“Reliable and hospitable”

Elbrus Home
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
“Reliable and hospitable”
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

As a solo woman traveller in Nepal, staying in Elbrus Home is the top pick of hostel in Kathmandu. The staff is friendly and helpful. And I especially love its garden. The best place to hace a relaxing day and do reading.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Zoe L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

We reached quite late but yet the staff still greet us very friendly. We got the room on the 3rd floor and its kinda rooftop area. We enjoy seating outside in the evening after exploring the city. The room has no AC, only fan but its still nice. Bathroom is clean too. I really enjoy staying here. The staffs are friendly and they gave a lot of inputs and suggestions, which we really appreciate. They have free wifi and free drinking water. The downside, since our room is facing the 'main street', we can heard the busyness of the people and cards and trucks. But it didn't bother us as we were already tired from exploring the city. In the morning, during breakfast, we were seated at the garden area and it was really nice

• Stayed June 2014
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

My friend Alex and I stayed here a couple of nights before a trek and 3 nights after. The hostel is a gorgeous place to stay, with its relaxed gardens giving you some peace and quiet in the busy Thamel streets, and the owner Khem always went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable. Just to give you some examples: we struggled to find it on our first day so he walked into Thamel to find us and guide us there, he arranged a Trek for us with a great company and guide for a decent price, he arranged our bus tickets to Lumbini, he was always offering complimentary tea and coffee (on top of an amazing breakfast), he let us store baggage there during the trek and he made sure it felt like home for us, encouraging us to relax in the lounge and take advantage of the computer, TV, books etc. Fantastic service and would definitely stay there again, thanks!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Khem (the owner) was always around, very helpful/friendly, and attentive. My wife and I stayed there 3 nights prior to our trek and 3 nights after, and we stored 2 large bags there free of charge while we were trekking. We loved that this place had lots of balconies and a nice rooftop view. And we really loved the included breakfast (eggs, toast, jam/honey, porridge, tea or juice), no matter how early we got up (once at 5am or so). The wifi worked well, even during Kathmandu blackouts, since Khem has that on battery backup. Also, the yard is very nice with the landscaping they've done (plants, sculptures, tables, etc.). We'd recommend people to stay here for sure!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Surat Thani, Thailand
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I would say I'm fairly well travelled and have definitely stayed in a broad selection of hostels and hotels over the last few years but never have I been so impressed as to feel the need to actually leave a review. The thoughtful and attentive attitude of everyone at Elbrus Home have broken me of my lazy ways and I can confidently give this hotel 5/5 stars!

I arrived in Kathmandu by myself feeling a little lost as you do when arriving in places like these for the first time but rest assured there was a car from the hotel waiting for me. Upon arriving at Elbrus Home, Khem greeted me with a big smile and personally showed me to my room. Having not held my expectations too high for the quality of the establishment I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice clean and tidy room with above adequate facilities all round.

After a good nights sleep I spent the next day preparing for the EBC trek but unfortunately throughout the day it became apparent that I had contracted some sort of illness in India that was only just rearing its ugly head. I explained to Khem that I was feeling pretty ropey and had my doubts about embarking on the trek in under 12 hours. He told me to get some rest and he would check on me in the morning. Morning came and I was way worse, he could see this and told me to go back to bed and that he would take care of everything. He made sure the tour guides were informed of my absence and made regular checks on me over the next couple of days bringing me noodle soup and words of reassurance. I recovered quickly with his help and enjoyed the next two weeks trekking.

Never have I stayed somewhere with such an open hearted, caring attitude towards its guests.
A truly humbling experience that has in all honesty reassured me with a little faith in humanity.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 18, 2014

The owner is fantastic! We recently fell sick and were in hospital for 5 days and ken dropped in to see us three of those days. He also called to check if we needed anything everyday! Food and facilities are excellent and can arrange pick ups or drop off for you if needed! In four months this has been our Most welcoming place yet.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I would happily stay here again. Khem and his brother are great hosts and provided clean rooms, good breakfast, consistent wifi (in room) and were warm and friendly throughout our stay. Elbrus is about 5 minutes walk from the centre of Thamel (which is great because Thamel is quite a busy and noisy hub), though in saying that, the Nepali people start early - so street noise is everywhere.
Would be happy to return again in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends