of yoga. A stay of three nights and four days I got the feeling of getting into the "beats" of yoga, a nice introduction and a taste of the yoga lifestyle, meditation and tools to create a calm, focused and healthy body and mind. The stay gave me the a awarness of the balance that is possible to contribute (or at least reach for!) while doing yogameditation. Wish I could stay a little longer!
Namaste.
...do not sleep. Kari.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kari W
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I spent 5 days here over Easter. I came in desperate need of some down time away from my hectic life in Hong Kong. I left feeling so refreshed, re-energised and happy. Yoga every morning, mediation every evening and lots of interesting people passing through on the way back from a great trekking adventure or full of expectation for a great adventure ahead. The location is perfect. 15-20 minutes in a taxi to the centre of Katmandu, set in the foothills of the Himalaya's, beautifully tranquil, and restful and yet close enough to explore the main tourist sites. Fabulous walks in the surrounding areas in breathtaking scenery that nurtures the soul. Helpful, friendly, happy, staff whose energy and warmth rubs off on you. Delicious healthy, vegetarian food. I defy anyone not to leave this place relaxed. happy and ready for life!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Flashski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kathmandu
Dwarika's Hotel
#1 of 12 in Bhaktapur
Nirvana Home
Nirvana Home
#249 of 454 in Kathmandu

Been to Himalayan Yoga Academy and Retreat? Share your experiences!