WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #28 of 93 Hotels in Kampala
MUMBAI
“Average hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

The hotel is average nothing great, service is ok,Rooms on road side are bit noisy,Not very neat and clean,
Plan transportation ,hotel taxis are expensive.Breakfast buffet is average.
Bit expensive for what they charge.

Room Tip: Take rooms on internal side
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
Kigali, Rwanda
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

What a disaster, will make a short review as still have had no feedback from the hotel nor have they apologises or even been able to tell us the balance of what to pay.

Let me clarify, we requested for 16 rooms and one conference room for a half day meeting on 27th and a half day meeting on 28th march.

I confirmed our booking and made the payment as was invoiced.

However on arrival at the hotel I am told guests arriving from across east Africa arrived at metropole and were informed there was no room for them,,,,, one such guest, was moved in the middle of the night to golf course hotel who then told him they where full ! Later they gave him a suite,,,,,, only for him to be awoken at 2 am by other guests unknown to him joining to sleep in the same suite . Waking him up as lights where turned on in his room as the switch was on the outside….

I was told that there was no space for us at metrople for accommodation on the arrival to my meeting which is outrageous !! Most of the team I was told would sleep at their sister hotel golf course.

We went ahead with our conference in a very tight room with no curtains thus making it impossible to see the projector screen.

We asked for the room to be darkened and another table added so we could actually fit and work,,,,, as this was complicated, we moved to the room next door and disrupted our meeting to have all move and re set up so we could see the screen on the wall.

In the evening we had a bus that took some to metropole hotel to sleep and proceeded to golf hotel to leave the rest of the group to check in. Am then told 20 minutes later they stranded at golfcourse hotel as that is not where they were booked but golf course apartments !

We get the bus to turn around and pick them up again and move them !

On the 27th I had confirmed a number of times of how the team would be picked latest at 7 am from hotel and taken to metropole for breakfast so we can start our meeting at 8 am prompt.

At 7 20 am, I am called to be informed no one has come to pick them up ! I call the hotel and they say pick up had just arrived ? For me 7 is 7,,,,, not 7 20.

On top of that I find out they send one taxi ! what is this ? they are 10 people ! how will they possibly fit. They where told that half of them wait until the car drops half the team and returns, for this I have no words.

We start our meeting delayed as the team need to eat breakfast.

The conference room is ready, darkened and extra table there as we had requested.

We start our meeting and within half an hour cant hear each other cause the conference room next door has started a meeting with a public address system ! with only a glass door in between . We cannot work nor hear each other in our room.

I ask for this to be turned off immediately and am informed its not possible.

At tea break we get moved to another board room 3rd room by now,which is tiny , does not fit tables and we take it as we have to be able to hear each other as this is the last of our half day meeting before our team flies back to their respective countries.

This has been the worst conference set up I have ever experienced. We have used metropole a number of times before and I have never seen anything like it.

I will say the waitress staff, break tea and lunches have been excellent. The rest of communication , leadership, taking charge of conference and communication the worst !

As i write this for two days i have called metropole for a response to my written complaint and have had no answer, today at 10 am i called to speak to a manager and was told they are all busy and no one can attend to me,,,, i should wait for them to call me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kajsa H

Travelers are raving about these Kampala hotels

Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed a total of 6 weeks in December and January in different rooms. Some rooms are better than others e.g. working or non working ACs, working or not working remote controls (some with chinese inscriptions), none insects or a few cockroaches or many mini-ants.

Staff try to do their best and are very helpful.

Breakfast? I had to leave the hotel every day at 7 and my wife took breakfast at 8:30. Dont come to early or too late because there might be no coffee or no marmelade or no .... Still wonder why they put textile napkins on the tables only at about 7:30, before you may be lucky and there might be paper ones, or not.

Over all, the value is ok for the price if you could get one of the good rooms. You are allowed to use the swimming pool of the Golf Course Hotel that is in walking distance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Centurion, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed at the Metropole several times when doing business in the Garden City area (so that I could walk 15 minutes to the office rather than spend 30-45 in Kampala’s chronic traffic gridlock). So it was a convenient location for me; your reaction will depend on where you have to go in the city.

This is a decent, mid-range Kampala Hotel. Room are comfortable, air conditioning works (although you have to figure out the remote with Chinese characters). The public areas are quite nice. Wifi was spotty; I sometimes had to go to the lobby to connect. There are two restaurants in the hotel, but neither impresses. Apparently the Thai restaurant used to be quite popular among Kampala expats, but it has definitely gone downhill. Don’t even bother. The other restaurant (with outdoor seating) serves food that you can eat, which is the best I can say about it. (Rather take a “boda boda” motorcycle taxi to one of a couple of very good nearby restaurants, such as the Mediterraneo) Service is, to be charitable, leisurely - but at least friendly. My airport transfer one early morning was quite late; I thought I might be stranded until the driver finally arrived. However, compared to other hotels I’ve tried in Kampala, this is not bad, and prices are reasonable. I would stay here again if working in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Metropole Hotel is a very clean, presentable and comfortable facility for the mid range budget traveller. Their food is generally good, staff are warm, welcoming and helpful. The hotel is located just next door to Kampala golf course/club. For the golf lover, this is the perfect affordable and yet decent place for your stay. It is also just a walkable distance from the garden city & Oasis shopping malls with lots of services and entertainment like the Cineplex for movie freaks, Simba Casino, food courts and banks. Good health facilities like the Surgery & Kololo Hospital are close by just in case. I would not blame them much for their slow internet becuse this largely depends on the service providers in this region, they are a big let down to their subscribbers. Some, but not all their staff cause the slow service occasionally.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Patrick O
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here a couple of nights when visiting our Kampala office colleagues.
+ The bed was fine.
+ had internet.
+ staff was nice
+ breakfast was good
+ thai restaurant had good food

- The toilet was very very cramped and had a very unusable design. The water from shower would splatter all over the toilet, toilet paper placement was awkward.
- they only had wired internet in the room, wifi in the lobby. Overall, the internet was slow.
- they used to take away every single piece of towels when we go to breakfast, and had to call them to get anything back before their usual time (which was hours later).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank SuparnaPune
Mombasa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Nice Room,spacious,Internet available though slow,good breakfast,excellent service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business