“Delightful Museum Full of History”

Heritage Center of Dickinson County
Ranked #4 of 8 things to do in Abilene
boston
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Delightful Museum Full of History”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Near the Eisenhower museum, I strayed upon this gem when I was in Abilene for the Eisenhower museum. However I ran out of time and arrived at the museum 40 minutes before closing time on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Instead of a cold shoulder, I received a warm welcome. After paying a nominal entrance fee and an even smaller fee for a ride on the "Palace Steam Riding Gallery" ($2 I believe) I walked through the exhibits in the main building. Not wanting to hold up the volunteers, I went through quickly and then made my way to the carousal. I enjoyed a pleasant ride after receiving good history of this amusement ride. Finally I visited one of the historical building that have been moved from other locations in Dickinson county - a small two room cabin. My regret is that I arrived so late in the day I did not have time to view the many other buildings. During this entire time the staff was pleasant and at no time rushed me through the sights. If I am ever back to Abilene, I am sure I will visit again.

Visited April 2012