“Best place in Lusaka”

Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Lusaka
Wayne, Pennsylvania
“Best place in Lusaka”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Eight Reedbuck is without a doubt my favorite place to stay in Lusaka. I have been staying on regular basis for the last 4 years (last time a month ago) and always enjoy my stay there. Every staff member is very friendly and helpful. Zambian hospitality at its best! The rooms are comfortable and decorated with originality and taste. I think I stayed in most of the rooms and not two are decorated the same as each room is named after one of Zambian tribe and decorared according to the tribe art. Great concept! It changes from the trypical hotel room that looks the same in the US, Europe, or Zambia! The hotel is located in a quiet area and close to the airport. The kind of boutique hotel that makes me feel welcome!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Attleborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at the Eight Reedbuck for the night when we flew into Zambia and for half a day waiting for our return flight home at the end of our trip. On both occasions the experience was good, we had the same suite on both occasions; large sitting room, bedroom with large very comfortable bed, dressing room with fridge and drinks making facilities, large bathroom and a small outside sitting area with Jacuzzi bath. And, I nearly forgot, a decent wifi internet connection. The food was surprisingly good: full English breakfast, some excellent fresh and tasty sandwiches and a very good steak/chicken dinner. The only negative was the service, about the slowest we have experienced anywhere, so don’t bother if you are short of time.
Overall a very acceptable place to spend time, we would happily return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We arrived Lusaka quite late at night and were whisked from the airport to the hotel and had a very early wake up call. The hotel had accidentally put our two teenage boys into a room with only one bed and you can IMAGINE their disdain....I asked for an extra blanket and pillow for them so one could sleep on the couch and the hotel manager gave us a room key so that he could sleep in his own bed. I had broken a nail and the manager brought me a manicure set and, lo and behold, the matching shade of red polish (you don't know how much I appreciated this.

The rooms were GREAT - very spacious, comfortable, clean....it is a boutique property and you feel like you are staying in someone's home. When we rose for breakfast, we had a wonderful made to order breakfast in their intimate dining area with a view of their very cool little courtyard. It reminded me of Santa Fe in some ways. The main/public area of the hotel is decorated with very interesting, original and beautiful artwork by various African artists. Although our stay was quite brief, the level of attention to us and the warm atmosphere made us feel quite comfortable after a very grueling day of travel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SafariSnob
Sunningwell, Oxford
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This is a funny old place...but we have returned for the second time this year so it can't be that bad! It's quite close to the aiport (about 25 minutes on a Monday morning at 6 a.m.) , so a good place for a stopover if you are catching the early BA flight to London.

The welcome was warm - and we were shown quickly to our room which was actually a series of rooms - comprising sitting room, bedroom, 'dining' room (with wardrobe, fridge and dining table?!) and bathroom (which led to the garden with our hot tub!). After a week in the bush we were interested to find out what was in the news, but after 25 minutes of trying to work out how to get more than one channel on the telly, gave up and went for help, at which time the right remote control was provided and sanity regained.

Our saviour on the remote was Mike, who checked us in, showed us to our room, and took and delivered our food order. He was a lovely chap and very helpful. But if you want a quick meal, order some sandwiches - our hot food took an hour to arrive so we were a bit past wanting it by 2145 when we had to get up at 5. We'd decided to eat in our room as the restaurant/bar was incredibly hot - no extra charge for serving the meal in our room.

This sounds more of a complaint than Reedbuck is due. It's not a chain, and is a bit eclectic, but it's reasonable value, in the right place...just a bit odd! Nothing would stop me staying again, and it's certainly a heap better sounding than the recent review of the Intercontinental!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Quoinbarn
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here for one night before our BA flight the next morning. The room that we had was huge and the air conditioning worked well. We had a 1st floor room and were disappointed that there was no view. We wondered why we had not been given a garden room as the hotel appeared to be less than half full. The bathroom was not really clean and I gave up trying to run a bath and enjoy the whirlpool as there was only 2 inches of water in the bath after 15 minutes. We had to request towels, shampoo and a hairdryer. We ate a reasonable meal in the restaurant but were the only diners. On a plus point, most of the staff were very friendly. We won't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed here on the night before my morning flight home to London.
I arrived after dark and left at 6.30 am so I didn't get to see the garden or the pool. I would have liked to do so as I understand it is very pleasant.
I thought my room, which had a sitting room section as well as a fidge and tea/coffee making facilities, was excellent. The bathroom was huge with a glamourous bath, although there was a slightly worrying hole in one corner and a trail of small balck ants.
The airconditioning worked very well and the bed was very comfortable.
Unfortunately, while the menu in the dinning room was ambitious, the chicken was dry and tough. I may just have had bad luck there as by the time I arrived at the hotel it was close to 8 pm.
I would stay at the hotel again, but I might eat elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
sao paolo
Reviewed November 28, 2011

If you want, or can afford, to spend a bit of money (ie $150+) on a hotel then this is a good choice. It's much smaller than the big fancy intercon type places but the rooms are MASSIVE. I had an Austin Powers-style suite for the first night followed by a kind of Bohemian Shaft experience the second night. The breakfast is good and the staff wonderfully attentive. You meet all sorts of top-end types too. Can you dig it? Yes I can.

Room Tip: They all seem pretty good to me