“Cresta Golfview Hotel Lusaka”
Review of Cresta Golfview

Cresta Golfview
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lusaka
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was a very decent hotel. Very pleasant property with a herd of antelope. Room was adequate, staff very friendly. Free wifi for one hour a day although you can buy more time. Restaurant was a surprise, good food well prepared with reasonable prices. Wasn't crazy about the warthog but the fish dishes were interesting and tasty. Breakfast buffet was great. Nice little workout room too. Didn't try the pool but it looked great. If you want to explore (on foot) this isn't the greatest location but cabs were reasonable and the front desk can get them for you quickly.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out on the back of the property have a great view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
CrestaHotels, Manager at Cresta Golfview, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Cresta Golfview, Lusaka. We would like to thank you for staying with us and hope that we will see you again.

We are particularly pleased that you liked our resident herd of antelope and enjoyed the food in our restaurant.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about your experience during your stay at Cresta Golfview.

Yours sincerely

General Manager, Cresta Golfview

There are newer reviews for Cresta Golfview

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I spent 10 nights at the Golf View during June 2013. My room was number 37, which looks out at the main road passing by the hotel. If you can get an even numbered room, then you'll have a view of the pool and gardens in the back of the hotel, which are quite nice. I'd recommend a room on the upper floor if possible.

Things that I noted while staying:

* The water was hot, very hot in the shower and there was plenty of it. That is very nice.
* Each night I got a little treat on my pillow. This was a great touch.
* Breakfast and dinner are not exceptional, but they were just fine and the staff in the main restaurant were very friendly.
* The bar closes at 10:30 pm, so be sure to go early.
* The hotel let us use their business center for several hours one morning to conduct video interviews and a training session without charging us. We were very appreciative of this.
* Taxis can, sometimes, take a bit. If you want to go downtown the price will vary from 30 (if you are good at negotiating) to 60.
* You can, in theory, play a round of golf at the Chainama Hills Golf club which is just over the fence outside the hotel's yard - but... The entrance is several miles away and hard to find. You'll need to take a taxi.
* The actual name of the hotels is Cresta Golfview.
* There are two malls fairly close by taxi to the hotel. We enjoyed Rhapsody's restaurant and bar at the Arcades mall.

Be warned. Traffic is a bit tricky in Lusaka. If you want to go in to town during the week if you try at before 8am it can take a looooooong time. If you can wait to leave until 8:30 am you'll find traffic moves pretty well and you can be downtown in 15 to 20 minutes.

The hotel has a nice looking pool, but it was Winter in June and a bit too cold to swim. There is a conference center at the hotel that is nice if you have an event to host.

Lastly, network access is a bit problematic. You get a 1 hour, free coupon per day to use the hotel's wifi. The wifi failed for 24+ hours twice in 10 days while I was there and when people are on it's very slow. I worked around this by purchasing a local SIM and obtaining a data plan. For about USD $35 you can get 2GB from MTN mobile. Their data was _much_ faster than others at the hotel, but for about USD $15 you can get an unlimited data package from Airtel for a week - but, the local vendors at the airport did not know about this. I was able to purchase a SIM with around 100 Kwacha credit and then spend 75 Kwacha using SMS to activate the card with the unlimited data plan.

Overall, the hotel was clean, comfortable and was a wonderful place to relax after a full day of working hard. It's location is a bit far from town, but if you don't need to be in the city center until after 9am, then you should be OK.

Room Tip: Upstairs, even numbered rooms look out on the pool and garden area. Odd numbered rooms look out towa...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
CrestaHotels, General Manager at Cresta Golfview, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Greetings from Cresta Golfview Hotel.

Thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Cresta Golfview. We would like to thank you for staying with us and hope that we will see you again.

We are pleased that you found your 10 day stay with us to be pleasant. Thank you for your kind comments about the showers, the pillow treats and our hardworking, friendly staff. We will take heed of your observations regarding the wifi, but are delighted that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. Encouraging feedback from customers like yourself is so inspiring for the entire staff.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about Cresta Golfview Hotel in Lusaka.

Mr. Ntando Sibanda

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Having stayed here for 3 days at a recent conference I can happily state that this hotel is OK as it goes. I had a large suite which was very comfortable and the bedroom and separate bathroom were of a comfortable size. The room was very quiet which I appreciated having travelled a long way for the conference. The bathroom had what I needed, plenty of complimentary toiletries etc. as well as a large walk in shower where there was plenty of hot water available too. The bed was comfortable but the only downside for me was the lack of blackout curtains. Luckily for me I was up with the sparrows most days but when I checked in during the afternoon they would have been useful as I hoped to have a nap.

The staff were very attentive and occasionally went beyond the standard call of duty to accommodate myself and fellow conference attendees. Be warned, many of us attending the conference had problems paying or gaining money using Visa in Zambia including at this hotel. Best bring cash as some of us were ready to sell the shirts off our back to get enough hard currency to pay our bills. Considering this problem, I doubt it was a new issue, it would be good to accept Amex, DC or other credit card as back up. The staff did however do their best to help us which they technically didn’t have to do. Mr Gabriel manning reception most days was very proactive in helping me personally solve my bill payment issues.

The bar is well stocked and is a pleasant venue in the evening and the restaurant serves standard hotel fare overlooking some nice gardens. Overall not a bad experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
CrestaHotels, General Manager at Cresta Golfview, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Cresta Golfview

Greetings from Cresta Golfview Hotel.

We are delighted that you found your stay during your conference with us to be to your liking. We appreciate your comments regarding the comfortable and quiet rooms, as well as the attentive and friendly staff you encountered. We will take heed of your observations about the blackout curtains, as well as the difficulties you experienced with credit card payments, and we will address all these operational issues. Helpful feedback from customers like you is encouraging for the entire staff.

Mr. Ntando Sibanda

Reviewed August 26, 2012

The Cresta Golfview is located between the airport and town so it makes a good place to stay if you have an early flight and don't want to hastle with the morning traffic in town, but it can be frustrating. We tried to order a sandwich for lunch which took 2 hours to arrive, and getting service was like pulling teeth. The place is clean and the rooms are okay, if a bit outdated, but the staff is less than attentive. Moreover the price is the same as other places which have much better service and food.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
CrestaHotels, General Manager at Cresta Golfview, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Greetings from Cresta Golfview Hotel.

We appreciate your comments and would like to let you know that we will take heed of your issues with the service of the staff and the quality of the food. We are pleased to hear that you found the location of the hotel convenient for your travel needs. With your helpful feedback, we can work on problem areas and affect improvements in a swift manner.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

After missing our connecting flight between Mfuwe and Jhb, Pro-flight Zambia booked us into the Golfview hotel for one night. The location is great - as close to the airport and shopping areas as you can hope for in Lusaka.

The room was comfortable - nothing spectacular, but spectacular was not what we needed, so we were happy. There is a nice gym on site.

The restaurant was good! The waiters can do with a little bit of training in the finer things... Knowing which wines you have in stock etc.
We enjoyed the menu selections - impala, and warthog and crocodile on the menu. Maybe not to everybody's liking but we loved the experience.
They offered to make us packed-breakfast because we left very early the next morning - great idea, but the actual product can be improved upon!

Seeing as Pro-flight paid for the room and the food, I can not comment on value-for-money. But I had to sign the food-bill and it was was not bad!

Next time we miss a connecting flight, I won't mind being checked into the Golf-view hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Conrad C
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for a conference for 3 nights. The rooms were fairly large but the bathroom was really small - much too small in my opinion.

The staff were wonderful. I would like to acknowledge a particular front receptionist named Gift who even organized paracetamol for me when it ran out in the shop (and brought it to my room). He was particularly helpful.

The buffet breakfast was decent but the lack of real coffee was a huge let down! They serve Ricoffee (chicory mix coffee) and seem to use the coffee machine to boil water. I found out on the last day that if you order filter coffee specifically then you can get it (usually).

If you aren't familiar with Lusaka, then this is a great place to stay as it is very easy to find and a straight road to the major shopping areas and airport.

All in all, the hotel was comfortable, convenient and well, fine. I would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I attended a conference held at the hotel. I stayed in a two-room suite, which was comfortable although the furniture was a bit dated. The bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was large, with a separate walk-in shower. The room, and hotel, were very clean. Breakfast was good --buffet style with really excellent bacon and eggs cooked to order. One hour free wifi every day and it worked very well. The a la carte menu in the restaurant looked somewhat ambitious but the food was quite delicious and pretty good value for money. The staff were uniformly pleasant and responsive to people's requests.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business