“Check your room rate”

Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Lusaka
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed at Radisson Hotel Lusaka for 2 nights - first time. Room rate fir 2 nights (same room - same booking) was different. I requested explanation and was told ")the system calculates average rate" This does not make sense unless the rate is in US$ and average is calculayed using Daily $ rate something staff deny. This is illegal as Zambian businesses are no longer allowed to quote in dollars.

Check the rate before paying.

• Stayed: February 2013
RadissonBluLusaka, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Mr. Schoeman,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconsistent information given and the inconvenience caused. I have addressed this service lapse with the relevant head of department, who will ensure that this does not recur.

I would like to clarify that we do comply with all statutory instruments and legal requirements. We do not accept foreign currency as legal tender. Similar to international airlines, our hotel uses an international recognized best available rate system which amends rates on a daily basis. This allows travelers to receive the most benefits by being able to book the best available rate of the day. Therefore, for rate transparency you will be able to see the best available rate of the day.

Once again, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in future. We value you as a guest and hope to welcome you back to the Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka.

With warm regards,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Sometimes, when you have travelled a considerable distance before arriving at a hotel, its first impression on you can be a lasting one. I had previously stayed at four other hotels in Lusaka prior to the Radisson Blu, only one of which I have fond memories - the Southern Sun. Despite the Radisson's best and warm efforts to welcome me and my companions to their hotel, the staff failed on several counts at the very start of my experience and remained fairly consistent throughout my four nights there.

Here is a hotel that, for some years has been close to completion and opening but, for reasons I am unaware, has not quite made it to "open" until now. I spent a lot of time wondering if they should have just stayed closed to get things right, but I have heard that the operation went through several hands before someone finally took it by the horns and opened it. Mistake number one. The check-in started well - we were asked to sit down in the lounge while they did the walking and standing, a big plus. But we sat and sat while they stuffed around trying to work out who was it which room (difficult, I can imagine, given that there are only three floors - more on these later). Finally we had all been allocated rooms, and then commenced the debacle that was tagging of the luggage and delivery to our rooms. It took four people (one less than it did to check us in) to work out whose bags were whose, and who would be delivering them. I lost patience and simply grabbed mine and asked for directions to my room.

I was pointed to the lift, which was out of order - something I and one of the staff discovered after waiting at its doors for five minutes. I charged off up the nearest staircase muttering to myself, and eventually found my floor. However, curiously the top of the stairs had two ranges of numbers on the wall. One range pointing left, and another pointing right. My room number did not fit in either range, and when questioned about the location of my room, a member of staff seemed baffled and wasn't sure if it existed! It did, eventually, reveal itself ... but not before having to change my key twice.

I was going to mention the floors. The walls outside the lift are numbered differently, in other words if the lift says you are on floor two, you are actually on floor three according to the wall. This may have been fixed, but you have been warned. The bars are not bad, and some of the staff are pleasant, aside from the chap who overcharged us consistently in the bar and, when questioned, revised the bill without so much as a hint of embarrassment and apology.

The location of this hotel is convenient, but what a hideous building! The breakfast was delicious, but what a strange way to access it - down a tiny escalator, five steps, up another one of the same size ... all just to get under the front driveway?

The manager is a Russian gentleman, who was very pleasant, but the management on the day of our departure were less than pleasant. We were close to missing a flight and there was a major discrepancy with a conference room booking fee, but they very nearly refused to let us go on the promise from us that, in addition to the deposit, we would pay the remainder from home once they had sorted out their mistake. It didn't go down well, but then neither did the bathwater in my bathroom. Aside from the peculiar shape of the tub, which required a yoga position or two to get in and out, the drainage was laughable! It came out of the plug, half leaked through onto the floor and the other half came back up a drainage pipe near the toilet.

Needless to say, I will be returning to the Southern Sun if I can.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
RadissonBluLusaka, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to give feedback on your recent stay with us. I am truly disheartened to hear about the frustrations you experienced during your stay with us. Please be assured that I view any type of unacceptable service delivery in a very serious light, and I would like to offer my apologies for the unacceptable service you received during your stay.

I have addressed the lengthy check-in that you were subjected to on arrival with our Front Office Manager, who will conduct the necessary training to ensure this does not recur in future.

The concurrent disappointments experienced are inexcusable. I appreciate your observations about the numbering of the lift and the floors. I have notified our Chief Engineer and this will be action-ed as a future priority project. Thank you for your comment on the design of the building, we receive a variety of comments on a daily basis and thank you for your input.

We value you as a guest and very much hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the near future. We fully consent that there are many choices when it comes to lodging in Lusaka ; I however sincerely hope that my assurance in dealing with the reported incidents will restore your confidence in booking with Radisson Blu Lusaka for all your future travels in 2013 and years to come.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Compared to the other 5 stars in Zambia the Radisson certainly has the five star touch. The rooms are spacious, well equipped and comfortable. I enjoyed all the services except the food is not the very best. The open buffet is fine but not excellent.
The best feature of the hotel is the owner a Mr Ody, he's hilarious, hospitable, friendly and a character that you would never forget. He hangs around the outside restaurant and is more than happy to have a chat.

• Stayed: February 2013
RadissonBluLusaka, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that we are your preferred choice of 5 star Hotels in Lusaka.

