Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Nepal Wilderness Trekking tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Nepal Wilderness Trekking
from $80.00
More Info
All reviews porter guide thorung la pass tamang heritage own pace excellent guide mera peak day trek lal suk pisang jeep trail summit email accommodation trekking tims
Reviewed December 16, 2018

This is my second time in Nepal, so I just booked a trekking package starting from Pokhara. Himal did a very good job. He always replied to my inquiry promptly and customised a trekking route according to my needs. After I and my husband arrived at Kathmandu, we contacted Himal in his office to arrange the TIMS. He helped us to book a flight to Pokhara at a cheaper price. Unfortunately, the flight was cancelled due foggy in Pokhara and we decided to take a tourist bus next day. Himal helped us to book it , found a room for our extra night in Kathmandu and informed our guide and porter who were on the way to Pokhara of our delay. No hassle at all. Our guide Manoj and porter Chandra also did a good job. Both of them were not talkative, but always kept an eye on us if any help needed. On the last trekking day, we took a local jeep in Lumre that was another amazing experience. Wow, a small jeep could carry almost 20 people at a time !

Date of experience: November 2018
nepalWildernessTrek, Owner at Nepal Wilderness Trekking, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2018

Dear Rathy and Chuen Namaste!
thank you so much for your great Reviews about guide Manoj and Nepal wilderness, I am glad to knew that you both have great time in the Mardi Himal Trek with Manoj and Chandra.

Reviewed December 15, 2018 via mobile

I absolutely recommend Nepal Wilderness Trekking. Perfect organisation, when we arrived they had already prepared our trekking visa allowing us to start the trekking the day after. Our guide, Lal, was extremely kind and professional. A very good experience, I recommend it!!

Namaste ILARIA!

thank you so much for your great reviews, about guide Lal gurung and for our Company Nepal Wilderness trekking, hope to see you in the futures again,
Himal Ghale

Reviewed December 14, 2018 via mobile

Lal Gurung was our guide, helping us during the journey through the villages Dhampus and Sarangkot from Pokhara. Though it was not a very difficult hike compared to ABC or EBC etc. Lal was very knowledgable not only guiding us through the trek. But he has also taught us a lot about Nepal culture, tradition, religion, mountains etc. He was very helpful in arraginng the accommodation and all the meals. He always went to the restaurant to help preparing for us. Our porter was very nice as well. Overall, this is a very good experience with the Lal and trekking company.

Date of experience: December 2018
nepalWildernessTrek, Owner at Nepal Wilderness Trekking, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2018

thank you so much Lydia for nice reviews for our guide Lal gurung

Reviewed December 13, 2018 via mobile

The trip is one that you should do once in your lifetime at least. Annapurna Circuit promises an abundance of beautiful nature, scenic mountains and friendship you'll forge along the way. I've learnt more about my spouse through the difficult times we went through together.

Both of us did not train for it, it will be most ideal to do so since it most part of the trip took a toll on our fitness. I would say the younger folks wouldn't have any issues since their body and metabolism can compensate for the lack of training, but for those who are not active, do not overlook it.

We completed it over the thorung la pass nonetheless, while missing one of the detour lake in the trip after Manang. On hindsight, there are more you can enjoy when your fitness is at most ideal stages.

Hired a single guide+porter, the combination gives us privacy when we needed, allows us to plan easily each day of the journey, and flexibility to walk at our own pace. Like what other reviewers mentioned, you need to plan to meet the guide first and review through the plans and align the expectations before the trip. Change the guide if you're not happy. Change the plans if you want to do a easier route. Our guide took us to extreme Upper Pisang, not necessary, but has better views. Took us to better routes even after upper pisang, which tourist usually travels on the lower ground/pisang. Travels on older routes that had better scenic, less trekkers, used mainly by the locals for their day to day work. The guide also provided us morning services, came to our room to pick up our bags, brought menu to us, took care of hot water we needed for bathe, negotiated charges, etc. We showered whenever we can. We are also glad we hired a local guide. Of course we knew some of the charges such as room charges was not supposed to be included in several homes, and the money went to the guide. But it didn't bother us too much.

What is not satisfying is that the guide booked every single place for us without our agreement and forces us to stay in the place when we want to change the accommodation - even before we had time to choose where we want. It was due to his own reputation that he cares more over our opinion. And also the days we want to walk further from Yak Kharka to Lakdak (20mins), and Thorung Pedi to Thorung High Camp (1hr), we were held back since he booked the accommodation over the phone. We are not happy and it tired us out on the day of the pass which was unnecessary if we saved that 1hour before, which could mean we arrive earlier over the pass and get to Muktinath earlier. The final day was when we had the most motivation and energy but slipped because of the guide's personal interest over ours.

The rest of it was splendid 7/10 for the guide's sincerity, compassion and honesty. We paid double $20 x 12 days and added more, plus rounded up to whole numbers, for his tips at the end of journey, also paid for his food and drinks at teahouse along the journey - that are not covered by the accommodation. It's up to you what amount you want to pay for tips, usually it's $5-10 per day for porter, Google around for guidelines. We know he appreciates it, I did not discount him at all even though it caused much distress to my spouse and myself. You're also needed to pay for his transportation from Kathmandu and back. We gave more than enough for that. I've done my part well over I needed to. At the last day in Kathmandu, he came to send us off as well.

Jomson has extremely good accommodation, wifi signal, and 4G, that you'll not have at the mountains, go for the ones next to the airport, furthest end of the route coming from Muktinath.

Bring some toys and gifts for the kids you meet along the way. We spent time hanging around locals who are not involved in tourism.

Himal is a business owner who helps traveller's sort out the necessary things /people together. I would say to continue using his service, as he is able to make your plans work. The guides used by him however, is based on luck. My overall experience is 9/10 overall. I walked into the shop based on internet research, this is just a one man company. This company is what we liked with personalized services over the larger ones. If you need someone to arrange things for you, this is who you can get help from.

I also suggest renting scooters from B. S. MOTOR SHOP, Google it, 5mins away from Himal's shop. Don't rent from the shop opposite him, they are a little dishonest and prices are steep.

I'd recommend you to drop him an email and consider your future treks with him.

Date of experience: November 2018

thank you so much, John, for your reviews, hope we will see again in the futures.
Namaste

Reviewed December 12, 2018 via mobile

Great using Himal. We were early in the season so it was not easy to orginise things. I would highly recommend.

Date of experience: September 2018
nepalWildernessTrek, Owner at Nepal Wilderness Trekking, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2018

thank you, Phill sir for the review, hope we will see again in the futures