“OK place to eat but not wonderful”
Review of Mr K's Farmhouse

Mr K's Farmhouse
Ranked #6 of 35 Restaurants in Abilene
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a Historic Farmhouse that was built in 1888. Has served as a restaurant from the 1930's to the 1970's and again from the 1990's to currently. Various celebrities from President Dwight D and Mamie Eisenhower, Actor Jimmy Stewart, Big band eras musicians and Press Secretary Marlin Fitzwater.
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stopped in at Mr K's today for the first time in a long while. The dining area is really nice but had kind of a musty smell to it. Very clean though. We ordered the signature burger and it was very good. The coconut cream pie was also OK but far from the best I have eaten. Server was professional but not real friendly. We will go back again but it may be another several year wait. Overall....good food but not great food. The Ike room was fun to look at and see the photos of the local president as well as the paddle they used to spank him on his birthday! If it is your birthday you get your meal half price but get "paddled" in the deal!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We didn't realize they close at 2 PM and so we arrived about 15 minutes until 2, but to our surprise the staff was very friendly and happy to invite us in and take our order. Our group ordered fresh brewed iced tea and hamburger plates. The burgers were thick and yummy. The price included a huge serving of fresh tasting french fries. We also had a "Black Cow" (Root beer float) and an order of onion rings. Very good! Even though it was "closin' time" by the time we were served nobody rushed us, and they even asked if we wanted dessert. The house is full of photos and memorabilia. It is fun to walk around looking at everything.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I think what I enjoyed about this restaurant most was the atmosphere (old farmhouse) and friendly staff. The food, while not bad, wasn't outstanding either. We ate her for lunch on Tuesday (they are closed on Monday) and choose two things off their lunch menu. Very reasonably priced but the quality matched the price IMO.

I had the chicken fried steak lunch with mashed pototatoes and white gravy. My wife had the beef lunch with vegtable (corn), mached potatoes and brown gravy. I also ordered a cup of chicken noodle soup, my wife had a dinner salad and I ordered a piece of pecan pie for desert.

While not huge, I thought the chicken fried steak had good flavor. If I returned for lunch this is what I'd order again. Nothing else appealed to me. The mashed potatoes were home made and we both thought they were very good. The chicken noodle soup I had tasted suspicously like the seasonings from the packaged lipton chicken noodle soup where you add hot water and it has those tiny noodles. It was jazzed up with larger noodles, some finely chopped up (I mean really finely chopped) vegatalbles and a smattering of tiny chicken pieces. I wouldn't order the chicken noodle soup again unless I had an overwhelming desire for the Lipton Chicken Noodle instant soup. The pecan pie was straight out of the refirgerator and cold as an ice cube and was served on an ice cold plate straight from the refirgerator. It had good flavor but, I never like my pecan pie cold. I prefer it at least at room temperature or slightly heated/warm.

My wife did not care much for the gravy on the beef dinner. The beef was shredded and tender but, I had to agree that the brown gravy tasted as if it came out of a jar or can. I can't quite place it but I've had that taste before. Her dinner salad was standard fare for a salad, adaquate.

Supposedly the rolls served with our meals were "homemade." Maybe, but my opinion was the only thing homemade about those rolls was the packaging said homemade on the wrapper. The were dry and tasteless. The were served with Land O Lakes butter with a touch of honey.

This would be a nice place to take someone who's never been to a farm house. The prices are very reasonable for lunch ($8 to $10 per meal). The cup of soup, dinner salad and desert were add on's that were extra. I did think the service was very good and I enjoyed the atmosphere. It just wasn't the home cookin' I've known and sort of was hopeful I'd find here.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We loved it! Even though I am fairly well traveled and certainly like to eat, I had never had chicken fried steak. I ordered that with mashed potatoes & gravy. Yum! We don't get that kind of food back east. This restaurant is fun. We were there at lunchtime and the clientele was mostly casually but very nicely dressed ladies. The waitresses were really sweet. Not crazy about their pie crust, mine is better. But for regional charm, this restaurant is wonderful.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We usually go here for family dinners. The Sunday menu is usually more straightforward but we most recently visited on a Thursday night and there were a lot of menu options, including some very yummy-sounding Mexican specials. I never have room for pie, but it always looks very tempting. Neat old farmhouse and family-style dining.