“Don't go there”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lusaka
Ottawa, Canada
“Don't go there”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

It's not an enchanting oasis, as one review suggests. The room was clean, and there is a small pool. However, when I arrived the TV was not working, and it took a while to get it going. The bathroom is clean, but old fashioned. Service was practically non-existent: the receptionist kept disappearing; and the restaurant was serving pretty basic and not very good food. It's not worth the price you're asked to pay. You can do much better in Lusaka.

The worst thing though was payment: I tried to pay with a VISA card (and I had been assured before-hand that I could). The card was refused twice. I didn't have much cash and an ATM was not readily available, but I managed to scrape together enough. A week later I found that the bank had allowed the credit transaction to go through (so I paid twice). I spent a good deal of time on the phone trying to get the Lodge to credit my card account for the additional amount. Though the people at the Lodge have been friendly about this, they can't get it done, which is just about what service at the Lodge is like. So again, I strongly advise against this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My main incentive for locating this lodge was my burning desire to quench my overbearing internet access withdrawal symptoms...it has WI-FI...HOORAY!!!:-) Obviously for a nominal fee if you are not a guest at the lodge.

Nestled along a residential street in one of Lusaka's main suburbs-Olympia, its unassuming and somewhat understated exterior does little justice to the wonder that llies behind its walls. Walking in you are greeted with a refreshing view of a beautiful well maintained swimming pool, which instantly had me making a mental note to bring along my bikini next time I visited.

The bar area (forming part of a courtyeard style outdoor dining area) is charmingly decorated with African style thatched roof and furniture, with hand made straw sun pool deck loungers inviting you to lay down with a cocktail...enticing image!

Having happily purchased my wi-fi access from the charming and exceptionally courteous Receptionist, I happily settled myself on a deck chair, ipad in one hand and a yummy cold glass of "Savannah" cider in another...bliss!. The bar staff are so friendly and their profesionalism is next to none...look out for the charming "Bwalya"...she is a true credit to the lodge.

Chita lodge easily became my regular hang out for the majority of my 2 week stay in Lusaka. I enjoyed swimming, snacking and drinking there. Sadly, the shower and sink in the ladies needs updating...pity (no doubt this has been rectified).

Unfortunately, I didnt have the pleasure of staying at the lodge (its on my radar for my next visit). I also noticed that corporate functions were a regular occurance during office hours and that the bar was a populare hang out for local professionals in the evenings. One of my friends that was with me even toured the lodge with a view to considering the place for her wedding reception.

In summation, if you are looking for a centrally located decent place to stay ( that isnt going to cost an arm and a leg) or just have a chilled drink by the pool whilst surfing the internet like i did,...this I strongly urge you to try this quaint oasis.

Enjoy..:-)

Room Tip: Wish I could, but as I didnt stay at the lodge, I am not qualified to make a recommendation
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Abby_Kombo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed at Chita Lodge for 6 days in total , and was an excellent base for seeing Lusaka. close to the new , plush Manda Hill shopping centre.The rooms were nice, clean and kept well. Toliets were fairly basic but good by african standard. Service was always given with a smile. Nice small pool... and bar had great reasonably priced snacks. Only complaint would be the the steaks were not the best in the restaraunt...but then if thats all you can find to complain about , your laughing. Actually looks much better is real life than the photographs on here. they appear to have bought some new furniture which makes the place look so much better.... Would highly recommend ( although part of me wants to keep it quiet.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jamesscot63
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Reviewed December 11, 2011

An excellent find in the centre of Lusaka, behind Manda Hill Shopping Centre. Big rooms, nicely appointed. You'll need to add a power bar, not enough plugs, and few soap amenities - but that is what shopping centre proximity is for! Restaurant offers good food at reasonable prices. Bar is a favourite with locals, great support for Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool (fewer Manchester supporters), lively debates, good prices, cold beer. What ,ore coud you ask for? All at < half the price of Intercontinental, Taj or Southern Sun.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank igbg
london
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed for two separate nights either side of our trip to Mufwe. First night we had a room for three which we thought was just poor because it was underused as a friend had stayed before and found their double very nice. The first room had broken kettle (not a big deal), then we discovered no hot water, toilet did not flush, air-con unit was broken and wall light was falling off. We asked for this to be sorted so they sent a maid who brought a new kettle, could not fix the hot water and patched up the toilet so it flushed once then broke again. Second night was just a joke (double room this time). Walked in nice looking room flat screen TV etc. Then again no water, we were told it would heat up in 20 mins (after asking twice) it did not. We went out for dinner came back checked again not working and not working in the morning. The attitude of the staff was awful the girl on reception (who seems to think alot of herself) was just so uninterested and just fobbed us off after we reported each time it was not working. We also then witnessed another guest book a room for more than half the price we had paid to confound the feeling that we had been ripped off. I also need to mention the sink was coming off the wall, the mosquito net was ripped, there were damp patches on the wall and when I moved the bed side table the wall socket fell out the wall. This place was probably good a couple of years ago but is tired and needs new staff and a refurb. I will finish on a high they looked after a suitcase in between our two stays at no cost but this and the flat screen TV do not make up for a below par service/room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Lusaka hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This is the second time we have stayed at Chita Lodge and the rooms are very comfortable. Although the breakfast is a little to be desired, the pool and bar area are lovely. The staff are very helpful and it has a great location, in a quiet area but within walking distance to the big shopping mall (Manda Hill).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Vik_1311
Portland, Maine
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Wow, Lusaka is an expensive place! This place was recommended to us and a welcome change in price (although still not cheap) from the Intercontinental which was very nice but really too expensive. This place had a lovely large room, well decorated, a nice pool, and a nice outdoor bar/restaurant. The plumbing wasn't quite right in the room but I can' t fault them for that because I never complained about it!! Dinner was very nice and we enjoyed meeting some other travelers (also at breakfast). I see from other reviews that people found it noisy but this was NOT our experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family