“Lusaka with Ease”

Southern Sun Ridgeway
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Lusaka
“Lusaka with Ease”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The General Manager, Adrian, and all the staff make staying at The Ridgeway a very pleasurable experience and the hotel's location in Lusaka makes it one of the best to stay at for conveniences sake. What more could one ask for at a city hotel? Well it is more than that because everyone really makes you feel very welcome. The food is always good and the service very speedy. The rooms are perhaps a little dated but the beds are super comfortable and a good nights sleep is always guaranteed.
Adrian is always around, hosting superbly and ensures that everything runs smoothly. I am indebted to him and his team for arranging the cocktail drinks at short notice for me. All done without any fuss or bother! That'sThe Ridgeway for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SSRidgeway, General Manager at Southern Sun Ridgeway, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, we appreciate your feedback very much. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind comments about our food and service. I am also pleased your cocktail party went well.

Deputy General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Mfuwe
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We regularly come to Lusaka and the Southern Sun is our first choice of hotel. The staff are always friendly and very attentive. Management are always around and engaging. The central courtyard is a wonderful,quiet, peaceful and safe area where we can relax and enjoy some great food. The rooms are functional,clean and well appointed. From a business perspective having WiFi that works is incredibly useful.

We would always recommend this as a stay over in Lusaka.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DKWillo
SSRidgeway, General Manager at Southern Sun Ridgeway, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, we appreciate your feedback very much. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind comments.

Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I’m a loyal customer of the Southern Sun hotels in Eastern Africa, so when I had to go to Lusaka for work for the first time and was hesitating between the Taj and the Southern Sun, the choice was simple.
Although I love Taj hotels and the Taj corporate room rate was similar to the Southern Sun, their WiFi came at an additional fee while with the Southern Sun it was included, which I prefer as I don’t like to have many different items added to my hotel bill.

Apart from that I use TripAdvisor all the time for my travel arrangements, especially when going to a place I haven’t been before, and guess who’s n° 1 in Lusaka? Southern Sun!
If they continue like this that’s about to change I’m afraid and Taj will take the lead.

*Southern Sun airport shuttle pick-up at Lusaka airport; on time, friendly driver

*Southern Sun check-in; not the usual warm welcome I'm used to in the other Southern Sun hotels, but as such not unfriendly, just indifferent (on the phone during the entire check-in), so concentrated on the phone that she didn't notice a guest who had just checked-in desperately trying to catch her attention as his key card wasn't working.
He got very annoyed when they smugly told him HOW to use a key card (he was obviously a frequent traveler and it was not him being an idiot, but the card was not properly coded)
Rolling eyes as soon as he was gone (with a new card) while I was still there.
Tip; you can complain as much as you want in the room behind reception with your colleagues, not in front of other customers….

*Southern Sun restaurant: breakfast very good, lunch/dinner menu also good and decent wine selection.

*Room (228) ; usual Southern Sun style, but a bit bare in a way that there was not a single card or book indicating restaurant times, pool times, room service menu etc, nothing.
WiFi not working (which is majorly annoying when you have a lot of work to catch up on after a long day of meetings and flights....), so ended up only working at the lobby area / restaurant.
Housekeeping banging on my door, twice, at around 11pm (I was in bed already)....wrong room number. Sigh.

The second and thankfully last night I was in my bed (as one does at night in general...) when shortly before 1am my phone rang, it was reception.
They transferred the phone to a gentleman standing at reception wanting to talk to me, he had seen me at the management cocktail that the hotel arranges every Wednesday night for 'valued frequent guests' and apparently reception had been so kind to not only give him my full name but also my room number, how incredible helpful of them!
Needless to say I was absolutely livid. I travel all over Africa for work but this has been the first time that I had to deal which such useless receptionists not respecting the most basic rules of hotel privacy (having worked in the hospitality industry myself for years I dare to say I know what the rules are, they're quite simple!).

1) never give out a customer’s details
2) never mention the room n° (the guy mentioned my room n° while talking to me, asking me to come down or if he should come to my room rather, n° 228 right? Freakish!)
3) don’t transfer a call in the middle of the night and I could go on and on….

