“Appreciate the service”

Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Lusaka
Nairobi, Kenya
“Appreciate the service”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times and always appreciate the good service. The location is good, upkeep is fine (although some of the rooms could do with a slight renovation). The outside breakfast and lunch area is really nice, next to the pool.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sieyes
Hiren P, Assistant Quality Manager at InterContinental Lusaka, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Sieyes,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your many stays at InterContinental Lusaka.

We appreciate your comments and we are very grateful for your continued loyalty with us.
I hope you are member of our InterContinental Hotels Loyalty Program and are enjoying the many benefits of being an IHG (InterContinental Hotel Group) Reward Member. If you are not a member, for your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Guest Relations team who will be more than happy to enrol you so you can enjoy the benefits.

Again, thank you for your review; we look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Lusaka.

Kind regards

Assistant Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

A one night stay whilst passing through Lusaka on business.

Great service, and despite warnings that due to there only being two fibre optic cables into Zambia the wireless internet access was the fastest I encountered during the trip - significantly better and more reliable then the group hotel in Johannesburg!

We ate in the new Italian Restaurant and this was very good, with service one instinctively associates with the Intercon.

All in all another great stay

Room Tip: West wing is good
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hiren P, Assistant Quality Manager at InterContinental Lusaka, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Barry B,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on your recent stay at InterContinental Lusaka.

We appreciate your comments, particularly regarding our internet services as in the past we have had major challenges.

Your comments regarding our new Italian Restaurant, Rosso, is very motivating for our staff, as you mentioned this is a new restaurant and we are very pleased you enjoyed the food and that we met your expected standards.

Once again, thank you for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Lusaka!

Arusha, Tanzania
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I booked this hotel for a meeting and before the meeting we signed a contract. The hotel accommodation and food were very good. However they are greedy not to say when they have no rooms for conferences, the room they gave me for our meeting was a small suite, and I really felt offended because the people I took there were senior officials from the government. After inquiring about the possibility of getting another room, I was told the hotel is full meaning other conference rooms were occupied. I was so mad, because why did they accept business when they have no more conference rooms, at least they should have advised me the type of room they were going to offer. Also they overcharge people and up to now they have not given me a refund of the extra money they took from me. I have tried to call and write emails but they keep on saying we will refund since December 2013. I wish to warn people going to stay at this hotel to be careful and read carefully their bills. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED and if tripadvisor can do something so that I get refunded I will appreciate. I owe them US$ 380.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Upendo L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay.

We are glad that you were pleased with the accommodation and the food served in our Food & Beverage outlets.

I am sorry to see that we failed to meet your Conference & Banqueting requirements. We have in the past hosted a number of meetings / conferences in our Business Suites and when we do host such meetings in the suites we usually communicate this option effectively to our guests and conduct a show round of the suite prior to the meeting. This should have been done in your case.

I would like to investigate this in more detail, particularly your claim for a refund, as if there is any money owing to you since December 2013 this refund should have been completed within 7- 10 working days and therefore I would like to ensure this is done immediately.

In addition I would like to investigate thoroughly into the communication process of the room hire for your conference. In order for me to do this, I will need to obtain additional details. Kindly contact me via email at guestrelations.iclusaka@ihg.com and please address your email to me, Lucy Mwananshiku, Assistant Quality Manager.

I hope to hear from you very soon.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 24, 2014

stayed in lusaka for one night coming from livingstone,The hotel is located in embassies area, Room is clean and renoveted, Service is excellent, Very good italian restaurent, Pizza is soo delicous, bottom line & according to my opinion: the best hotel in the city ( see photos)

Room Tip: upgrade to Executive room, Very good executive lounge.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank YEHYA_MAYA
Hiren P, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Lusaka, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear YEHYA_MAYA,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review on-line!

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

We appreciate your compliments regarding the cleanliness of your guest room, customer service and our new Italian restaurant, Rosso. Comments like these are very encouraging to us and cause us to aim higher in terms of customer satisfaction.!

Again, thank you for your review, we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Lusaka, Zambia
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Overall this is a nice hotel, albeit a bit rundown with age. The staff tries to be friendly and helpful, although that is somewhat inconsistent. Below is the commentary on my recent stay submitted to Intercontinental Hotels Group. I think it says it all:

I made a reservation to stay at this hotel for 12 nights. After six nights, at 8 p.m. on a Sunday I was informed I had to move immediately because of an on-going construction project. Immediately? Really? This was discovered on Sunday night? I don't think so. When I complained to the GM, he was gracious and apologetic and moved me to the Club level. Good. But two days later, I was called at 7:30 p.m. to inform me that the construction project was now moving to the Club level and I had to either move again, or accept a "portable air conditioner." A portable air conditioner in the middle of Summer in Lusaka? Ridiculous. This should have never happened to begin with, when I made the original reservation. Then, SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE CHECKED before moving me to the Club level. IHC in Lusaka has shown itself to be inept as well as disdainful of its guests and their comfort. I just gave up and moved to the Taj Pamodzi, where the accomodations and service turned out to be outstanding.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Herb G,

Thank you for your candid review.

Yes, we are very familiar with your unpleasant experience with our hotel during your stay with us in December 2013.

I sincerely apologize for the lack of attention to you as individual guest and as a result the poor manner in which you had been managed during your stay.

The hotel has been experiencing great challenges with the effective operation of the guest room AC units and essential maintenance works needed to be carried out during that period.

This is by no means an excuse and we are very sorry to have lost you as a valued guest of the hotel.

We have learned from this unfortunate experience and have taken the necessary measures to ensure this unusual way of managing our guests will not occur again.

I am glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Lusaka, however we ask for one last opportunity for you to stay with us again. We hope you will re-consider and come back to us.

Yours sincerely,

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

We visited the Hotel, their food is lovely, their staff members very friendly and helpful.
Service is very good, rooms need attention though.
Gymnasium beautiful, swimming pool very clean.
Lovely place to stay.
Well done.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear coen_12,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed yourselves particularly for such a special occasion as a wedding!

We appreciate your compliments regarding the hospitality of our staff, customer service and hotel facilities, your comments are very motivating for us!

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Lusaka and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Haifa, Israel
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed for 3 nights at the hotel during January. The hotel is very nice and as an ambassador I was upgraded on check-in. The room was big and clean, like other parts in the hotel. I also got treats in my room. My room was on the 7th floor and was on the furthers side of the hotel.
Breakfast was very good and had a large variety of different dishes; especially that one can squeeze his or hers own juice.
The hotel is 30 minutes from the airport and its location is minutes ride to the center.
The staff was very welcoming and nice. The Gym is big and has plenty of equipment.
You get a 24hr free Internet access. Unfortunately it works for only 1 device, but the connection was good and I could complete my work.
I enjoyed staying at this hotel and would defiantly stay again when I'm in Lusaka.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hiren P, General Manager at InterContinental Lusaka, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Oz999,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review of your recent stay at the InterContinental Lusaka.

Your comments regarding the breakfast served in our restaurant, the hospitality of our staff and Hotel facilities is most encouraging and I shall share this with our team.

With regards to our wireless internet access availability for more than one device, this service is very much available to all our guests staying with us; I do wish you had consulted a member of staff who could have assisted in directing you to a Guest Service Agent from our Business Center or our IT Manager.

Once again, thank you for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Lusaka.

Hiren Prabhakar