“Disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lusaka
Nairobi, Kenya
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The building and the rooms are quite nice, and new, but the atmosphere is simply dead. On arrival, the place feels an upmarket motel. No complaints about cleanliness, and the rooms are well finished, but the service leaves a lot to be desired. Everything seems a bit disorganized, and people at the reception seem to have no track of bookings. When ordering room service, expect them to bring something different from what you ordered, and if you like surprises, you should definitely try their laundry (too bad for my Zegna trousers). During my previous visits to Lusaka, I have always stayed at the Taj Pamodzi, where the rooms are a bit older, but the service is excellent! At least I know where not to stay the next time!

1 Thank Håvar B
RadissonBluLusaka90, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of my staff here at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent experience with us. While as a General Manager, this is not the kind of feedback I like to receive, my team and I still see this as a positive opportunity to redeem ourselves in order to reach a higher standard of customer satisfaction. A factor which, it goes without saying, is infinitely important to us. Therefore, please be assured that your comments have been taken on board and I will speak with the relevant departments. I do hope this one off experience will not prevent you from staying with us in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Nils Rothbarth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights on business and was very impressed. They allowed me to check in early. The room was very big, and very modern, they've obviously gone for the "cool" look inside which is decent. TV had about 9 sport channels, never seen such a choice in any hotel in the world. Very comfortable and huge bed. Only saw one mosquito in the room.

I used their conferencing facilities to host an event and the team was fabulous from point of enquiry to following up with me after the event. I also think it's a good location to host events on business as many major companies are located in the nearby vicinity.

I had a top hotel cab driver called Clifford taking me back and forth from different companies.

I thought the bar was cheap in comparison to what I'm used to (but the local places I went were ridiculously cheap), but I was mainly drinking local beer, the staff at the bar were great as well.

Had one late afternoon at the pool and that was a cool area to unwind and have a couple of beers, shame i didn't have more time there, so anyone who is just relaxing at the hotel will enjoy the pool area.

Food was ok, I mainly had basic pizza, steak when I ate at the hotel, as the main restaurant menu looked pretty average. Would be cool if they had a small local restaurant as part of the hotel doing local food, but maybe the demand isn't there for that.

One negative, the shower wasn't a 5star shower, thinking of the effort they have gone to on the hotel/rooms, I'd have thought they'd have put a 5 star shower in the room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RadissonBluLusaka90, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of my team here at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka I would like to offer my sincerest thanks for you taking the time to write such a detailed a positive response regarding your recent stay with us. I was delighted and humbled to read that not only did you find your stay comfortable but most importantly, that my staff were instrumental in ensuring that your visit was enjoyable.

Here at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka my team and I pride ourselves on being able to deliver high standards of guest satisfaction through our unique "Yes I Can Training" and so, to receive such kind and thoughtful feedback only reinvigorates our passion to drive our standards higher.

I do hope you will come and stay with us again soon and have an even more enjoyable experience than the last. In regards to the shower in your room, please be assured that your comments have been taken on board and I will liase with my staff in the relevant departments to see that the matter is rectified as soon as possible.

Glasgow
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. The room was large, clean and the bed was comfy. Very good breakfast and the dinner was nice if rather expensive. The staff were friendly and welcoming with the exception of the restaurant manager. He dealt very harshly and in public with our waiter who had made a small mistake in the order. When we spoke to him about his manner he became unpleasant with us and then visibly 'sulked' for the rest of our stay. Shame in a good hotel and not the usual Radisson way!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rothbarth, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on Trip Advisor. We are always pleased to hear feedback and have taken your comments on board and actions taken to ensure improvements in the areas mentioned.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka in the not too distant future.

Best Regards
London
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Overall clean and well built. Service is of a high standard and staff are very attentive. The only downside would be their inability to arrange my transfer from the airport, which left us stranded at the airport for quite some time, being a foreign country we didn't know what to expect!

Internet is of a high speed and never experienced those annoying cut offs that even Hilton visitors tend to experience.

