All reviewsthe food is greathamidshuttersdarknessugandadeskac
Reviewed December 29, 2017 via mobile

The restaurant food is fantastic. The rooms are lovely, albeit colonial in style. This means the decor isn’t modern and is very tasteful. Some reviews have commented on the size of rooms. I found my room to be fine but I wasn’t sharing it with another person.

The broader point to take into consideration is that, due to the collocation of the restaurant and the style of the building, that the rooms can be noisy. I found this manageable but I was in Kampala during the week and decamped to my room after 10 o’clock. The bathroom and the bed were very comfortable and no found fault could be found.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2017

When you first arrive at Villa Kololo the decor and ambience hits you straight away; it's a chilled and yet stylish place, with lots of eclectic antique-style furniture and artwork throughout. The first impression was definitely wow! The adjoining restaurant was busy (we arrived at lunchtime), which added to the vibe, and I was looking forward to checking in for a few days. The rooms however aren't really conducive to staying more than a night or two; they are quite small - or rather they are quite "full", with little room to swing the proverbial. They are also extremely dark. My room had shutters which were continually closed despite my opening them every time I went into the room. And you can't really be in the room without every electric light being on... Natural light pretty much non-existent. The next problem, as I discovered every night when I went to bed, was the noise. There are multiple bars in the immediate vicinity and they all seem to compete with each other to be heard over the next! This means that it really does feel as though your bed is in the middle of a nightclub...not great if you have to get up for work the next day! Under different circumstances I probably would have just gotten out of bed and joined the party...so it really does depend what type of trip you're on!

On the up side - the staff and wonderfully and so very accommodating. The food is great. The overall atmosphere is superb - and certainly beats staying in a copy&paste business hotel... I'm really torn for my next visit!

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2017

Location is great. The restaurant is great. All staff were charming but…. the noise at night was something else. Our last night in Uganda so we thought we'd book a comfortable hotel after 14 nights on safari. To be honest the room was very disappointing - it seemed small and dark. The darkness came from the fact that the windows and curtains had to be kept shut because the room was on the ground floor and overlooked the washing lines (laden with sheets) and the carpark of an adjacent travellers' hostel. It felt very claustrophobic - in fact the much cheaper mid range places we'd stayed in had much more space and superior rooms. However, it's the capital city and space is of a premium. We ate at the restaurant which was good and service was very attententive and cheerful - very good ambience.
The real disappointment was the It was unbelievable. The youngsters at the hostel were clearly celebrating but it seemed as though they were actually in our room. We could hear every word they said! At 12.30am, cars and bikes turned up and the revellers moved on. As we'd predicted, they returned in high spirits at 3.45 am and once again - they may as well have been in the room - everything they said could be heard. After three hours of relative peace, people returned to their rooms in the hotel - they stopped outside to discuss their plans for the following day and again, it was amplified into the room! I can only say that to charge these prices the hotel should invest in some form of soundproofing. Words cannot really describe how noisy the room was - we barely slept at all. It may have been a totally different experience in upstairs rooms - they seemed to overlook the restaurant which was quiet from 10 pm. If you stay here, do not accept room no. 4!

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2017 via mobile

As a first time visitor to Uganda I could not have asked for a better place in Kampala to stay. Located in convenient Kololo and connected to Kampala's top restaurant, Mediterrano, the place has a fabulous vibe due to its beautiful open layout, lush and fragrant flowering trees, vintage decor and thoughtfully placed candle lit lanterns. Evening host, Abi, is stylish and professional. He was never too busy managing the dining aspect to stop, greet hotel guests by name and inquire about our day. Hamid, the day manager is equally as courteous and attentive. The rooms are really nicely furnished with early 1900's antiques, and modern conveniences of AC, television and wifi. There is also a sitting room for guests. Villa Kololo proved to be a lovely sanctuary sealed away from the hustle and bustle of the city and staffed with friendly attentive professionals who provided warm personal greetings and send offs each day. Highly recommend!!

Stayed: July 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed March 18, 2017

Liked: Good, central location, good Italian restaurant, rather comfortable beds, nice staff.
Didn't like: Small dark rooms, boring breakfast options. Zero sound insulation with tropical rain pounding on a tin roof and the open-air terrace of a backpacker hostel right below your window. Try to sleep on a Friday night!

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled on business