However, I am very concerned to hear your comments regarding the poor standard of food quality and would like to apologize for this unacceptable standard received. This issue has been brought to the attention of the Executive Chef as well as the Food and Beverage Manager, who have taken it upon themselves to thoroughly review our menus and improve on them.

New menu items shall be launched in the first quarter of 2013, as well as the introduction of themed nights from various nationalities around the world.

Once again, thank you for your valued feedback. We value you as a client and very much hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the near future.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

With warm regards,

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We spent one night at the Radisson. The room looked amazing and spacious. There were a few problems: there was no hot water in the afternoon/evening, the tv remote batteries were dead, bathroom cleanliness was 8/10, reservations failed to make and confirm our dinner reservation at the restaurant - luckily there was still a table available, on check-out the staff took about 30min to figure out what we had consumed out of the mini-bar.
But otherwise, the staff were very well-spoken and excellent manners.
These are minor problems to some, but I would advise to double check everything and double check requests have been carried out.

Room Tip: Book a room that leads out to the pool! Not noisy at all.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
RadissonBluLusaka, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay with us, it is only with feedback like yours that we can fine tune our operations and improve our service delivery. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.

We view issues of this nature in a very serious light. I can assure you, this is not the standard of service that we intend to provide. Intense training shall be conducted through the relevant department heads to avoid incidence of this nature recurring. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.

I hope this will not deter you from staying with us in future. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I live in the Southern Province and have stayed at just about every decent hotel in Lusaka....Rad Blu is the best by far. Gorgeous rooms, exceptional staff, excellent foo, and a location that can't be beat.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
RadissonBluLusaka, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Ms, Gretchen,

Thank you very much for your valued feedback. I will definitely share your message with my team. We are glad to hear that we are your preferred choice of Hotels in Lusaka.

Your loyalty is appreciated and we value you as a client. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the fairly new Radisson Blu hotel at the recommendation of a friend. I was impressed from the start when I was offered a much needed ice cold bottle of water, in the shuttle from the airport. When I got to the hotel, the reception start was efficient and although there was some confusion with the room it was quickly sorted out. The overall hotel is very modern and the rooms are really, really huge.

I spent quite a bit of time at the Pool Bar, which is situated in a rather serene setting near the pool. The staff, whether at reception, at the the pool bar or in the main restauarant were consistently helpful and friendly.

The breakfast is ok and the food at the pool bar I felt was a little sub-par and often quite greasy, but was still edible.

Overall however, with the central location which was close to most of my business meetings as well as the perfect service has made this my hotel of choice in Lusaka.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Rothbarth, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay. Your views are extremely important to us. I will definitely share your message with my team.

I am delighted to read that you were pleased with our services and all Radisson Blu associates went out of their way to make you feel most comfortable.

I also read that you were not happy with our Food and Beverage offering, which I have taken note of and have forwarded your feedback to our senior F&B team. I am glad that you have raised these issues, we will use them as a platform for future improvements.

I am pleased that you will be returning to the Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka and I am looking forward to meeting you in person at our hotel.

We look forward to having you back.

See you soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I rate the RadissonBlu in Lusaka as excellent. I have stayed for 3 weeks, then again for 6 weeks. I have also stayed in other hotels in Lusaka. The hotel is brand new (opened in Sept 2012). The rooms are huge - the biggest I have ever stayed in; and with marble tile floors, not carpet.Everything works in the rooms; including the best wireless internet in Lusaka; which is included in the tariff. As well as the restaurants and bars at the hotel, it is a 2-minute walk across the road from the hotel to the Arcades Shopping Centre, at which there is a hotel, casino and many restaurants and cafes.

The staff just cannot do enough for you. They are very friendly, courteous, happy and always welcoming. The pool area and bar is very spacious, relaxing and easily the best I have seen in Lusaka. My two check-ins and check-outs have been faultless and quick.

As with any hotel, there are occasional little hiccups; however, the 2 or 3 I have had have been attended to promptly, and without fuss.

Nils, the General Manager, and Carsten, the Assistant General Manager are both very warm, friendly, helpful and welcoming. If you have a problem, then simply approch them if the staff have any difficulty with it. Nils and Carsten are very happy to be approached and will assist - and not just say that they will do something.

If you stay for even 3 or 4 nights, then also introduce yourself to Herbert and Clinton, who are the restaurant managers. They are terrific in their manner, warmth and friendliness. They also are most happy to assist. Herbert is simply a lovely, friendly Zambian ambassador.

Simply, you will never find absolute perfection in everything in a hotel. However, I recommend the RadissonBlu very strongly. I will be staying in Lusaka for 18 weeks altogether in 2013, travelling on business, and it will always be at the Radisson.

Best wishes,

Colin O'Gorman
Brisbane
Australia

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Mr O’Gorman,
Greetings from Radisson Blu Hotel Lusaka.

It was quite humbling to read your beautiful and most complementary review. We are delighted that the Radisson Blu team was able to exceed your expectations.

My sincere thanks for recommending our hotel to all your friends and colleagues.

In the meantime I look forward to welcome you back at the Radisson Blu Hotel when you next visit Lusaka.

Very best regards