Good location and would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick a pool-view room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RadissonBluLusaka90, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write about your recent experience with us here at Radisson Blu Lusaka. While I was pleased to hear that you found my staff to be attentive and that you would come and stay with us again, I must reassure you that your comments regarding your airport transfer have been taked on board and I have liased with the departments responsible in order to ensure an incident like this does not happen again. That said, as a General Manager, I am always happy to receive any kind of feedback from guests as it allows my team an opportunity to rectify issues and concerns raised. I do hope you will come and stay with us again and have an even more enjoyable time than the last.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Good rooms. Excellent breakfast. Best place to stay in Lusaka in my opinion (been coming here for 27 years). Bar and food quite pricey but there are other restaurants across the road at Arcades. Excellent Wifi. i have stayed here on 9 occasions now and have not got a bad thing to say. Staff are very friendly and helpful but then this is typical in Zambia!

Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for your kind and thoughtful response of your time spent here at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka. As a General Manager, I was delighted to hear that you have had nine enjoyable stays with us. Our unique "Yes I Can!" training not only encourages my staff to be enthusiastic about their work but most importantly to cater to our guests and ensure they have a pleasant stay. So, to receive such positive feedback will only encourage my team to aim for an even higher level of guest satisfaction. I do hope you will come and stay again soon,

Kindest Regards,

Chingola
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at the raddison blue with my boyfriend visiting from the UK for 2 nights and guess what it was incredible, the rooms where big and spacious and we had a glorious time up until the time things started getting very unpleasant, we decided to order a pizza from room service and we waited for 2 hours and our order never showed up, so we called room service again and we were told our order was on the way and surprise!instead of getting a pizza we got this huge burger lmao they apologized for the mix up and made our order right. Again when we went to the pool area mini bar, my bf ordered some drink and the stuff didnt know how to make it so he returned it and so after 2 days we checked out and we had a pretty much great time. So after our entire travel trip in livingstone, my boyfriend booked a room at Raddison again for our final night back in lusaka before he flew back to London and everything was settled so we came back to lusaka and went to the hotel after a long ride from Livingstone and we were very exhausted and we were looking forward to getting to our room and just crushing on the bed, it was late in the evening around 8:00pm when we got to the hotel as soon had we arrived we got the biggest shock of all, guess what?! our room was not available, they had decided to cancel our reservation without informing us because of some clients who didnt check out and had left their things in the room and they didnt have a clue were their clients were at. so as their way of apologizing, they had booked us a room at royal palace just abt 3 minutes drive from their hotel and guess what the place isnt as gorgeous the the name,the place was awful!it was too woody and the bathroom was a complete mess and the bed was too hard OMG i cant even begin to describe it, it was like been in a horror movie, the least they could have done was take us elsewhere not that hotel!!maybe a decent room right across the street at arcades protea hotel , the manager was too apologetic and asked my boyfriend if there was anything he could do for us to make up for the trouble, so my boyfriend was like oh well no problem just organise me a shuttle to take take me to the airport in the morning so the manager was like oh yeah no problem and then morning came and guess what, the manager called and told my boyfriend that the shuttle was not available as the driver had gone to pick up one of their clients from the airport WTF?! really? this really made my boyfriend super mad, what was supposed to be our special final moment together in Zambia was ruined by this hotel.So next time they decide to cancel reservations and book some other place for their clients without their consent they should first check with them if its okay because its the most logic thing to do and because they have no freaking idea how other clients are gonna respond to this kind of treatment the next thing they will be slammed with is a freaking lawsuit.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RadissonBluLusaka90, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for kindly taking the time to review your recent experience with us here at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka. As a General Manager, I see any kind of feedback as essential in the successful running of a hotel as it allows my team the opportunity to rectify the issues and concerns which are raised. As I can see, in your case there were a few and so I would like to invite you to contact me personally on nils.rothbarth@radissonblu.com where I will happily discuss with you in greater depth your concerns. That said, I do hope this one off experience will not put you off staying with us again.

DURBAN
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Room was good. Breakfasts and dinners were great. Great people to deal with at reception. Very friendly hotel staff. The spa was disappointing though. The staff at the Spa made me feel as though it was an inconvenience to get a massage. Price list for the Spa in the hotel room was different to the ones at the Spa. But they eventually gave us the cheaper rate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RadissonBluLusaka90, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time out of your day to write a review about your recent experience with us here at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka. I was delighted to hear that you our standards regarding our rooms and food were up to standard however, please be assured that your comments regarding the Spa will be taken on board and I will liase with the staff at the next opportunity. We take the care and well being of our guests very seriously and hope that this one off experience will not prevent you from staying with us in the future.