“A Business Class Hotel for a Business Class Budget!”

InterContinental Lusaka
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Lusaka
Pretoria, South Africa
“A Business Class Hotel for a Business Class Budget!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times. It is good for business purposes. HOWEVER, at US$250 per night you hardly expect to have to pay an extra $12 for WiFi! They do offer a one hour option at $6 but the system is so pathetically slow that you can only receive or dispatch one email in that time! The problem is compounded by the fact that 3G does not work at the hotel either! I spent one night at a local lodge because the hotel was fully booked and at $100 a night there I got free WiFi that actually worked!

Room Tip: The rooms away from the street are better, particularly on the east side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MikeMouse2910
Hiren P, General Manager at InterContinental Lusaka, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear MikeMouse2910,
Thank you for posting a review of our property.
I am happy to inform you that we have a new internet infrastructure installed & have increased our bandwidth, which is the highest provided by any city hotel in Lusaka. The speed of the internet connection in Lusaka is not as efficient, as there are only two Fibre Link connections out of Zambia which all Internet providers are using.
From 1.July IHG Rewards Elite & Platinum members, will have free access to Internet.

It was unfortunate that we could not accommodate you on your last visit due to 100% occupancy, we hope to be your preferred hotel on your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hiren Prabhakar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel is not bad. The reception staff could be a bit more service minded, but overall they were OK. The gym is large and well-equipped, the swimming pool was nice as well.
Breakfast is just great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mounzo,
Thank you for posting a review of our property and your positive comments.
I have shared your comments with the team and we will make every effort to improve our reception services.
We are happy that you enjoyed our swimming pool & the facilities in our gym, & hope you had the opportunity to participate in one of the activities, salsa, rhumba, yoga, or aerobics.

We have recently launched our Facebook page where you will be able to follow our hotel, learn more about all our exciting activities and promotions.

We are delighted you enjoyed your time at InterContinental Lusaka and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights, the service you receive is excellent, the staff just can't do enough for you and the food is also excellent.

I don't know what the wireless was like because i never used it but it is not free, it is 6 dollars for 1 hour and 12 dollars for one day, i was a bit shocked at that in this day and age especially in a hotel of this standard.

The pool is a decent size and the area around it very nice and looked after. There is the hotel restaurant right next to the pool so if you have children then you have somewhere to eat, drink and relax but still able to keep a close eye on your children.

Airport is 20 minutes away from this hotel.
ATM is outside the airport door, i say door because there is only one door, it is a very small airport.
At one time you could use dollars in this country but not anymore, they only take local currency, however saying that; the visa for a British person is in dollars and it is $50 for a single entry, if you intend going back a few times then get a multi visa entry. I guess you can pay in other currencies but i am not sure, also not sure about credit cards, best to take dollars to pay for the visa.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker then you can also get a smoking room if you want. If you have children they ha...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear john F,
Thank you for posting a review of our property and your positive comments, I have shared your comments with the team. It is always a huge motivation to our team to see positive guest comments, and drives us to serve our guests better.

From 1.July we are offering free internet for IHG Rewards Elite & Platinum members.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

One star because the air conditioning worked. The staff in general were very pleasant and every time you walked past one you were greeted by a hello.
I woke up on my second morning having been bitten by something in the bed. I pulled back the sheets to find I had shared the bed with somebody's toenails and pubic hair. The sheets on the other side of the bed were dirty too. There is not even a hair dryer in the room or indeed much water pressure in the shower. Tried to relax by the pool but the noisy staff were erecting a marquee and then the next day the same marquee was being taken down.
Checking out I commented to the receptionist but he looked at me as if I had just said thank you for a lovely stay. It all seemed to go over his head. I expect at least the basics in a room and cleanliness I believe is the most basic requirement.
My company puts me in this hotel and I will be informing the relevant department. Next time I stay here I will inspect the room from top to bottom before I accept it.
One other comment re the Internet. Don't even bother. For 2 days I couldn't access anything at all.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Lusaka, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Tony R,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we were not able to satisfy you with the quality and service you have received. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Windhoek, Namibia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Big, lots of rooms, lifts or elevators, long hallways...typical "hotelish climate". Rooms and bedding are clean. Lovely, big, outdoor swimming pool. I guest the best thing about this hotel is that it's close to the center of Lusaka. Just a normal, typical city hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hiren P, General Manager at InterContinental Lusaka, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear 12 marionc,
Thank you for posting a review of our hotel, we appreciate your positive comments.
I have shared your comments with the team and it always gives us all great encouragement & adds to our determination to provide our guests with the best service they expect from us.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a good friendly hotel where the staff get to know you very quickly, they are helpful and respond to needs. The hotel is well positioned, has good places to eat, bars, restaurant and poolside eating. The pool and the gardens are attractive and well kept. A very good hotel in the middle so sub Saharan Africa. We will use it again when we come to share some educational ideas in a local special school.

Room Tip: Loved my room at the front of the hotel on level four - with good lifts!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear 12maionc,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Everything would probably be the same and standard service for all intercon hotels but this location's wifi is really, really bad. It keeps on disconnecting and you have to reconnect everytime. I also find it weird to see the fridge was sealed. When I asked why it was sealed the staff just mentioned I could open it if i want! I have been to at least 3 intecon location but I have not seen this before.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rineoa,
Thank you for posting a review of our hotel, we appreciate your comments.
I have shared your comments with the team.
Although we provide the maximum bandwidth than any other city hotel, we are improving our internet offering to our guests. Having said that the speed of the internet connection into Lusaka is not as efficient as many other parts of the world. With the changes we are incorporating we are confident you will see a big improvement very soon.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Intercontinental Lusaka.