Next morning I checked out, when the –as such friendly- receptionist asked me the standard question how my stay was and I said ‘TERRIBLE, will never be back’ she had nothing more to say and started to chat to a colleague instead. I mentioned all the above comedy of errors but absolutely NO reaction apart from a stumbled ‘sorry’.

Paid close to 550 USD for the honour (two nights + one way airport transfer + some food items), could have stayed in the Taj for that, and will definitely do so next time.

Wanting to give the hotel a chance before updating TripAdvisor, I first filled out the Southern Sun customer satisfaction survey which was mailed to me upon my return and almost immediately got a call from the manager apologising, but complaint remains unsolved and I won't be back.
Therefore this update.
They offered a refund, but this is a work trip and I will shoot myself in the foot...if I spend suddenly way less on hotels I will end up with a smaller travel budget next year, not a clever move.

What infuriated me even more is that the receptionist who gave out my room n° and who called my room, is now obviously trying to save his behind (when asked by the manager WHAT had gotten in to him to let someone call my room close to 1am?) and starts to insinuate that he had seen me with this guy. Duh, he would have seen me with quite some people, we were at least 30 at the cocktail, does that mean anybody can come up to reception and ask for me? Does that make me an easy woman or what haha (not funny actually)?
I'm quite happily married, just for the record...
Unbelievable & insulting really.
Lady travelers especially, stay away, your safety is not taken serious here.

Room Tip: Room 228 and all the other ones in that block (streetside far from reception) suffered from very poo...
2 Thank FlyingGonzo_10
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay. The atmosphere is relaxing and the restaurant I cannot fault. A really nice setting too unlike the other hotels. I would highly recommend to anyone staying here. I also went to the Wednesday cocktail which is a nice bonus with food too. The only down side is the rooms are a bit dated but I understand this is being overhauled shortly. So hopefully all will be even better by the next time I stay.

Room Tip: Best rooms overlook the gardens
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank 206MarkB
SSRidgeway, General Manager at Southern Sun Ridgeway, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, we appreciate your feedback very much. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We will start to refurbish the rooms soon and will be completed towards the end of this year. All the rooms in the Weavers block have already been refurbished and we would be delighted to show you one of these.

Nairobi
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed at the Southern Sun for four days on a business trip to Lusaka. Right from the doorman and reception staff, I received a friendly welcome. I was not happy with the room I received at first - it had a musty smell that made me uncomfortable, but I was quickly moved to another room when I asked the following day. This was clean and comfortably furnished with TV, lots of storage space, fridge and AC and I had a nice view of the garden and pool area. I received complementary water, fruit, bilton, nuts and chocolate daily, quite a delight. The hotel manager somehow manages to be everywhere at the same time, supervising staff and speaking to all guests.There was even a cocktail reception for guests, which I didn't manage to attend but which I thought was a very nice touch. Buffet meals were tasty with lots of variety, and the one room service meal I ordered came quickly with a follow-up call to find out if I was satisfied. With such good service, this is definitely a hotel that I will return to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SSRidgeway, General Manager at Southern Sun Ridgeway, responded to this review, March 29, 2013

Arusha, Tanzania
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stay there for one night. Although I found the rooms a bit rusty (lack of a better word), the service is exceptional.
The food is excellent. The eating areas are just tranquility at its very best. The hotel is located in a very central area.
I think the rooms could do with a major face lift especially the carpets. I also think the prices are a bit to high for the services provided.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
SSRidgeway, General Manager at Southern Sun Ridgeway, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, we appreciate your feedback very much. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind comments, which I will pass on to the team. We will refurbish the rooms this year and have already completed those in the Weaver's block overlooking the pond and terrace.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Arrived late in evening but received great welcome and service from front door to reception / check in and delivery of bags to room. Was particularly impressed by the consistent service throughout short stay - i.e. reception, help with bags to room, manager who genuinely manages by walking around, waiter who offered me coffee etc. Great breakfast - fresh and appealing. Overall stay - exceptional value for money. Would certainly be first choice for a stay in Lusaka.