“Not what I expected”
Review of Hotel Potala

Hotel Potala
Ranked #91 of 469 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2012

From other reviews I expected more from this place.
The deluxe double rooms are certainly not deluxe and many rooms are damp...
The breakfast seemed to always upset our stomachs..
When we left, the guy tried to charge up 1,200 more than the actual amount. When I asked him why it was higher that I had calculated he claimed it was the 'exchange rate' that had changed. I knew the exchange rate and told him what the cost should be and he agreed immediately so knew exactly what he was doing. I don't expect this from a hotel, it is basically theft.

One positive thing I would say is the overworked guy who serves in the restaurant is friendly, even if he does work 15 hour days, 7 days a week!

I guess if your after a budget place its okay, but we stayed in much better places in Thamel for same price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tabbot

Reviewed October 4, 2012

So, I stayed there for almost two weeks and I enjoyed my stay. WiFi worked in room almost without problems and staff was super friendly all the time. Also the central location was really nice. The basic single room was realy basic, but that's what I paid for so I don't have any complaints about that qnd like I said WiFi worked almost like a charm in my room. And saluting with a watchman in the evenings just brought a smile on my face. Ok, it's quite noisy untill 11pm but after that it's really quiet considering its really, really central location. Also the roomrates won't break your bank, the fact that really makes this place stand out considering that you even get a realy nice breakfast on the side. So, If you are looking for a hotel in KTM, look no further.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is a great place to stay while visiting Kathmandu--it's in the heart of Thamel, at the Thamel Chowk, and the group of people running it are a bunch of sweethearts. They offer great services, many of which are free, including free tourist information, just downstairs in the main lobby. They're happy to set up trips for you to remote locations, along with grab a taxi with you to make sure you make it to all of your locations safely and not fear being taken advantage of. Some of the rooms are noisier than others, depending on the location, as it is situated next to a bar with a live band, but if you're choosy with which room you would like, the wing 105 and over is the least noisy. I greatly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amm14
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Great location in the middle of Thamel, nice very helpful staff, and good prices. The included breakfast is nice and the common area is great for meeting up with fellow travelers. It's definitely noisy until 11pm (as all of Thamel is), but after then it's quiet. The WiFi almost always worked (good for KTM).

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank AlpinWeiss
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The receptionist on duty at 6am on July 7 claimed I was out when my Nepali girlfriend called and asked to speak to me on July 6 in the late evening. He also didn't deliver the message she then left for me. Further, he had the nerve to call her (her number must have been displayed on the hotel phone the night before) after I had left for the airport, after asking me whether I was going to marry her or merely seeing her for the sex (his words), to which I gave a non-committal answer as it is none of his business. He then had the balls to ask me for her number, which of course I didn't give him. I thought he was rude and extremely indiscreet, but I would have let it go if I hadn't subsequently found out from my girlfriend about him lying on the phone to her and his non-delivery of her message to me.

Thoroughly unprofessional. Purposely trying to interfere with and even intrude into a relationship in one's private life is one thing, but doing this to a customer while on duty is simply unacceptable in any moral code. He should be fired from his job.

Anyone considering using this otherwise ok hotel be warned, especially about the long-nosed young receptionist with the narrow face ... he's a snake!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
13  Thank tomix-yeah
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Good location, helpfull staff, no frills room, clean enough.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank marcelboer
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Located in the center of Thamel, street and bar noise from 7am to 11pm, but use earplugs and you will be fine. Really helpfull and friendly staff, rooms are simple, clean, hot water. I stayed in the room with a shared bathroom. Payed 600 NRP a night with breakfast. Food and drinks really good and prices fair. Wi-Fi quite reliable - better in the restaurant area. Overall it is excellent place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo