“great place bit pricey”

Ranked #25 of 193 Hotels in Kathmandu
afghanistan
“great place bit pricey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

i stayed at the AGH having prebooked. despite the fact i was delayed in delhi by one day they still arranged a driver to pick me up from the airport which saved lots of hassle. My welcome to the hotel was fantastic. I felt like i was entering someones home. the service is impeccable. they are so friendly and accomodating. If you dislike thamel itself but want access to its amenities then this is a good place to stay. the food is excellent and i used room service alot. the AGH is very centrally located and perfect for a day either side of the main holiday which for me was in pokhara. the cost was not cheap but it was reasonable as the rooms and facilities were immaculate.the decor was very tasteful and modern - the AGH has been open less than a year after a complete refurbishment. they have style thats for sure. they had a deal on for low season whereby you stay three nights but pay for two - most excellent. The only problem i can report is the noise in rooms at the front of the hotel. There is only so much rock music you can take. the fire club was great for a night but i didnt want them "entertaining me" while i tried to sleep. get a room at the back - much quieter. The breakfast is also excellent and the place had a boutique feel to it. the security was also good as the AGH was set back from the main road. an oasis of calm surrounded by the chaos of thamel. just down the street is third eye restaurant where i had some fantastic food. so all in all a great place but expensive compared to its neighbours. good value for money however and a great place to stay if you want a five star feel at a three star price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
claremont, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

After 34 days of traveling, trekking and exploring the grand open spaces of Central & Western Tibet our great guide service, TREK NEPAL dropped us off at the gate of the Ambassador Garden Home in the hustle and chaos of Thamel, Katmandu. We were greeted by the blaring rock bands, honking horns and general noisy neighborhood. and I wasnt quite sure if this would be the proper place as basecamp to explore Katmandu. Once inside, within minutes of arriving I was won over to this wonderful hotel/home.
The rooms, garden/dining area and lobby were quiet, lush and roomy. The bedrooms were sparse but open with large windows on the opposite side as the street and that opened large to fresh air and minimal noise. But the best part was the staff from the owner, Prakash...and general manager, Nabin, all the way to the cooks. Frequently they would escort us around Katmandu, introducing us to various festivals, shrines and temples. We were guided to spectacular events like the Cow Festival (I will NEVER for get the people & spectacle of that...NEVER !) . We were also visited several times by a spiritual advisor who sat with us over coffee and discussed the philosophy of Buddism and Hinduist ceremonies and religion.
Also Nabin went with us on several shopping trips. Once he arranged for me to buy a traditional Nepali outfit for my wife (and sat with us for over an hour to make sure I got the right fit , colorsand price) then walked with us to the other side of town to buy a Nepali bike for someone else in our group ( AND have it shipped as well !) They arranged a wonderful, reasonal priced elephant safari and tour at Chitwan NP and stay at Pokara as well. Needless to say our stay was great. We were scheduled to stay 2 days but stayed 12 instead.
The home is centrally located and we had easy access to almost everywhere ( 15 minute taxi drives even in that insane Katmandu traffic). It was a wonderful experience made spectacular by the staffs knowledge and caring attitude. Cant wait to go back for another mango lassi.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank quikpencil
pordenone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

This is one of the best hotels of been in all my trips around the world: elegant, clean, cozy, great staff. Here I found all the services of a 4 star hotel, but with the relaxing feeling of being at home, were people really cared about every single client. On my 50st birthday, I was also surprised by the staff with a birthday party, a cake, bottle of wine, ....just great!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

My friends and I had occasion to stay at this hotel recently and it was an amazing experience. The hotel is an oasis of calm in the heart of the chaos of Thamel. The owners like to call their place a home rather than a hotel and it definately felt like home. The location is ideal for exploring Thamel, within walking distance of a number of Kathmandu sites and close to lots of good restaurants. The food in the Ambassador is excellent. The restaurant setting in the garden is most peacefull and relaxing. They serve an exquisite Nepalese meal and you can order breakfast for whatever time suits(excellent idea after all the early starts we had in Tibet}. Last but by no means least I want to mention the staff and the service. The staff were friendly, helpfull couldnt do enough for us without being intrusive. Whether it was information on travel, ordering taxies, advice on restaurants or even a cure for a cold there was allways a member of staff on hand to help. The Ambassador was the ideal location to kick back relax and recharge the batteriies. It most definately felt like home for us, all our needs were catered for our wish was definately their command. Amazing place amazing people and definately value for money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

It was my first time to nepal, and I was meeting my girlfriend for the first time after a long time. So I wanted this trip to be a memorable one. When I got picked up from the airport by Nabin (General Manager of Ambassador Garden Home) I knew I was going to enjoy my nepali experience. The Hotel was beautiful, and the staff was very helpful to us. The owner Prakash welcomed us with open arms and me and my girlfriend both felt as if we were part of his family. The room was very spacious and comfortable. The food was excellent and cheap!!! The breakfast was great and after trying everything in the menu for 4 days, the chef made us food which are even not on the menu!!!. I can still taste the parota roti’s and momons.

The ambassador garden home named after the great grandfather of Prakash who was an ambassador to china, the beautiful garden it has to offer and the homely environment that was created by the hotel staff. Located right in the heart of thamel, it is the best hotel you are ever going to get in Kathmando due to its price and quality. We got a super deluxe room for 75 dollars per day including breakfast!!, due to off season if you to stay for two nights you get the third night for free. But the main selling point of this hotel is not its cheap and comfortable rooms, or its amazing food nor the great atmosphere created by the nepali antiques and the garden. It’s the unparallel service that was provided by its staff. The staff was very quick to respond to our needs and very polite. Once we got up at 10.30 pm and found out the kitchen was closed and it was raining heavily. But Nabin took an umbrella and walked all-around thamel with me to find a good restaurant to get takeaway!! The owner prakash is a very kind man and treats his staff well. Nabin and prakash both made my short trip a very memorable one.

The hotel has cheap internet access, and cheap international calling facilities. It has 18 freshly built rooms with 2 super deluxe rooms, 4 deluxe rooms and 12 superior rooms. All are very reasonably priced and very comfortable. If you want a deluxe room book one week in advance since there is only two rooms. If you are lucky you might also get to meet an astrologer who stays there only on Fridays. The conversation I had with him was very interesting.

I will definitely return to ambassador garden home and I wish the best of luck to prakash, Nabin and to AGH staff. Don’t ever change!!!!

More info www.theagh.com

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Delft, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

I know its sounds as if I am exaggerating when I say it's Ambassador Garden Home is the best hotel I ever stayed in (and believe me, I stayed in a LOT of places) but it's really true! The place feels homey. Yep, that's it, it feels like coming home! The "lobby" is more like a cosy living room, the garden is great, the rooms are stylish and clean, the food is good and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful! And while the price is not entirely low-end, it's still very affordable!

Not all taxi drivers know the hotel yet as it's newly renovated (and perhaps the name was changed too?) Just tell them it's left next to Kathmandu Guest House.

Albert-Jan & Lori
Netherlands

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Naravadeenui, Managing Partner at Ambassador Garden Home, responded to this review, July 19, 2009
Thank you so much for your compliment. I hope you will come back and visit us again very soon. We will also be promoting our hotel and its location to more people in the travel industry. Hopefully by the time you come back, more Kathmandu taxi will know where we are located :-)

Warmest regards,

Prakash, Nabin, Nui & the AGH Team
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

This beautifully renovated hotel has clean rooms, imaculately decorated and spaceous. ITs inexpensive and in a perfect location. Also, the breakfast was great, and the garden cafe is really cute! A perfect sanctuary in Kathmandu madness.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Naravadeenui, Managing Partner at Ambassador Garden Home, responded to this review, July 20, 2009
We can't say "thank you" enough to you. Because to have taken the time to write a review, our business are slowly but steadily growing! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

We all look forward to having you back at the AGH.

Prakash, Nabin, Nui na the AGH Team.