“Single Traveller Disappointed”

Earthbound Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Earthbound Expeditions is an award-winning adventure travel company offering many trips including a private day hiking tour of Kathmandu Nepal.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I went with earthbound because of all its great reviews but was slightly disappointed with what I got. It is possible it was because I was travelling alone and slightly neglected even though I was charged a premium for the single supplement. Also spent alot of time waiting for other people. They were very quick with responding emails which was great but I think at some point he got me mixed up with someone else and I had to reconfirm my itinerary last minute.

Let me just put out there I've roughed it plenty so I'm not too picky on where I sleep. I could tell I got a substandard room in Thamel on the first night because I could compare it to my last night when I got a much better room. On the first night the bathroom was separated from the toilet in the next via a wooden plank so I could hear everything going on (yes. all kinds of business).

The guides I was provided with were EXCELLENT. I have no complaints there, at one point my mountain biking guide might have even saved my life from a head on truck. We did a short pleasant hike to Nargakot, accommodation there was pretty good the sunrise could be seen on the roof and even my room. The next day was "downhill" biking to Dhulikhel. It was NOT as advertised- easy downhill through a national park. The majority of it was on highways which I was not comfortable with at all, it was very dusty and people had a general lack of concern for cyclists. I felt like I spent those two days mostly trying to stay alive and avoid everything else and it was not enjoyable coming back into kathmandu city on a push bike. I wish this point was made more clear for people taking the option to mountain bike.

Accommodation in Dhulikhel yet again was disappointing simply because I could compare it to all the other better available spots across the street for a lot less than what I paid for (guides/fees accounted). My room had a huge hole in the wall which was apparently used for trash disposal. No back up gen power out all night-thus no warm shower. Sleeping in my clothes covered in dirt from mountain biking was a better option to getting under the grubby looking sheets (covered in someone else's hair). If I was up in the mountains where accommodation was limited I would have no complaints but in a big city like Dhulikhel I feel like the company skimped out.

11  Thank Zoe N
There are newer reviews for Earthbound Expeditions

Reviewed October 31, 2013

It's been a lifelong dream of mine to see Mt Everest but had written it off due to the fact that I am NOT a mountain climber. About 7 years ago I learned that one could actually hike to the Everest Base Camp, and in June of this year I finally booked the EBC trek with Earthbound Expeditions. Originally I chose them because this particular tour was being offered at a discount with Travelzoo, but the real reason I booked with them was the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. Organization leading up to the trip was via email with Tarek, who answered all of my questions promptly. Just don't expect to get too much more than brief answers out of him - I got the impression he was very busy and also found out later he is based in India, not Nepal.
In short:
*Unlike some other members of our group (12 of us in total) I had no issues with my airport pick up or hotel drop off. This went quite smoothly for me in spite of the fact that I didn't exit the airport until almost 1.5 hours after we landed
*Accommodations were just fine thru out the tour. I paid for the single supplement (a slight rip off when you realize that rooms are only about $2 on the trekking portion) and it was worth it for me to have my own room everywhere we went.
*Our guide, Prem Tamang, was wonderful. I was sad to say goodbye to him and wouldn't hesitate to hire and/or request him as my guide on my next trip to the mountains. He was friendly and polite but also took his job of keeping us alive and well very seriously. Plus he gave these awesome group speeches every night, and quite often he had everyone in the teahouse listening along with us lol We appreciated the information he gave, and the timing in which he gave it. (not too far ahead as altitude kind of makes you a bit stupid and he knew we wouldn't remember anything if he told us too early!) His assistant (Dambar)and our porters were also a great group of guys

Unfortunately the beautiful weather we had for the first week of the hike suddenly turned on us at Dingboche, and we were unable to continue on to EBC. This was EXTREMELY disappointing to all of us, but it was fairly obvious that we would not be able to safely or logically continue due to the snow. Such a bummer.

My only suggestion would be for Mr. Rajan to offer more guidelines in terms of appropriate and fair tipping for the guides and porters. His offhand "base amount" suggestion at our original group meeting was taken very literally by some members of our group, while some of us felt the amount suggested was unfairly low. This caused quite a bit of discussion and tension amongst some of us and was the only sour point of the trip for me. (other than having to turn around of course!)

Can't say enough positive things about this experience....it was so much more than I imagined and I can't wait to go back for Round 2!

1  Thank Naida4444
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just returned from trek around Manaslu with Earthbound Expeditions. The owner Mr. Rajan Simkhada and his staff did an excellent job of taking care of us. Nepal was amazing and their efforts were a big reason for our success. Will travel with them again.
J Wayne Green

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The group was wonderful ( I think we had the best group). Our guides and "carriers" were excellent , or better than excellent, if that is possible!. Bharat Gajurel, one of the guides was amazing, and compassionate. I am a 66 year old that did this trip with my sister. Bharat was so supportive and when I told him how much of a difference he made, he said sweetly, no problem, "it's my job". I hire staff and I often hear "it's NOT my job" I would hire anyone like him. Anyione like him is also Shree "C" . Another amazing, kind and extremely competent individual. The whole trip was well organized and "complete", not an easy task with so many with different capablities, interests and ages. I can't say enough about the whole thing. Excellent, amazing wonderful, professional, safe and on and on and on
It wasn't just Bharat and Shree"C", it was all the guides and the amazing men that carrier our stuff. Never a complaint, always positive, Again I wish I had all their names. Please tell them "thank you"

4  Thank patk5
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Earthbound expeditions is truly unbelievable! We hiked with them in March 2012 on the Annapurna circuit! Nama, our guide, and Podum our porter were awesome! They were very friendly and extremely helpful when it counted. Altitude sickness is a real worry and Nama was fantastic about knowing what to do. For example, sticking to ginger tea before you move on to taking any kinds of medicine. Both of them had all kinds of good tricks to make our lives eascer on the trail. Those solo travelers dont know what they are missing. Nama even spotted some rare monkeys once that all the solo hikers missed. They also knew the best places to stay in each town.

In Kathmandu, the office operations were also great. I feel bad for not writing earlier as this was seriously the best trip of my life. My wife and I have been to over 30 countries each and this vacation still holds the top spot in my book.

1  Thank mrbanj0