“The Trip of A Lifetime”

Earthbound Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Earthbound Expeditions is an award-winning adventure travel company offering many trips including a private day hiking tour of Kathmandu Nepal.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking
Reviewed February 19, 2016

This is the company to choose! With plenty of heart and sincerity, Earthbound Expedition is definitely set to impress.
I chose the Annapurna Circuit trek for the lack of time and did the trek in a total of 11 days, with the firstand last day dedicated for rest and sightseeing.

Rajan the owner, was a lovely help. He responded to our emails and enquires with patience and was genuinely interested in assisting us instead of simply sending us a template response which many of the other companies we contacted did.

The itinerary provided was comprehensive and easy to understand and covered our meals and when necessary, sleeping bags and down jackets, which will cost you a substantial amount should you choose to purchase. Being the first time I had ever trekked, taking this expedition on served to be a daunting task ahead for me as I did not know what to expect.

Should you choose to do the Annapurna circuit, be prepared to climb a lot of steps! DO NOT skimp on purchasing the right shoes, and if you are trekking during the cold season - gloves and socks. These will serve you very well. Also, ensure that you have clothes that you can layer so that you need not carry too many bulky items. As we were trekking near the end of winter (February), which is the off peak season, we experienced a whole host of temperatures from 29 degrees celcsius all the way to -15 degrees celsius at Annapurna Base Camp.

I had requested for Maule, upon reading the excellent reviews by our fellow reviewers below. Maule truly impressed. He has plenty of experience under his belt which greatly assured us, given that the trek does come with it's danger and risks with the unpredictable weather and relatively challenging terrain. I had bought gloves that were not effective in staving off the cold during our trek to ABC and the lovely Maule had actually switched gloves with me in order to prevent me from getting frostbite. Our porter Ong Chun was also a lovely help and boy it is a miracle how they can shoulder such weight and leap from one shaky rock to the other! He was a lovely humble and sincere man as well, just like Maule. I will definitely be requesting for them should I consider pursuing the Everest Base Camp in future.

Nepal is a truly a beautiful country. It is a pity that this city of wonderful friendly people has had the series of misfortunes befall them, with the earthquake and political situation. When I arrived and went sightseeing on the first day, it was clear the lack of infrastructure and the recent earthquake had greatly shaken up the country, the economy and the tourism industry.

If you are considering travelling to Nepal and trekking, you should go ahead and do it. The view, people and the experience is truly one you will remember for the rest of your life. Just ensure you do plenty of research, pack well, and go in with an open, flexible and accepting mindset as plans may change due to unforseen circumstances. Discuss the best possible alternative with your guide should you require any changes and DO NOT give the children chocolate as it encourages a bad cycle of entitlement and destroys their self-esteem in the long run.

Do not drink water from the tap, ice drinks or eat salads and fresh fruits. Only eat freshly prepared food to prevent the very prevalent stomach bugs from reaching you and you should be fine and experience the trip of a lifetime!

Cheers and wishing all future trekkers the best of luck!

1  Thank Cheryl C
in 10 reviews
"himalayan mountains"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed February 15, 2016

My friends and I booked the Jomosom Muktinath trek in December 2015 through Earthbound Expeditions. The trek itself was the most wonderful I have done to date. Walking through mountain scenery and seeing village life in the foothills of the Annapurna region was the highlight of the trek. I recommend it to anyone. The trek was capped at both ends with a stay in Kathmandu, a dynamic city. EE provided a fantastic tour of Kathmandu’s sights and history as well. We also spent two nights in Pokhara and undertook a cooking class on daal bhat. Mr. Rajan and Shreeram and the porter crew ensured that the trek went without problems. But as always approach trekking in Nepal with an open mind and accept the daily adventures that come along as that is where all the memories come from.

I am thoroughly impressed with Earthbound Expeditions and will not hesitate to call upon them for my return trips to Nepal! Earthbound Expeditions is a professional company who adheres to safety and ensures its clients get what they came for! Their services are first class!

