“Great place to stay in the heart of Thamel”

Ambassador Garden Home
Ranked #34 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I definitively recommend this hotel. It is right in the middle of Thamel, the place to be in Katmandu, but set back a little bit, so it is relatively quiet. The service is wonderful! The rooms are clean and decorated with modern nepalese furnitures. If you can invest 15 USD more per night, I recommend to book the deluxe room; it is more spacious and comfortable than the regular room. But the regular room we first had was fine also.

Mélanie

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ambassador Garden Home

Reviewed September 24, 2009

I recently stayed at the Ambassador Garden Home and could not recommend it more highly. The entire hotel, from the layout to the staff, combined to make a friendly and welcoming space (not to mention the cleanest place I saw in Kathmandu!). The owner and staff are friendly and warm without being obtrusive.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I have lived and worked in Nepal off and on since 1976. Among the various hotels I have stayed in when In Kathmandu (both cheap and expensive), this is the only hotel that I will return to for future stays. Excellent service, relatively quiet (despite its location in the tourist hub of Thamel), clean comfortable rooms, good internet access, and reasonable price are the reasons I will return. Calling it a "home" rather than a hotel is appropriate given the warmth of the staff and small number (18) of well-appointed rooms making up the Ambassador garden home. --King Beach

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2009

My friend and I stayed at the AGH in late August 2009. Although it is in Thamel, AGH is actually set back from the main street which gave it a secluded feel. The AGH is a relaxed boutique hotel. Its staff were extremely helpful and there is a free rickshaw tour of the city if you stay for two nights and more.

I would say that the AGH is a 3 1/2 star hotel in the Western classification. It was the most comfortable hotel we stayed at during our stay in Nepal. Its rooms are well annointed and the decor is tasteful. The bathroom was clean and modern. The pictures on Tripadvisor and its website are accurate depictions of what the rooms look like.

The breakfast was excellent. There is free wifi internet in the lobby/reception/eating area. There is however, no air conditioning (but this was ok as it was not hot when I visited and we were given fans).

Just a reminder, there is an Ambassador Hotel elsewhere so make sure you specify the Ambassador Garden Home when you book with a travel agent or when travelling there.

Reviewed August 30, 2009

i stayed at the AGH having prebooked. despite the fact i was delayed in delhi by one day they still arranged a driver to pick me up from the airport which saved lots of hassle. My welcome to the hotel was fantastic. I felt like i was entering someones home. the service is impeccable. they are so friendly and accomodating. If you dislike thamel itself but want access to its amenities then this is a good place to stay. the food is excellent and i used room service alot. the AGH is very centrally located and perfect for a day either side of the main holiday which for me was in pokhara. the cost was not cheap but it was reasonable as the rooms and facilities were immaculate.the decor was very tasteful and modern - the AGH has been open less than a year after a complete refurbishment. they have style thats for sure. they had a deal on for low season whereby you stay three nights but pay for two - most excellent. The only problem i can report is the noise in rooms at the front of the hotel. There is only so much rock music you can take. the fire club was great for a night but i didnt want them "entertaining me" while i tried to sleep. get a room at the back - much quieter. The breakfast is also excellent and the place had a boutique feel to it. the security was also good as the AGH was set back from the main road. an oasis of calm surrounded by the chaos of thamel. just down the street is third eye restaurant where i had some fantastic food. so all in all a great place but expensive compared to its neighbours. good value for money however and a great place to stay if you want a five star feel at a three star price.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 22, 2009

After 34 days of traveling, trekking and exploring the grand open spaces of Central & Western Tibet our great guide service, TREK NEPAL dropped us off at the gate of the Ambassador Garden Home in the hustle and chaos of Thamel, Katmandu. We were greeted by the blaring rock bands, honking horns and general noisy neighborhood. and I wasnt quite sure if this would be the proper place as basecamp to explore Katmandu. Once inside, within minutes of arriving I was won over to this wonderful hotel/home.
The rooms, garden/dining area and lobby were quiet, lush and roomy. The bedrooms were sparse but open with large windows on the opposite side as the street and that opened large to fresh air and minimal noise. But the best part was the staff from the owner, Prakash...and general manager, Nabin, all the way to the cooks. Frequently they would escort us around Katmandu, introducing us to various festivals, shrines and temples. We were guided to spectacular events like the Cow Festival (I will NEVER for get the people & spectacle of that...NEVER !) . We were also visited several times by a spiritual advisor who sat with us over coffee and discussed the philosophy of Buddism and Hinduist ceremonies and religion.
Also Nabin went with us on several shopping trips. Once he arranged for me to buy a traditional Nepali outfit for my wife (and sat with us for over an hour to make sure I got the right fit , colorsand price) then walked with us to the other side of town to buy a Nepali bike for someone else in our group ( AND have it shipped as well !) They arranged a wonderful, reasonal priced elephant safari and tour at Chitwan NP and stay at Pokara as well. Needless to say our stay was great. We were scheduled to stay 2 days but stayed 12 instead.
The home is centrally located and we had easy access to almost everywhere ( 15 minute taxi drives even in that insane Katmandu traffic). It was a wonderful experience made spectacular by the staffs knowledge and caring attitude. Cant wait to go back for another mango lassi.

1  Thank quikpencil
Reviewed August 16, 2009

This is one of the best hotels of been in all my trips around the world: elegant, clean, cozy, great staff. Here I found all the services of a 4 star hotel, but with the relaxing feeling of being at home, were people really cared about every single client. On my 50st birthday, I was also surprised by the staff with a birthday party, a cake, bottle of wine, ....just great!!!