“A safe clean Kampala bargain!”
Review of Hotel Ruch

Hotel Ruch
Ranked #45 of 105 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed December 6, 2009

The Ruch is a small, comfortable property in central Kampala between the Sheraton and Imperial Royale, hotels. The rooms are small, but very clean and quiet, TV and free wireless are a plus, the place has a lovely garden and friendly staff. The price is a fraction of the nearby 5-stars, If you are looking for a fancy room, this is not for you, but you can't beat the place for safety and quiet, a standard room has a comfortabe bed and good service. And you are steps from downtown!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank onthroadagain-7

Reviewed December 3, 2009

this hotel is extremely basic and not worth the USD85 we paid for our room. The funishings were very old and the whole hotel was really run down. Room was fairly clean but there were cockroaches in the bathroom. Breakfast was very basic - bananas and eggs and some toast - great if you dont eat bananas or eggs. The only saving grace of this hotel was its friendly staff.

I know its Uganda but the hotel Boma is far far superior and not much more expensive.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drsgbaker
HotelRuch, Manager at Hotel Ruch, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2009

Thank you for your review of Hotel Ruch, but we have to disagree with you on several aspects.

Firstly, we are less than 2 years old - far from run down, most of our furniture is still in very good shape, and I can assure you that we take the utmost care in making sure that any furniture that even appears old is immediately removed from the rooms.

Secondly, we ensure that pest control takes place at least once if not twice a month to make sure that our guests enjoy the comforts of the Hotel without annoyance from little critters.

Thirdly, our Breakfast Menu is quite varied and includes more than fifteen items to choose from, and we are constantly revising it to provide revisiting guests with a healthy choice of fruits, varied eggs, toast, juice, tea, coffee, various types of sausages, and much more!

As mentioned on our website, we are a no-frills Hotel that prides itself on giving customers the best service, clean rooms, and a quiet environment in which to work or sleep.

As a result, we are much cheaper than our adjacent, much more expensive neighbours who charge on average over $180 per night and yet provide only marginally better service or rooms.

Reviewed November 5, 2008

This is my second stay at Hotel Ruch in the past 6 months. The rooms are good, the service is great and the staff are always smiling and polite. Breakfast is decent and the free internet is a bonus.

The gardens are in a better shape than the first time I was here. There was even an extravagant wedding reception in the gardens during my time there. [I was not invited, but I sneaked in nevertheless!]

I will be back for my third stay, and I hope this time there is a Bachelor's party, keep up the good work, Ruch!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2008

I was allocated to this hotel by conference organisers because it was close to the Serena. Hotel Ruch is over-priced, very noisy and the food was lousy. The larger rooms are OK and have air conditioning, but if you book the cheaper rooms you are booking to stay in a cupboard. Some staff were helpful, others weren't. Wireless access very patchy - the network went down for hours at a time, so not worth the $5 a day charge. Be warned that the hotel is adjoined by a large building site.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
HotelRuch, Manager at Hotel Ruch, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2008

Thank you for your review. We have taken advantage of your constructive criticism and have even made our hotel better value for money.

We have redesigned and rearranged our standard rooms to be more spacious, and lowered our rates to only $55 inclusive of taxes & Breakfast for the same! We have also revamped the breakfast catering & menu to provide a larger variety and a better service.

Please note that the building site next to us has been, still is and will notably be dormant for the foreseeable future. We pride ourselves on being one of the only Hotels where a quiet night's sleep is definately guaranteed ; a reason why most of our guests always come back.

And to top that off, wireless access is included as standard in the room rates ; so please feel free to visit Hotel Ruch again where we always strive to provide you the best value for money.

Reviewed April 12, 2008

Hello, I stayed here in february with my wife, we were travelling around eastern europe and going on safaris and such.

-The hotel was very dirty, the rooms were small and not inviting.
-The bahrooms had lots of bugs in it.
-The hotel seemed to be built ina hurry so the architecture is not comftorable.
-The facilities are laking
-Some of the staff were nice, but it wasn't like they went out of their way for you like in other hotels.

I would have stayed somewhere else for this price, there are lots of hotels in kampala for simular pricing.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2008

I am a professional businessman whose line of work involves a LOT of travelling. It would be hard to specify exactly how many hotels I have stayed in over the last 20 years, however the sum definately runs into 3 figures, and I dare say I know what to look for in good hotel service. The hotel which I give the distinction of providing the most delightful stay out of all my travels, is now most definately Hotel Ruch!

When the experience was litearlly first class, professional and comfortable from start to finish, where do I begin? :) From being greeted at the airport as soon as we arrived, through to booking ourselves in at the reception area, we were definately impressed by how friendly and helpful the staff were. I have been in many hotels around the world where it was hard to make arrangements due to the staff only having minimal understanding of English, however the staff at Ruch all spoke perfect English. I was also struck by how far the staff seemed to be willing to go out of their way to ensure their guests were well satisfied and more.

My only regret about the trip was that my work didn't allow me more time to spend in the luxeries the hotel provided! However, as the days business drew to an end each day I always felt rewarded and relaxed when back at the hotel. I am also happy to have made a few friends amongst the staff at Ruchi, and got along so well with them that we exchanged email addresses and are now pen pals :) I can't wait to go back!!

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anybody and everybody. If you are looking for a base from which to explore the delights of the surrounded area, this hotel is situated in an ideal location indeed, and will provide you with more than enough home comforts to relax and unwind when necessary. 5 starts out of 5 all round.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank JacknTom
Reviewed January 25, 2008

Stayed there one night on transit to Northern Uganda. The stairways are narrow and dark. My room was dusty, toilet dirty and I had to ask for toilet paper. The staff have no smiles and no clue about anything. There was no breakfast at 8am in the morning, they had run out of gas! Left without breakfast but insisted on having some money returned. For USD100 per night Hotel Ruch is a TOTAL rip off.

Stayed: December 2007