“Perfectly pleasant hotel, no issues”

Metropole Hotel Kampala
Ranked #30 of 105 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed in the Metropole for 2 nights at the beginning of August 2011 on a business trip. I had a great stay, the room was lovely, everything worked, including the flat screen TV and air conditioning (although I did not use either). The bathroom had a powerful hot shower with detachable shower head (neither of which I could say for the Kabira Country Club in which I stayed the previous week), and nice toiletries. Clean and welcoming. Also has room service - and bizarrely a swimming pool which is a 15 minute walk away (clearly not actually belonging to the hotel). There is also free, good quality high speed internet that worked! (again this was not the case in Uganda hotels I'd stayed in prior to this).

Small gripes - First, my room (207 or something) was angled in a way that it was overlooking the carpark and part of the 1st floor restaurant, I didn't realise the significance of this until I came out of the shower in only a towel, and realised I could be seen by other guests. I therefore recommend you use the blinds on the floor-length windows if you want to skip around naked.
Second was the bathroom itself, although clean, I could see in the corners etc that a paint job was long overdue and some general finishing was in order, which I'd recommend that the management make a priority for the coming season.

Room Tip: rooms in the early 200s appear to overlook the car park and/or the 1st floor restaurant - not the mo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Shayee

Reviewed August 30, 2011

I have stayed at the Metropole a 3 times for business.
The first time i realised that on weekends there is a "church" in the basement of the Hotel. On both Sat & Sunday the live music gospel choir started blaring from 8am and seemed to go all day - it; really isn't good gospel but terrible (who decided to put a church in a hotel??)
Then on the second visit I found the girls at the front desk to be very difficult - although i 'WAS" a repeat visitor I was 1.5 hours late to check out and they were trying to charge me a whole extra night. Which i had to argue quite strongly until they let me off.
Then the 3rd time I stayed (with a group) I had a Kampala colleague visit me at 8am on a Sat morning - and we were working on a presentation in my room - and the reception girls called me and commenced giving me some kind of moral lecture about "male callers"and wanted me to pay for a double room!!
When I was trying to explain that it was a colleague and we were doing work - they still wouldn't believe me!!
I was disgusted as to why i needed to justify this.
It was embarrassing and outrageous!!
After arguing for 20 minutes I couldn't be bothered justifying anymore so paid the extra $20 for the "double" and advised that i would NEVER stay there again - they didn't seem to care.
BUT I will NEVER stay at the Metropole again EVER and would never recommend it to anyone again.

2  Thank KayteWebb
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I had organized a hotel pick up from the Airport since I was arriving very late at night. My Driver was fantastic and on-time. During my entire stay of a week all the staff called me by my name which was really nice. The room was very clean, modern with a balcony overlooking the Golf Course, nice laptop, flat TV and a modern bathroom. Everything in the room worked great and I had no problems with the internet. The entire staff at hotel went out of their way to be helpful. The food at the downstairs restaurant was delicious, they have a Thai menu. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: business rooms are nicer
3  Thank Lyah78
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed for nine nights in this hotel.

It has three restrarunts but with slow service during week ends. Breakfast is same most of the days.

It's pity there is no spa or a pool.

The staff is quite helpful. Rooms are big, enought and basic furniture. Toilet with hot water but without lockable door.

Overall good for short stay.

2  Thank Prasadrasal
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Hotel looks well finished - sleek and stylish by Kampala standards. But beware - plumbing may not work, internet may not work in the rooms, staff (while very friendly) may not be very helpful. It's an ok place to stay but really only worth half of what you pay for the room. Positive aspects - free internet (in communal areas), small but good gym, good breakfast. Lots of development going on in that part of the city (June 2011), so there is a lot of noise from building works and from the main road.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank RoughRoading
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My husband and I recently spent 13 days here with our 17 month old son. The Metropole staff was wonderful! Never have we experienced such genuine kindness and concern from hotel employees. Everyone from our airport driver to the front desk to housekeeping to the doorman to room service was exceptional. No request was too great or too small for them. By the time we left, they all felt like family. Our room was very spacious and was cleaned thoroughly every day. We had a king size bed with down comforter, a crib for our son (no charge), a desk and chair, another chair and small round table, a flat screen tv, a mini fridge, a coffee pot with tea and coffee, 2 complimentary bottles of water daily, an in-room safe, and a large closet. Most importantly, the room had a wonderful air-conditioner! However, for the cooler nights we did have the option of opening the sliding glass door onto the balcony and just letting the breeze in through the screen door. The bathroom had a stand up shower (no tub), hairdryer, and the standard amenities. The hotel has 3 restaurants (Thai, Barbeque, and Continental) that are all very reasonably priced. Breakfast was included in our room price. Each morning the buffet consisted of pancakes, French toast, pork and beef sausage, bacon, baked beans, french fries, croissants, toast, an array of fresh fruit, dry cereals, yogurt, omlets, and passion fruit juice/tea/coffee. They also rotated certain items on the buffet including chicken wings, tilapia, mushrooms, and fried plantains. Of course, rates may change at any time, but while we were there in June, the use of the hotel car service (you may drive the car or elect to have a driver) was $30 (plus fuel) for the entire day. Our room was on the back side of the hotel away from the main highway and was very quiet (only on Saturday night could we hear the distant thumping of a disco somewhere). The hotel has a business center open until 10:00 p.m. (I believe) each day and free wi-fi in the lobby. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Kampala or the surrounding area. We could not have asked for anything better and will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main highway
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We are from Ireland but for a few years we're living about 2 hours north of Kampala. We like to escape to Kampala for one weekend every month.
We choose this Hotel as it's location was good. I asked for their best rate and they changed the price from $135/night to $125. The welcome was good, staff friendly, hotel generally clean.
On entering our room we were shocked at the absence of a mosquito net. This is Africa - thousands die every year from Malaria and this Hotel has no Mosquito nets!
We requested a net. The bell boy said room 302 has a net, he would try and get it. He was unsuccessfull. They offered to spray the room in the evening, which was helpful I suppose. "We don't get mosquito's here" was the comment of the staff member.
The next morning both my wife and I woke with bites of some sort. Not sure if they were from Mozzies but a net probably would have prevented them!
Would we come back? Yes, if mozzie nets were fitted in every room.
This hotel is another example of how Hotels in Uganda are nearly very good. They almost get it right. But, this is a basic necessity in Africa - Mosquito nets are kind of important!

Room Tip: Room at front, not ground floor.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple