Metropole Hotel Kampala
$103
$86
$81
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsgolf courseclean hotelbusy roadwithin secondsbusiness triphotel servicepleasant stayshort stayrestaurant staffstayed here for nightshot wateragathakololochannelsafricagreenery
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Contrary to some of the other reviews, I found the hotel to be very good value. Food was excellent, staff always helpful and drivers were brilliant. Location was also very well positioned with some fine restaurants nearby. Certainly the hotel is not perfect but unless you are willing to pay at least twice the daily rate you will find issues with air con etc.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2014

The check in took 20 minutes when we reached at 4 pm. Not that we landed up too early or something. We had 2 rooms booked for us, 1 on single occupancy and the other double with twin beds but they gave us a single king size bed and when we protested they took out the table and put in an extra bed which made the room small, no table and no place to keep suitcases.

Check out was no different, it took the 3 ladies at the reception at least 15 minutes to check us out though we were the only ones at the reception.

The bathrooms are bare, poorly lit and showers give only warm water. No toiletries though the hotel is expensive. The towels though clean looking and smelling were not white and the floor mat was frayed at the edges. The room linen was good.

They did provide a coffee kit but there was no glass in the room. Come on, every hotel has a glass in the room!

The breakfast spread was good. The service in the restaurants is good.

The hotel charges 3K UGS for room service delivery.

The airport drop is $35 for one person but for 2 or more it becomes $35 per person! However, they did agree to $35 per trip (even for 2 pax) when we negotiated.

Try and get a room facing the golf course, the other side faced the road which is noisy and the blinds also do not shut properly.

The AC was old and noisy, the remote labels were in Japanese so it took me a while to figure it out.

Room Tip: Gold course facing, don't take road facing as it is too noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed one night. Got brilliant service, reception, restaurant, breakfastroom. Staff really helpful.
Also a very good brakfastbuffet.
And I do think the hotel was really good some years ago, but now the cracks are starting to show. Really dark bathroom, low waterpressure, noisy fan in bathroom. Even noisier AC. WiFi really slow and the elevator kept on sighing every time the doors closed.
So maintenance might be improved. A lot.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I used to choose Metropole for some trips a couple of years back - spacious rooms, central location and overall good value. This time, there seems to have been a change of management, or good reviews on Tripadvisor have made them lazy.
The rooms are still ok and it's clean and nice, in a very "modern tacky" way. But internet is significantly slower which is a big problem in my line of work. Ten different networks, all of them with crappy, unreliable connections.
The a/c in my room was the worst part of my experience, given I came here during the really hot weeks leading up to the rainy season. Their new card locks mean that as soon as you leave your room, not only all the lights but also all electricity and a/c switch off, which means you can't leave a camera or computer for charge and you'll come back to a boiling hot room which takes hours to cool down with an a/c that sounds like a chopper from Apocalypse Now while on full speed. I solved part of the problem to lock my key in my room on purpose so I got two of them, one to leave in the room, but the a/c seems to be set on motion sensor or timer – my room was just constantly boiling hot.
Do not ask to get a wake up call. The guy in the reception forgot to call me and finally did so about 30 minutes late. Not appreciated.
Breakfast is still ok though.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank erikesbjornsson
Reviewed December 23, 2013

A very good place with good Ambiance and great hospitality from staff. The rooms are really spacious. I really liked the food & being a vegetarian, it helped. Open air restaurant gives you a the majestic feel. The golf course in front of you adds to the appearance. from the hotel at walking distance you may find a lot of bars, Indian restaurants as well! the hotel has wi-fi which does work albeit slow on a lot of ocassions

Some of downsides are that the breakfast buffet has limited options, the air conditioning unit in my room was bad & what added to my woes was the kind of remote(one may have to call the support staff everytime, just check). I had the trouble of getting warm water as well. corridors are dimly lit

however I still would recommend for the laid back nature of the place & it helps unwind

Room Tip: rooms facing the golf course.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business