“Chaotic, disastrous, dirty and overpriced”

Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lusaka
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I went to Lusaka on business and decided to spoil myself by staying at the Radisson. It is a new hotel and most of the reviews are fantastic. I was given Room 237. Upon entering my room, it had an odd stale smell. I noticed straight away a paper fruit basket with half eaten rotten strawberries and grapes. I looked at my bed and there was a pair of dirty, smelly black male socks ! The sheets were creased, crinkly and looked slept in not too long ago ! The bathroom looked used (leave that to your imagination !) Bridget, the floor manager came up and casually stated " The guest who was meant to have checked out has been in and out of this room the whole day ! " She agreed that the room was not clean and fit for a new guest and moved me to 232. This room was much cleaner and the beddings looked washed and ironed. I took off my clothes to have a shower and a man walked into my room ! Lucky, I had a towel around me. He too had been allocated room 232 as he showed me his card ! He had sense of humour when I told him that he wasn't what I ordered ! There must be a flaw with their key card system as both rooms I had been given seemed to have been allocated to two different guests with totally different names ! Bridget again apologised and bought me dinner. I have nothing else to add except "FAWLTY TOWERS "

Room Tip: Ask the check in staff to make sure the room is ready before you go there !
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Mukuma
RadissonBluLusaka90, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka Team, I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience during your stay with us. We welcome any feedback and employ all points as constructive input to exceed our guests future experiences.

Your feedback is concerning and not the kind a General Manager would like to receive. It has been brought to my attention that there was a miscommunication in regards to your room allocation. Please be assured that stronger and effective communication strategies have been discussed to prevent a similar incident from reoccurring.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the frustrations and inconvenience caused to you. I do hope this one off experience does not prevent you from staying with us again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka

Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is an overpriced hotel and an embarrassment to the Radisson Blu brand. Starting from check in, to the rooms and the food, everything is a disaster. It takes over 30 minutes to check in or to check out. The phones don't work, one has to go to the reception to request assistance. My room did not have hot water, I ended having a cold shower. I spoke to the manager but he seemed not to know anything and not to care. He did not even know that some of the rooms face a roof top.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
1  Thank Kennedy M
RadissonBluLusaka90, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us here at the Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka. We view any kind of feedback as positive as it allows us to ensure better service to our guests in the future. Please be assured that I have taken your comments on board and I sincerely hope we can restore your faith in the brand and have you come stay with us again.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Have stayed here twice in the past 2 months on business.

This is a pretty good hotel. Rooms are well furnished and clean. Power is reliable. Water is also good - hot and colourless and sufficient strength to have a good shower.

Restaurant is buffet style. Will never win a Michelin star, but its perfectly ok and didn't give me food poisoning.

Staff are generally excellent and will go out of their way to help. They are super friendly.

The gym is modern and good. Pool also looks good, but I didn't use it.

1  Thank Davey S
RadissonBluLusaka90, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a positive review regarding your stay with us. A review such as this is one both my team and I like to hear. Such feedback only enables us to strive for even better standards and maintain consistency.

On behalf of the team here at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka we look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Lusaka.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Reviews of this hotel have been good and I echo all the positive points made and will add a few of my own, toss in an observation or two, and point out a quirk or two.

Rooms are indeed quite spacious, super-modern w/o being over the top, and clean. Good bathroom layout with the mirror well lit (one of my pet peeves). The internet worked well, easy log in process, and was reliable, but not blazing fast (my daily e-reader newspaper download took 2-4 minutes). The desk was well laid out with two easy-to-reach power points that were universal -- they accept all kinds of plugs. Sadly, the desk was dark, but they brought me a desk lamp when I requested one.

The room power is controlled by the room key card; it is a smart card so it is not possible to override it.

Service was fine. I am allergic to feathers and they brought me two nice foam pillows in a trice. When a light bulb exploded in the socket, they had a technician there right away to change it.

Laundry service is available and not unreasonable for a five star hotel: shirt/undershorts/socks: $8.22/$3.65/$3.65.

In the main dining room they over feed you, but the food is good. The dinner buffet looked nice but I did not partake -- just too much food. Poolside, the thin crust pizza was one of the best I have tasted. The spa does a wikked foot massage, poolside if you want.

