“Interesting visit”

Dwight D. Eisenhower Library and Museum
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Abilene
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Didn't know a lot about his presidency so I really enjoyed visiting his museum. There is a lot to see here including his boyhood home, chapel (gravesite), museum, library, monuments, and the visitor's center. Loved the fact that it is in a small town and was not crowded at all. Learned a lot about Mamie Eisenhower as well.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"final resting place"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We are big fans of Presidential Libraries and plan to visit them all. This one was beautiful, but a little disappointing. The grounds are incredible and everything is laid out in a wonderful manner. His boyhood home is on the grounds, in its original spot, it's very cool that they built everything around it.

The house is very nice to see and everything in it is original, since the foundation bought the house when Eisenhower's mother died.

Ike & Mamie are buried on the property, in a Mediation Chapel. Unfortunately it was being renovated, so we couldn't enter the building.

The visitor center has seen better days. The Theater, where you view the Ike movie, is just a big conference room with banquet chairs, set up in a theater format. The film is very dated, like a 1950's high school social studies movie. I realize this is the time period where most of the footage came from, but a good post production company could really do a lot to make it more engaging, especially for the children. Two of mine fell asleep.

The library and the museum are housed in two buildings. We did not go to the Library, ran out of time, but I understand there are displays in there, as well.

The museum was very dated, sadly. I've been to Kennedy's, who was president right after Eisenhower, and his is light years ahead in manners of displays, artifacts and technology. For that matter, so is the Truman Library (president BEFORE Eisenhower!). Most of the information displays (as opposed to Mamie's dresses and the china, etc.) were little more than glorified poster board.

There is a huge emphasis on World War II, which is understandable, but it overshadows the sections on his presidency. Still, we learned a lot. I just think they need to update it a bit to engage younger people. Perhaps add some interactive sections. My kids (6-13) were bored to death. I wasn't, though.

I still think it's something that has to be seen!

1  Thank RoadWarrior0219
Reviewed July 15, 2013

What a wonderful museum, library, burial chapel, tour of boyhood home, and statue. Very interesting, could have spent alot more time there, but only had a little over 2 hours before it closed for the day. Well worth the price of admission ($9.00). So much history to review and learn from. Very well kept and the docents that give the home tour were great!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time at the Eisenhower museum! There was so much information, and the displays were amazing. It was reasonably priced and a beautiful location. My husband is a huge WWII history buff, and this was his cup of tea. It would have taken more than one day to read all of the information, so we didn't get everything read. However, we definitely learned a lot.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 12, 2013

At Abilene, Kansas, one can visit the Eisenhower Museum and the home which belonged to Dwight Eisenhower's parents and in which he lived for part of his boyhood and at some other times. The boyhood home is about 1,300 square feet including the upstairs which you do NOT visit. The tours are given every 15 minutes and the tour lasts 15 minutes or less. The house is so small that there is an 8 person limit per tour. I was in a 5 person tour. My impression was that the tour guide has given the tour so many times that he is a speaking machine. No personality added into the narration. If you walk 40 feet in the house I'd be surprised it was that far.

In my view too much of the museum was focused on events in which IKE was involved rather than on Dwight Eisenhower, the person. I think he should have been the primary focus and felt that somehow that message failed a bit. Having been to a number of other presidential and military museums, this one was okay but not great. I recommend visiting it but wish it was a better focused museum. I felt the the museum failed to put the man himself center stage even though he was the General who was the Supreme Allied Commander in the liberation of Europe and the President of the United States who ended the fighting in the Korean War. I have visited the Gettysburg site and was duly impressed. All this said, don't miss visiting the Museum in Abilene as IKE deserves it and you will learn much you may not know.