“Excellent small hotel with a beautiful courtyard garden”

Ambassador Garden Home
Ranked #34 of 207 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Peaceful & welcoming but just steps to everything in Thamel.
Our first time here but we read the reviews & figured we needed somewhere like this to decompress after a week crossing Tibet & staying at the Everest base camp.
Very glad we did !
Its the people & the amazing service that make this place so different from all the other Kathmandu hotels - from the first warm & genuine welcome everyone you meet will do everything they can to make your stay great.
Rooms are smallish but very nice - and with a lovely courtyard full of bougainvillea & fountains where breakfast is served & you can have coffee or chai any time + a very comfortable indoor entrance room to chat or use computers + the whole of Thamel outside the front door, you probably won't be spending very long in them.
Breakfast is by the way excellent - lots of bacon & eggs if you're starving after a trek and really great meusli & fruit curd [aka yogurt] + mango juice & lovely press coffee
Its do good it books up quickly, but if you can get a room enjoy !

Room Tip: Don't think there are any bad ones
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Ambassador Garden Home was the perfect retreat after 2 weeks of trekking. It provides all of the comforts of home and it is the attention to detail that make it different from the rest. Prakesh is a wonderful caring host and prides himself on the family run accommodation, he really is a pleasure to chat with and provides a wealth of knowledge about Nepal. He has 2 adorable pug dogs which made our stay extra special. The food was top notch. I will be staying at the Ambassador on my next visit to Kathmandu. Thank you Prakesh!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed several times at AGH and it is my favourite hotel in Kathmandu for value and comfort. This time I came with my wife and young daughter. Prakash and his team couldn't have been more helpful and inviting.

The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, the food is great and the service is excellent. Since the hotel is quite small its best to try and book ahead!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the property to avoid noise from busy Thamel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 26, 2013

When we first went to this small bijou hotel in the heart of Thamel back in 2009 (just after it opened) we were very taken with its general ambiance and the 'can do' attitude of the staff . this year we returned for the 5th time. Many 'upgrades' have taken place over this time including new and incredibly comfortable new mattresses, new tables and chairs in the garden restaurant and new tasty options on Sanu's men as well as a choice of fine whiskies.

The Ambassador Breakfast (cooked) is amongst the best in Kathmandu and its spag bog to be sought after. .

The only draw back is that it is now so popular it is sometimes hard to get a booking but you meet really interesting people there

Room Tip: stay on the garden side
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friends and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights during our time in Kathmandu. We absolutely loved it, great location in Thamel and the service was amazing. We were given a room upgrade for our entire stay. The owner and staff were very friendly and hospitable. Breakfast was well above average for Nepal standards. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We felt so at home that we were even able to leave valuables in the outdoor garden and return knowing that they would still be there!
When one of my friends was sick, they provided a car with driver to take us to hospital, and waited for us to take us home! great service and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Deluxe room was very spacious
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Omaster1
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here for one night before my trekking tour started. My trekking tour was not associated with this hotel and started from another hotel. It was perfectly adequate after my 22 hour journey to Nepal. I had a room facing the garden which is key and my air conditioning was loud enough that it drowned out any other sound coming in. I slept great. The included breakfast was good and I didn't have any cleanliness issues with it. The staff were very pleasant to me and the guy at the desk in the morning took me over to my next hotel instead of giving me directions. I was happy he did considering the winding back roads of Thamel we used to get there. They also let me use the phone free of charge in the morning to make a local call. The wifi worked well and I was able to make a skype call home to the States. It sounded like they were next door the connection was so good. There are cheaper places of course, but this did the trick for one night.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the back garden.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ihavethewanders
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights from 29 th march 2013, felt totally ripped off .I have just reread all the reviews and cannot believe that they are of the same place.On arrival we were taken to our room ,it was on the 3 rd floor ,looking onto the street and next door to the nightclub.because I had read reviews we specifically asked and paid $100 aus dollars for a garden deluxe room.I immediately asked to be moved ,was told we had been upgraded ,and that no other room was available,but tomorrow we could move.We spoke to another couple that the same thing had happened to.I wonder if this is common practice, give you a noisy room till you complain!!.We were moved the next day to a room half the size and aircon not working.We moved to another hotel Day 4, it was half the price in a great location and far less noisy.I think because we had already booked our trek we were of no interest to the owner.Kitchen staff were friendly and breakfast was really good.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple