“Just ok”

Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Lusaka
Bergen, Norway
“Just ok”
Reviewed October 19, 2009

After reading other reviews of this hotel, we arrived with a litte sceptical attitude. And the first impression is average.

Our reservation was ok, and we recieved a suite instead of a normal sized room. That was good service from the helpful staff. The price was 160 US Dollar each night.

But overall the hotel has to many drawbacks. The water pressure in the shower is very bad, and after staying at several other hotels in Zambia and elsewhere in Africa, I know that this is a Chrismar-problem, not a Africa-problem.

The aircondition is very noisy and the breakfast is just average to be a buffet.

Plus for very good, but expensive, food at Cattlemans grill. And the staff are friendly and helpful.

My recommandation is to spend half the price and stay on some of the lodges or guesthouses in Lusaka, or spend the double to stay at the top hotels in Lusaka. The Chrismar hotel is just ok.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
nyc
Reviewed April 30, 2009

I was scheduled to stay at the Chrismar for two weeks, but after one week decided I could not take it any more and moved to the Protea Lusaka. The price difference is relatively insignificant (approximately $35 extra/night). I travel frequently throughout Africa and do not consider myself to be a high-maintenance traveler. However, I had several issues with the Chrismar:

- Bugs -- there are no mosquito nets in the rooms, despite the fact that much of the hotel space is outdoors (meaning that it's easy for bugs to come in). I slept extremely poorly every night I was in this hotel because of the mosquito problem, and would awaken every morning covered head to toe in bites. On my last morning, I woke up to a grotesquely swollen lip due to a bug bite while I slept. I then had to go to a meeting. Not an ideal situation.

- Internet -- there is no internet available in the rooms and pretty poor internet in the lobby. The connection is too poor to support Skype calls. On several occations the internet went down and the reception staff was unable to help because it was after 5pm and the IT person had left for the day.

- DSTV -- Chrismar is lying when they say they have DSTV. They have 3 local channels, 1 religious/preaching channel, and 3 sports channels. Nothing else. There is a movie channel that I could see but not hear the audio. Despite complaining about this for 3 days in a row, the situation was never resolved.

- Staff -- as other reviews have mentioned, some staff were lovely while others were extremely unpleasant. General attentiveness was not high either - on several mornings I requested an iron to press my clothes. In all cases, I had to call back several times to follow up and it took nearly 45 minutes for the iron to arrive.

In general -- you can find much higher caliber hotels in Lusaka for just marginally more in price. The Chrismar could be ok for a couple of nights, but definitely not ideal for anything longer, and a terrible choice for business travelers.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Lusaka hotels

london England
Reviewed October 31, 2008

My husband and I are frequent travellers to Zambia because we own some shares in a couple of companies.
We stayed at chrismar hotel for one night and after that decided " ENOUGH".
1) The staff are extremely unfriendly upon check in but very friendly at check out infact overzeolous because of the $30 tip my husband left.
It is very clear that they are underpaid and unhappy. We gave our email address to one friendly waiter and our emails got flooded with special requests for visas, money, clothes etc. Apparently he had given it out to the others working there. It was really hard to deal with that everyday.

2) there was absolutely no hot water in the bathroom. it was very frustrating even though it was just for one day.

3) loud noise - there was too much noise from the reception area and beer drinking even a fight at some point and this was all before 8PM. We tried to notify management but it appeared to us that this was not the first time members of staff where fighting on front of customers.

KEEP AWAY FROM THIS MOTEL. THEIR HOTEL ADS ARE NOTHING BUT DECEIVING.

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank ally2008
New York, NY
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Instead of staying at the nearby Intercontinental for a 10-day business trip, I decided to give the Chrismar Lusaka the benefit of the doubt. I could not have been more wrong.

I consider myself a well-traveled and versatile person. I've stayed in 5-star hotels and 1-star hostels. While this hotel can be tolerable - especially with the sometimes friendly staff - there were many problems that question its 4-star rating. Itemized below are just some of the issues.

1) The property seemed not to cater to international travelers. There were no facilities to exchange foreign currency, and asking for smaller Kwacha notes appeared to be a crime. Also, I had to wait in the lobby for about 20 minutes only to be told that there are no electric adapters available. It seemed like they had an answer for me 19 minutes beforehand but just forgot about me.

2) Do not ask (and pay) for wireless internet in your room. Although the IT technician was willing to help, this "service" is not worth the frustration of inconsistent and often interrupted connectivity. Free wireless is available in the lobby. It's slow, but free and more reliable.

3) The staff at the reception desk can be either hot or cold. Some were truly nice and helpful (as much as they can be). Others were right out of a movie. Payment for your stay is demanded upon check-in, leaving no choice but to endure the overpriced facilities and mediocre food.

I can only speak to the above. Others in my delegation, however, were stuck with broken phone lines and showers from which water slithered down the wall - because of lack of water pressure. The facilities probably were once well-appointed, but the place needs a serious management change and facelift.

I've traveled to Zambia before and never had problems. My stay at the Chrismar Hotel will, unfortunately, be ingrained in my memory as part of my last visit. Do not be fooled by the hotel's online ads.

• Liked — Leaving the place
  • Disliked — How oblivious the employees seemed about conditions
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelCritic1789
Johannesburg
Reviewed April 10, 2008

The Chrismar Hotel is not a very bad hotel by Zambian standards, but I would certainly rate it below average for these reasons:
1)Cleanliness of reception are: cleanliness of carpet leaves much to be desired
2)Internet: On my first night I bought 24 hour internet access. I was able to do some work on that evening and the following morning. On the second day, I wanted to buy a further 24 hours access. I went to reception at 16h30 and was told that they would send the IT Manager to my room to give me the password and connect me. When he was still not there 1 hour later, I called reception to enquire and was told he would be coming soon. I eventually went down to reception again at 18h00 and was told that he had already gone home. To cut a long story short, we finally agreed that he would assist me the following morning when he comes in at 07h00. 2 hours later, he was still not there. I wrote this review at 10h10 just before checking out (for the last time at this hotel) and I was still not connected to the internet.
3)Room Service: on my first night I ordered room service and left my plate in my room the following morning. When I came back to the room in the afternoon, my plate and those of 2 other rooms were lying in the corridor. When I went to bed at 20h30, the plates had still not been removed. I notice this morning that someone removed them….but left a few chicken bones on the floor.
4)Airconditioning: The aircon in my room turns on, but does not emit any cold air. In the 2 nights here, I turn it down to 18 degrees and leave it on through the night but still sweat at night.

For these reasons I have looked around and found some very nice Guest Lodges costing much less than the Chrismar Hotel. I will be staying in them the next time I’m in Lusaka.

• Disliked — general poor service (internet, room service, cleanliness)
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised by the accomodations at the Chrismar. The hotel was clean and felt secure. The rooms were spacious and had modern amenities. My only complaint would be that the water presure was very low and flushing and showering took some getting used to. The jacuzzi tub in the room was a nice amenity but as mentioned earlier, the water pressure issue may not have made it worth while. Would not mind staying over again.

Stayed February 2008
Leeds
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Most of our stay at the Chrismar was great - very good value and the rooms off the covered courtyard at the back of the hotel are gorgeous. However, even though we were at the furthest point from the bar, and having asked about noise levels before we booked, the thumping of the live music at the weekend guarantees you won't sleep until the early hours. It's a real shame, as otherwise I would definitely recommend it. Admittedly they did stop the music at midnight on Saturday night rather than 1am after we complained, but a fellow traveller informed me that the night before it went on until much later than 1am. Apart from this, the bar is really nice particularly in the weekday evenings when you get a braai to keep you warm, and the bar/catering/cleaning staff were great. Also it was a shame that the advertised services (e.g. internet cafe and salon) did not exist!

• Liked — Bar
  • Disliked — Noise at night
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business