“Relaxing, peaceful, happy place!”

Himalayan Int'l Yoga Academy and Research Center
Ranked #51 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Kathmandu
Denver, Colorado
“Relaxing, peaceful, happy place!”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I had a great time at HIYA. We did yoga every morning, meditation every evening, had great food, and great therapies. HIYA is located in the hills so it's away from the city and the air is fresh and clean. However, it's close enough to the city so that you can travel to the city if you wish.

It's incredibly relaxing and peaceful as well. I needed a break from my daily hectic life, and HIYA was the perfect place to be. I met many interesting and wonderful folks. Being at HIYA also gave me a new perspective on life, for which I'm grateful.

The one regret I have is that I went in January and it was very cold. I didn't realize there wouldn't be heat and so wasn't really prepared for the cold. Overall though, I had an amazing experience and highly recommend this yoga retreat!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank morrowkd

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Park City, Utah
Reviewed May 20, 2012

It is in the hills, away from the busy Thamel region in downtown Kathmandu, which is a much needed escape. The green gardens are very peaceful, and the air is cleaner. Close enough to Thamel to be accessible, but much more relaxing. Yoga, meditation, massage, along with other therapies and cleansings - with those and the beautiful grounds it is set on, overall a very relaxing place to spend time!

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rob H
Oslo
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The locations has a wonderful view to the Kathmandu Vally, but still out of the noice. Wonderful garden, and nice tents with at sittingarea. Nice, clean and simple, perfect for getting into the practicing of yoga. A stay of three nights and four days I got the feeling of getting into the "beats" of yoga, a nice introduction and a taste of the yoga lifestyle, meditation and tools to create a calm, focused and healthy body and mind. The stay gave me the a awarness of the balance that is possible to contribute (or at least reach for!) while doing yogameditation. Wish I could stay a little longer!
Namaste.
...do not sleep. Kari.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kari W
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I spent 5 days here over Easter. I came in desperate need of some down time away from my hectic life in Hong Kong. I left feeling so refreshed, re-energised and happy. Yoga every morning, mediation every evening and lots of interesting people passing through on the way back from a great trekking adventure or full of expectation for a great adventure ahead. The location is perfect. 15-20 minutes in a taxi to the centre of Katmandu, set in the foothills of the Himalaya's, beautifully tranquil, and restful and yet close enough to explore the main tourist sites. Fabulous walks in the surrounding areas in breathtaking scenery that nurtures the soul. Helpful, friendly, happy, staff whose energy and warmth rubs off on you. Delicious healthy, vegetarian food. I defy anyone not to leave this place relaxed. happy and ready for life!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Flashski
dm2659
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I spent a week at the Centre with the aim of learning meditation, yoga and recharging my body.
The first thing that I noticed was the halo of pure air that surrounds the centre - a far cry from the heavy city pollution. The warm welcome is enhanced by the glowing faces of the guests, it was clear to me straight away I was in a place that would be good for my health.

Food at the centre is organic with no meat, totally delicious as well as cleansing for the body. One of my highlights of the week was helping in the kitchen and learning how to make Momos!

Daily treatments add a touch of luxury, I particularly enjoyed the reiki which left my body fully relaxed and floating.

Morning yoga and evening mediation are available every day and are educational, restorative and enjoyable classes. I have learnt a lot and feel equipped to take the practices back to my everyday life.

Teaching also takes place at the centre and these long term classes create a sense of community and family at the centre that is very welcome to those travelling from place to place.

I loved sleeping in my tent, it was very comfortable and refreshing to be close to nature - do bring ear plugs for a restful nights sleep!

There are many activities nearby and the team at the centre are glad to help with any trips you want to make.

I had the good fortune of meeting the astrologer - if you can have your palm read with him it comes highly reccomended!

I leave feeling rebalanced, recharged and restored and look forward to returning to the centre again in the future.

Thank you to the Dr and the amazing staff who have al contributed to a healing week.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs if you sleep in the tents!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank dm2659
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed May 1, 2012

This place is in a quiet and peaceful location, clean and well maintained, comfortable, and beautifully calming. The best part about staying here was meeting the staff. Not only were they completely professional and hardworking, but they were some of the nicest people I have met in a long time. The chef was so easy to talk to and taught me about Nepali cooking. His food was absolutely AMAZING and probably the best food I had in Asia. It was so nice of the other staff members to walk me around the villages, take me to the monkey temple, and to a buddhist monastery. I even got a fun language lesson on the way there. The massage treatments were so relaxing and I really felt she cared about what she doing instead of just treating us like customers. The yoga and meditation might be a little different than what people are used to because he teaches with lots of lecturing and moves through the postures quite quickly but you do learn a lot. It was a great experience overall.

Room Tip: You can stay in the bungalow or the tents. If you can afford it, staying in the bungalows are worth...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank HappyVegasGirl
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Our few days spent at HIYA was extremely great and we benefitted a lot from Dr Subodh yoga and meditation teachings. He is a guru with great knowledge and even treated me using Reiki therapy, it was an awesome experieince to try. The staff were excellent, especially the chef who cooked up some very nice food. I even learned some recipes, which he was very generous with. Nice quiet place to go for meditation and yoga.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ann_AngJH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kathmandu
Kantipur Temple House
#8 of 198 in Kathmandu
Hotel Himalaya Yoga
Hotel Himalaya Yoga
#64 of 433 in Kathmandu

Been to Himalayan Int'l Yoga Academy and Research Center? Share your experiences!