Reviewed February 12, 2016

In the aftermath of the April 2015 earth quack, I deiced to visit Nepal. Then I thought I might try trekking to the Everest Base Camp. I wanted to use a local trekking company and after doing internet searches, found the Earthbound Expeditions. An exchange of e-mails started in September 2015 with Rajan. He provided detailed information, a list of items to take and also answered my questions promptly.

On reaching Kathmandu on 16 November, I was met by a representative of the company, who took me to a hotel. After meeting Kedar on the following day, I was taken on a sightseeing tour of the city. This was very enjoyable. In the evening, I met my Shyam - my guide for the journey. The day after we flew to Lukla, met my ported Prem and stiff for trekking.

It was sunshine with clear skies most of the days. We were surrounded by mountains and the scenery was breathtakingly beautiful. Walking along the river, crossing suspension bridges to get to the guest houses perched on hills and meeting fellow travellers is an experience that will remain with me for a very long time.

Accommodation used along the route was very good. The guide and the porter were very helpful. The service received from the company exceeded my expectations. I would certainly use them again. I have no hesitation at all in recommending Earthbound Expeditions.

1  Thank Chan S
Reviewed January 29, 2016

This is going to be long - in order to cover some facts as well as give an adequate description of the nature and spirit of the group. I hope it’s helpful.
First, let me clarify some things that might be confusing: When we booked our tour it was through Bohemian Tours located in West Bengal, India, and we originally got our information about them via an excellent website of the same name. For airport pickup, however, we were told to look for a sign that said either Bohemian Tours or Earthbound Expeditions. From that point on Earthbound Expeditions was the name used. Also, the listing says Day Tours, which could be misleading. Earthbound Expeditions offers tours of various lengths, from 1 day to 16 or more. I want to add that generally we’re not "tour" people (or we didn’t think we were.) We love exploring on our own and an organized tour like this wouldn’t usually be something we’d choose. What happened is that I came across it in a Groupon promotion with a price that was tempting, so I investigated further. Their website was so impressive that I convinced my husband and son to give it a try.
Ours was the 8-day Taste of Nepal tour. Our initial communications with Tara, the International Director, were always prompt and clear. The website is extremely well done, providing useful information about flight booking, possible side excursions, vaccinations, money exchange, voltage/electrical requirements, travel insurance, visas, what to bring....and specifics regarding the food, water, weather, accommodations, etc. (with useful links where appropriate.) I highly recommend reading it thoroughly. This same level of care and attention to detail was present in all our dealings with them. Shortly before we were to leave the U.S., Tara sent a letter with additional instructions and offered to answer any last minute questions we had. He provided information about airport pickup and gave us names & numbers for contacts in Nepal in the event we ran into difficulties. One of those individuals, Rajan, was at our hotel to meet us and remained in touch during the tour, though he turned us over to Kumar, who was our guide throughout.
It turned out that our group (with the exception of one day, when we were joined by 2 women from Australia) consisted only of my husband, son, 4 year-old granddaughter & me. It was clear to us that this would not be a lucrative venture for the company, yet no corners were cut. Kumar covered everything on the Itinerary and more. He also was attentive to our particular interests. On the way to Chitwan National Park, as we drove along the river, we saw suspension bridges leading to the bank on the other side. These looked intriguing and when we commented, Kumar asked if we’d like to cross one. When we got to a good stopping place he had the driver drop us off so we all could cross, take photos and explore a bit. Obviously this was an advantage of being a small group. In a larger group it might not have been possible, though I’d venture to say that in any size group Kumar would do his best to be accommodating. He’s extremely knowledgeable and provided an abundance of information about the history and culture at each site we visited. Many times this was more than we could absorb at once and he was infinitely patient with our questions – even when he had to repeat things he'd already told us. He was always helpful and professional, yet over the days we spent with him we also came to view him as our friend. He went above and beyond anything we ever could have expected - even helping to carry our tired little one at times when the rest of us were worn out. In addition to Kumar, Deepak, the driver, was with us throughout the trip. Although he didn’t speak much English, he communicated with a ready smile. He was always prompt, pleasant and helpful, handling precarious traffic and roads with skill and apparent ease.
