“Italian”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2012

A small restaurant set up in an old colonial house so good atmosphere. The owners are nice and the food okay but nothing really special.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Try the gorgonzola pizza. You'll never want anything else.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

My qualifications are that I have eaten in some of the best italian restaurants in 72 countries, have advised restaurants on italian cuisine and known Mamba Point for 11 years. I only eat there whenever I visit Uganda, so much so that some thought at one time that I owned the place. Indeed, I have stolen many of the dishes served there for other restaurants. The old owners, Guido and Fiona, who have been personal friends all that time have left for new and hopefully successful ventures, but as yet the quality of the restaurant has not faltered.
Bene who was a great cook is now general manager but remembers when we used to do tastings with Guido. She still advises the kitchen. Irene is still a good cook and faithful to Guido's exacting standards. Francis is still my favourite head waiter and still remembers my favourites, that I am left handed when serving my expresso and that I always finish a meal with a fernet branca.
Yes the personalities of Guido and Fiona are a loss to me as well as other patrons, but don't let that get in the way of your taste buds.
Try the peasant dishes - the pasta e fagiola, the spegatini di pollo allo speido and other more exotics including the nile perch with pernod and many more. It's not on the menu but ask for Irene to make you the classic spaghetti puttenesca - the best I have eaten.
Now I also stay at the small guesthouse - at present only 10 rooms but being expanded. A haven of peace and personal friendly service. Good facilities - especially the wifi and so much better than impersonal 5 star hotels for permanent travellers like me.
If you want to see Guido and Fiona just take a trip round the corner to the Mamba Point Pizzeria that they still own. Its pizzas, salads and lunchtime paninis still show their fantastic quality.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

There are two Mamba Points, which are very different food and locations, so be warned! The pizzeria (and guesthouse) are on Lumumba Avenue, while the restaurant is on Akii Bua Road.

The main restaurant on Akii Bua Road serves Italian food. It's one of the more expensive places in town, and I tend to only go there when someone else is paying or it's a special occasion. But the food and environment are very nice, and have a number of vegetarian options.

The pizzeria is my favorite place for pizza in town. The thin, crispy crust with simple toppings is the best in Kampala. They also deliver to nearby locations (thus, my regular weekly order for a large Three Cheese and green salad to last me 2-3 nights of dinner when I get home after working late at the office).

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Food is ok, pretty bland, and could do with a bit of flair. Service is excellent.