“Overpriced, bad location”

Red Planet Guest House
Ranked #265 of 457 Kathmandu B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I really hated my stay here. The only reason I stayed for more than a night was because I had a lot of luggage that I didn't feel like moving. The hotel is close to the action of Thamel, but in a strange location. If you're walking back after 10:30 you'll be accosted by no less than 3 prostitutes. Its also overpriced, if I was paying $5 or $6 I wouldn't complain, but they charge nearly twice that for a very dingy room.
Also, the staff is quite shistey. They'll quote your room in USD, but if you pay in rupees they'll give you a bad conversion rate. On my way out the offered to get me a cab to the airport. Fine, but they tried to get me to give them more money than the cab should cost. Luckily I knew better and told them to get lost. There are many other places to stay at much more affordable rates.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Dino504

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I was very disappointed with the way in which the employees I met conducted themselves and their business.
Looking to stay more than 3 weeks, I would have loved it if this place had even been ok, but it is one of the worst places I've ever been to in the world.
I was given the room at the front, it was very noisy all through the night and the curtains did not close properly..so there was a constant flow of light into the room.
I asked if there would be hot water, when I went to check-in, they assured me that there would be...that it is hot 24/7 and advised me just to run the tap for some minutes. Not having hot water is not a big issue in developing countries but lying to my face about the hot water situation is bad business practice. I spent over 30 minutes (wasting) the water...running it...waiting for it to get hot...after the first 15 minutes I asked if there was definitely hot water...I was again assured that there is always hot water. In the morning I informed the employee at the reception that I couldn't seem to get any hot water...he advised me that there is very rarely hot water at night and never late at night (which is when I arrived) I was annoyed that their lies meant I wasted 30 minutes worth of water, in a water scarce country and world!
When I advised the reception that I did not appreciate being lied to, he just said it happens and tried to tie me down to stay and book more days.
When I also told him that the room was very noisy (and I was wearing ear plugs!), he said that he could move me into a better room. That several of the rooms were available and that I just happened to be in the worst. Given that so many of them cost the same amount...I am disappointed that they knowingly put me in the worst room (this is not good for business reputation). When asked how long I would stay in Kathmandu, I informed them that it would be close to 4 weeks...they insisted that I could stay in a much better room for the same price, that the other people are all staying in "better rooms" ... rooms which for the most part (there are a couple of exceptions)...cost the same amount. So why did they lie to me about the hot water and then give me the worst room when most of their rooms were vacant and then instantly offer to nearly half the asking price...to 600 Rupees...when I paid 1000 Rupee's...which I see now was also more than they actually charge most people for the rooms.
Have recommended friends who are visiting not to go there and advised people on the streets to look around.
I would never willingly stay in a place with people who can lie to your face and then blatantly rip you off.
I'm staying in an amazing place now and recommend that people look around.
As for location...this place is very central and regarding my comments concerning the staff, it only concerns the 2 employees that I met.

Room Tip: I recommend against the first room on the ground floor. Wi-fi is not great and noise is VERY high.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Lou S
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I would say that my stay at RP Guesthouse was overall OK, but not excellent. RP Guesthouse has friendly staff who help you well. There are a couple of nice balconies and the rooms are reasonable if you would just like to stay for a couple of days.

The place is located in a small side street of Thamel and can therefore be quite noisy during the night. My bathroom had moisture stains on the wall and a too small toilet for a tall guy like me. But the shower, the tap and the toilet were all just working well. I slept well on the bed, but it was indeed a bit hard (as described in one of the other reviews) and the place seemed a bit dusty.

In general I would say, that if you do not expect too much luxury but you would like to stay somewhere close to the going-out area in a relatively ok place which is still reasonably priced, RP Guesthouse is a good option.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank thammasat
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This place is a little gem!!! We heard about it searching last minute before we travelled to thamel. The staff were so helpful in all aspects and the accomodation was so cheap and chearful. Have already recommended to fellow travellers and will continue to do. They also sorted out our everest base camp trek for a very reasonable price which was awesome experience.... Thanks to Tika and and all his staff

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank D3ano999
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Cheap, easy going accommodation with friendly staff. Stayed at the Red Planet GH for about a week splitting the days either side of our trip to Everest Base Camp. Its not the Ritz but good for the price and we all found the staff helpful especially when it came to organizing our trip to EBC, which they sorted for a good price (flights, transfers and guide). Tika, who runs the show was also very helpful and professional, so maybe throw him an email to inquire about accommodation or treks.

Room Tip: Rooms are better on second and third floor
1  Thank Andrew P
Reviewed February 10, 2012

we found the red planet guest house to be a very nice and friendly place to stay with the staff and guests both very friendly. we got rooms very cheap $6 a night. they have a split business the other doing trips to the mountains, and we wanted to do everest base camp. we got their price and then one from town and when we brought it back they matched it. the guy tika who organises tours was very helpful and even rang my girlfriend (via our guides mobile) to tell her that her dad had emailed asking if all was well and he wanted to know what to write in response as we'd be away for 12 days.

our guide Lok had a reasonable amount of english couldve been a little better but it didnt really matter most of the time we understood each other. the teahouses we were taken to were all excellent. the food varied here and there but your going to get that up a moutain where food stocks are in short supply.

overall very happy with red planet we stayed there a few days after our trip too and would highly reccommend them to anyone. if you phone or email ahead they'll even pick you up from the airport!

enjoy

Reviewed February 5, 2012

My friend and I had our wonderful holiday in Nepal. At first we thank to Red Planet Guest House who responded our email very well and fast. As the price which they offered we thought that it would be very basic guest house. But once we were there we were really surprised with their services. In Katmandu there was power cup problem when we were there, but this place had back up so that we had lights all the time. The reception guy told us every day when to have a shower because he knew when the power comes back. This little place has roof top sitting area which is good to have a look views around. It also offered free wi-fi in the room, lobby and balcony which we did not expected with its price.
We must thank to the tour desk at the hotel that helped to plan our trekking trips. Mr. Tika Regmi of Adventure Mountain Explore Treks helped us to find out the best destination. We had Tamang Heritage Trail trek which was superb. At the end we realized that why Tika offered us such a new trek. It was very special and we had directly interacted with locals. We had local food and sitting around by the fire place which was a part of oven. It was very much impressive and Thanks million to you Tika for your honest information and arrangement. Guide was great and supported us. If anyone planning for trekking trip in Nepal use red planet Guest house to stay and use Tika and his company for arrangement.

2  Thank Julie D