The hotel is close to a large shopping arcade. For early morning check-out, they have a "Grab and go" coffee and bun table that was really nice.

On the quirky side, my water was always plenty hot, but it would pulse -- surge -- making it hard to get a steady, comfortable flow. It didn't matter for shaving (run a sink full) but in the shower it was a bit annoying. And the in-room safe was very odd. It is on a shelf that is a bit low, and recessed, with the directions (I needed them as I have never seen this sort of a mechanism) in tiny print. I had to get my travel flashlight to sort it all out. The TV channels are few and uninteresting; no BBC.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
RadissonBluLusaka90, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you from the team here at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka. It is always appreciated when a Guest takes precious time to write such a positive and detailed review of their stay with us. As the General Manager I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our amenities and services. The team here all stand together to provide 100% customer satisfaction. We have managed to adopt great communication throughout departments with our unique “Yes I Can!” training and strive for comfortable stays.
With regards to the shower and safe problems experienced in your last room, our Maintenance team was informed and they are working swiftly towards a lasting solution.

Many thanks for your kind words. We are all looking forward to your next visit with us here in Lusaka.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

The Radisson Blu is well situated, modern and clean hotel. I was certainly surprised by the well equipped rooms, though I found the bath a bit quirky. Very good value for money and beats the other hotels in Lusaka hands down. I would not hesitate to stay again.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your stay with us. As General Manager I am delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and found many aspects of the hotel to your satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future Kind Regards

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice this month. One time in room 130, view of the entrance and the other time in room 129, pool view. Both rooms were basically identical. Although the safe seemed to work much better in 130 than in 129 where it had to be reset every time before use. Mosquito repellant was also provided in the rooms, though I’m not sure how good it was as I brought my own. There are no mosquito nets in the rooms, basically because I imagine there is no need.
This hotel is very boutique-European and is quite comfortable except for the pillows that are extremely soft! One of the good things about it was its location, the arcades mall is just across the street, although it is quite busy and a bit tricky to cross, and there are several banks next door and in the mall making changing money quite easy. I ate twice at the hotel’s Fellini restaurant and both times the food was good. The free WIFI worked really well, even in the gym! Which for me was a definite plus. They also offer a reliable shuttle to and from the airport, at an extra cost. The staff was helpful and friendly enough. My only complaint would be when I ran out of toilet paper it took them over an hour to bring some more! Good thing it wasn’t an emergency ☺ All in all a good place to stay in Lusaka, and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
RadissonBluLusaka90, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of your stay with us. As General Manager I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed a comfortable stay and found many aspects including the free wifi and food from filini restaurant to your satisfaction. Feedback such as this motivates my team to strive for an even higher standard in guest satisfaction, which our unique "Yes I Can!" training has instiled in us. Many thanks for your kind words and I look forward to having you visit again in the near future.

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Bathroom leaked for 3 days and no one attended to it until I physically stopped and dragged someone to the room.

The room we were moved to was larger yet at 02:20 we were rudely awakened when someone tried to open the door. The supervisor obviously did not update the system.

Restaurant needs to clear the tables of unused cutlery and clutter.

The espresso is terrible, please fix this, it's such a waste of a lovely machine and good coffee beans.

All in all it's very expensive for sub service standards.

Stayed: February 2014
RadissonBluLusaka90, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka Team, I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience here at the Hotel. We welcome any feedback and employ all points as constructive input to exceed our guest future experiences. We continuously strive to create the best stay possible and take great pride in our mission which our unique "Yes I Can!" training enables us to do.

That said, your feedback is concerning and not the kind a General Manager likes to receive. Please be assured that your comments will be taken on board as my team work together by sharing feedback to ensure a positive collective approach to all comments regardless of the nature.

I am delighted to inform you that the leak in the bathroom has been attended to and the Engineering team have inspected other rooms to ensure that this does not occur again. Furthermore, stronger and effective communication strategies are being discussed regarding booking errors and finally, the Nespresso Machines are fully serviced and back in use.

Please feel free to contact me directly during your next day and I will gladly discuss how we can improve your future stays here at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka further.

I do hope this one off experience will not prevent you from coming to stay with us again in the near future,