From our arrival in Kathmandu until we left, our days were filled with an amazing array of activities. It was a perfect mix of scheduled and "free" or individual time to explore (or rest!) as we chose. Seeing the ancient temples, stupas and shrines was fascinating. The beauty and history – there was so much to take in. The streets of Kathmandu were bustling, with rich colors and eye-catching architectural elements everywhere, even on the simplest structures. We loved seeing the medieval city of Bhaktapur, a World Heritage Site. There’s still much to marvel at, despite the fact that particular area suffered a tremendous amount of damage in the April 2015 earthquake. Chitwan Park was almost tropical in spots – serene and beautiful. Among many other things, we were thrilled to see a mother white rhinoceros nestled under a shrub with her calf.
We booked our trip prior to the earthquake. Apparently quite a few people were put off by the quake & rumors of widespread damage and cancelled previously made plans to visit. We did give it consideration, primarily because of safety concerns but after some research we determined it was safe to proceed. Moreover, we understood that one of the things crucial to the country's recovery is the return of tourist dollars. As far as earthquake-related damage, we definitely saw some, as well as many repairs and restoration - both completed and underway. During our time there, however, we were much more aware of the economic and social impact of the new constitution Nepal ratified in September. A significant effect of this - and there are various takes on exactly why - is that the borders between Nepal and its neighbor, India, have been blocked. Nepal is dependent on India for the majority of its trade and this has caused a restriction on the transport of goods including petroleum, cooking fuel, medicines, and many other supplies and daily necessities. Almost every aspect of life in the country has been affected - many restaurants were forced to shut down or convert to restricted menus because of food & fuel shortages. Petro lines snake through the streets, with people waiting 2 to 3 days to put gas in their cars and work vehicles.
These factors didn’t have a huge impact on our trip, though there was the difficulty of riding in a comfortable, spacious van, looking out at others stuffed into busses and even riding on bus roofs in order to make best use of precious petroleum. The restricted menus were a bit of a disappointment but paled with the recognition of how difficult it was for the restaurant owners simply to remain open.
As foodies, we’d looked forward to some exotic meals and especially the Indian spices. The meals that were included with the tour were always ample, good and hearty. They were not highly spiced and we learned that’s probably typical of Nepalese food. Our free-time meal experiences were somewhat hit-and-miss. Because of the shortages, places that had previously received high recommendations might not be open or – if open – might only be offering salads (and not always too exciting.) We did come across one sure bet for both food and atmosphere and that was the New Orleans Café in Thamel, Kathmandu. Unlike it sounds, this restaurant has a large menu and offers an amazing variety of food - everything from hummus to Tandoori chicken to Thai curries - and everything we tried was good. In addition, it had a charming ambience. Once we discovered It, we ate there 2 or 3 times. Another excellent place we didn’t find until one of our last days in the city was the Roadhouse Café, also in Kathmandu. They had wood-fired pizza, so were unaffected by the lack of fuel and the pizza was outstanding!
Amendments to the constitution apparently are being considered even as I'm writing this and it's hoped that the situation will be resolved in the near future. For us, we were glad we didn't cancel. Both Kumar and the tour group as a whole let us know they were glad too. They did everything possible to make our trip memorable. They showed great willingness to be flexible, helping us negotiate an unexpected schedule glitch (on our part) and also arranging airport transportation for us at the end of some additional personal days we spent in the country.
In summary, Earthbound Expeditions/Bohemian Tours is a first rate organization. We thank them for their kindness and proficiency and for helping to make our visit to Nepal such a great success. We’re considering a trip to India at some point in the future and will most definitely seek them out again.