“A home away from home!”

Ambassador Garden Home
Ranked #30 of 210 Hotels in Kathmandu
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed several times at AGH and it is my favourite hotel in Kathmandu for value and comfort. This time I came with my wife and young daughter. Prakash and his team couldn't have been more helpful and inviting.

The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, the food is great and the service is excellent. Since the hotel is quite small its best to try and book ahead!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the property to avoid noise from busy Thamel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 26, 2013

When we first went to this small bijou hotel in the heart of Thamel back in 2009 (just after it opened) we were very taken with its general ambiance and the 'can do' attitude of the staff . this year we returned for the 5th time. Many 'upgrades' have taken place over this time including new and incredibly comfortable new mattresses, new tables and chairs in the garden restaurant and new tasty options on Sanu's men as well as a choice of fine whiskies.

The Ambassador Breakfast (cooked) is amongst the best in Kathmandu and its spag bog to be sought after. .

The only draw back is that it is now so popular it is sometimes hard to get a booking but you meet really interesting people there

Room Tip: stay on the garden side
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friends and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights during our time in Kathmandu. We absolutely loved it, great location in Thamel and the service was amazing. We were given a room upgrade for our entire stay. The owner and staff were very friendly and hospitable. Breakfast was well above average for Nepal standards. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We felt so at home that we were even able to leave valuables in the outdoor garden and return knowing that they would still be there!
When one of my friends was sick, they provided a car with driver to take us to hospital, and waited for us to take us home! great service and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Deluxe room was very spacious
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Omaster1
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here for one night before my trekking tour started. My trekking tour was not associated with this hotel and started from another hotel. It was perfectly adequate after my 22 hour journey to Nepal. I had a room facing the garden which is key and my air conditioning was loud enough that it drowned out any other sound coming in. I slept great. The included breakfast was good and I didn't have any cleanliness issues with it. The staff were very pleasant to me and the guy at the desk in the morning took me over to my next hotel instead of giving me directions. I was happy he did considering the winding back roads of Thamel we used to get there. They also let me use the phone free of charge in the morning to make a local call. The wifi worked well and I was able to make a skype call home to the States. It sounded like they were next door the connection was so good. There are cheaper places of course, but this did the trick for one night.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the back garden.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ihavethewanders
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights from 29 th march 2013, felt totally ripped off .I have just reread all the reviews and cannot believe that they are of the same place.On arrival we were taken to our room ,it was on the 3 rd floor ,looking onto the street and next door to the nightclub.because I had read reviews we specifically asked and paid $100 aus dollars for a garden deluxe room.I immediately asked to be moved ,was told we had been upgraded ,and that no other room was available,but tomorrow we could move.We spoke to another couple that the same thing had happened to.I wonder if this is common practice, give you a noisy room till you complain!!.We were moved the next day to a room half the size and aircon not working.We moved to another hotel Day 4, it was half the price in a great location and far less noisy.I think because we had already booked our trek we were of no interest to the owner.Kitchen staff were friendly and breakfast was really good.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joey0710
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I find it difficult to add to the other glowing reviews of the Ambassador - we stayed here for several nights, both before and after the trekking trip to Poon Hill, organized by the same famous Bicky.

The hotel itself is well placed right in the heart of Thamel, with nice rooms and a great little restaurant in the hotel's back garden - where the food is actually safe to eat (not an insignificant issue in Nepal)!. The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful and the backup generator (a very important feature in Kathmandu) - and room wi-fi access - worked flawlessly.

More importantly, at least for those who are in Kathmandu as a prelude to trekking, was the organization of our trekking tour. As Bicky says, this may not be the cheapest way to organize one, but it's very reasonably priced and very well executed. One of the amazing things you experience at the end of a long (and arduous) day somewhere in the middle of the Himalayas is your guide (and you should have one) getting a phone call for Bicky (where cell reception is available, which isn't everywhere) trying to make sure that his poor charges (us) are still alive!

Hotel and trip are both highly recommended, really.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights at the start of our trip and we got Bicky, who works in hotel to organize our trek to Poon Hill. I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel and there staff. The trip they arranged was just amazing and they were willing to accommodate our every request. We ended up coming back on staying for another night after our trek. Rooms are perfect, food was great and the atmosphere was superb. I highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: I recommend the deluxe room. Spacious and comfortable. Really comfy beds.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple