“An enchanting place”

and up
Private Lumbini And Kapilvastu Buddhist Pilgrimage Tour
Ranked #9 of 185 things to do in Kathmandu
More attraction details
Owner description: The Garden of Dreams, a neo classical historical garden, is situated in the midst of Kathmandu city, Nepal. The Garden's design has much in common with formal European gardens: paved perimeter paths, punctuated by pavilions, trellises, and various planting areas, surrounded by a sunken flower garden with a large pond at its center. It is an architectural landscape that encourages the visitor to stroll around and discover the Garden's treasures from many different vantage points.
Reviewed June 5, 2014

It was an enchanting place, refreshing to look at and spend a romantic evening with a loved one. it was truly a place you can only dream about, but it comes at a high price. the entrance fee is too much and the food good but overpriced. Ideal if you are celebrating something with your lover and don't mind spending a little more for the romantic setting.

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

The Garden Entry Fees is Rs.200 For Non-Nepali, Silent Garden With Tea Salon, Bar And Restaurant. We Can Get Polyster Mattress And Pillow From Security Guards.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

The Garden of Dreams in Kathmandu is a beautiful neo-classical garden which, in collaboration with the Austrians, has been designed as a peaceful oasis in the heart of the city with striking architecture and an array of unique flora and fauna brought here from across the globe.

One thing everybody will notice when they arrive in Nepal is the horrible pollution. Yet there are a few parts of Kathmandu where the pollution is not as evident – nor evident at all, actually. The Garden of Dreams, near to Thamel Marg where my hotel was located, is certainly one of those places.

It is true that the area is crawling with both tourists and local Nepali people, and it does get very busy. However, if you are willing to brave the crowds, and pay the grossly over-priced 200 Rupees for entry to the Garden, then this will surely be one of the highlights of your short stay in Kathmandu. After hearing many disapproving stories online for such a high admission fee for a ” simple garden”, I did question whether I wanted to spend that kind of money, as I was running low on local currency in my wallet and I didn’t want to use an ATM here for security reasons. In the end, I thought that it would be too good an opportunity to miss, and one afternoon I took a local taxi literally around the corner from my hotel to the entrance of the Garden of Dreams.

The Garden of Dreams is unlike anything I have seen before in my travels across Asia and the sub-continent. I am used to Japanese-inspired gardens, landscaped botanic gardens, and of course the tropical settings of the likes of the Lodhi Gardens in Delhi, and the Lake Gardens in Kuala Lumpur. But here at the Garden of Dreams, everything was very European-like, and I think that must be the reason it is so popular with the Nepali people, as it must seem like a form of escapism to them. There were many small groups and romantic couples have a picnic on the grasses here, but there is also a coffee shop called Kaiser Café, which serves international cuisine, albeit at rather expensive prices. The Garden is open from 10am to 9pm each day.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

The first time we visited at the beginning of our holiday in Nepal was bliss, it was mid week, and very quiet and relaxing, somewhat of a haven from the madness,. hustle and bustle, noise and pollution that is Kathmandu. We wandered around the lovely gardens admiring the flowers, trees, shrubbery and wildlife (squirrels and birds). We stopped at the restaurant and had drinks and food (a little expensive by Nepal standards but still cheap compared to home). We visited again at the end of our holiday as we were back in Kathmandu just for 1 night prior to our return flight. it was so busy as it was the weekend full of lots of courting couples, noisy children and not quite the haven we'd been fortunate to experience on our previous midweek visit. You pay an entrance fee and if you go out are not allowed back in.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

The garden is a great place to get away from the chaos that is Kathmandu, but they charge you a small sum of 90 rupees. Which is worth it. However the garden is very small but very beautiful! Worth the visit, take a book and enjoy your escape from the chaos. Just don't expect a huge garden you can lose your self in for hours.