“Appaling Attitude”

Cafe Mitra & Lounge Bar
Ranked #3 of 12 Dessert in Kathmandu
Cuisines: French, Asian, Contemporary, Fusion, Nepali
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Cafe Mitra - popular with locals, expatriates and tourists - specializes in modern Nepali and Chinese food along with European dishes. We have a full bar with cocktails, wines, fine liquor and beverages. We also have 4 rooms tucked away in a quiet landscaped garden in the middle of the vibrant madness of Thamel. They are clean, quiet and comfortable with en suite bathroom and plenty of hot & cold water. At the moment we are working at adding 4 more rooms, hopefully by April 2015. At first glance, Thamel appears to be overwhelmingly chaotic. It is, no doubt. However, the fact is this compact heart of Kathmandu has all the amenities to ensure that visitors are never far from services they require, such as travel and trekking agencies; supermarkets, just in case you forgot to bring your toothbrush; pharmacies for your anti-allergy pills; and international or locally-made outdoor wear! It is easy to get your money out safely from several ATMs; hunt for souvenirs; and send them home via air cargo. Thamel is also conveniently located, allowing easy access - even on foot - to important historical, cultural and religious highlights that Kathmandu has to offer such as Kathmandu Durbar Square where the Royal Kumari, the Living Goddess, resides; Monkey Temple aka Swoyambhunath; Garden of Dreams; Royal Palace Museum, etc. All these places are walks of 10 to 30 minutes from us. And if you want to take it easy - after all you are on a holiday! - Taxis and rickshaws are plentiful. Just get your bargaining chops fine-tuned to perfection! So, buy your ticket, hop into an aeroplane, or a bus, and allow us to introduce you to Nepal and its unique hospitality and charms! It is our sincere hope you will enjoy having a meal with us AND also staying with us. Kunal Lama - Owner
Llandeilo, United Kingdom
“Appaling Attitude”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I've been to Kathmandu may times and eaten at Cafe Mitra before when it was in the old building adjacent to the road in Thamel. It has mow shrunk and retreated into the back garden. The food was always good, but pricey by Kathmandu standards but was worth it for special occasions. My wife and I visited in person to make a reservation 3 days before our last night in Kathmandu.

When we arrived at the appointed time a few hours before our flight home we were told that the restaurant had been reserved by a large group and there was no space for us. It seemed quite clear that the booking from a bigger group took precedence over us. Complaining bitterly I asked to speak to the owner who they said was not there and when I said 'phone him' they said he was not contactable (this is a country where everyone from the humblest trekking guide has a mobile phone to keep in touch).

So I really would suggest that you avoid this place. There are plenty of other restaurants in Kathmandu in this (expensive ex pat/NGO) category and find somewhere that will provide a decent service and not 'bump you' when they get a better offer.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank henchard

• Indonesian first
Kathmandu
“Overpriced and not friendly”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I wandered in for a coffee and got 'that look' when I said i had already eaten...like 'oh, only coffee?'
It took ages and then was a pretty bog-standard cuppa at a huge price.
The place looks nice but should encourage more traditional Nepali hospitality to those who don't work for the UN.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank nepalwatcher
Katmandu, null, Nepal
“Worth 2 rickshaws”
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Virtually every rickshaw driver in Thamel will tell you they know where a place is and only half actually do. But I was glad to pay both just because one actually got me there. I was actually trying to meet a couple of women from Chile who told me they were going to a place called "Mito". It does not exist but Mitra looked close and I went. This little gem is all about great wine, perfectly prepared food and lovely ambiance. One day it will make the top 3 in Thamel once people discover it and learn where to look.

The girls were not there so I was alone down a this back alley with a chef from NYC and a very hip owner who knows how to create ambiance. I settled on a wonderful green pea soup and Himalayan trout with red beet reduction and a house white wine that was a wonderful steely Chardonnay from Australia so I drowned my sorrow in 2 glasses. I was the only one in the place. Amazing since it was the best meal I have had in Khatmandu.

Make sure you look it up and enjoy a piece a serenity in the city of bargain shopping.

• Visited November 2011
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Best (non-traditional) meal I've had in Kathmandu”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

If we hadn't been with a guide, we would have had a hard time finding Cafe Mitra. It's in the very heart of Thamel but tucked away in a beautiful courtyard accessed by a small alley. It is worth finding though! Here is what I had:
- Appetizer: red pepper cheesecake (very original and delicious, not too rich)
- Entree: walnut, caramelized onion and goat cheese torte with arugula on the side (simple but very good)
- Dessert: chocolate goodness with a curry caramel sauce that I am still dreaming about.

The price was fair - it is expensive for Kathmandu but not expensive by Western standards. Maybe $10-$20 for the whole meal if you include drinks.

• Visited October 2011
San Francisco, California
“Delicious, serene hide-away”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Cafe Mitra was recommended by our tour guide, and it proved to be a great suggestion. Located down a little alleyway, it provided a nice respite from the noisy cars and bustling people on the main thoroughfare. The entranceway had recently been remodeled, and was a modern, clean-line concrete and pebbles garden. The staff was friendly and attentive. The owner even gave me a little tour of the stupa that sat in the garden next door, while also providing some history of the area. The food was delicious; apparently the chef had trained in Switzerland.

We managed to go back for another dinner, this time with some other American tourists. They too seemed impressed that this was such a quiet place, hidden from the main street, and were planning on returning for another visit.

• Visited October 2011