Namirembe Guest House
$131
$103
Jumia Travel
$56
All reviewshill overlookingmission teamshower curtainmission tripsmall balconyexcellent locationhot watermosquito netlaundry servicewifiugandafacilitiescerealensuitesecurity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Namirembe was an ideal choice for my two nights stay prior to my return to the UK. My room was simple, with an small en suite bathroom with copious hot water. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. I found the staff friendly and helpful. As there was no lift the young man on the desk insisted on carrying my case to my room and also telephoning for a taxi when I wished to travel to meet a friend. I also enjoyed the view and easy access to the cathedral.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Telopea
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I visit Uganda frequently on missions to the the orphans and street children. I stayed at the Namirembe Guest House during my last three visits. Do I want luxurious comfort? No. I want a simple room with the basic amenities. Do I want good food? Yes. I always get it at Namirembe. Do I want to experience the ultimate Ugandan hospitality? Certainly! I find it there - always. Do I want comfort, good food and courteous staff who make me feel welcome and very special without paying a fortune? Of course; that's why I stay at the Namirembe Guest House. (Some of us who visit these places behave as though we live in Buckingham Palace.) Dr. Raymond G. Wilson

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Before going to Bwindi Impenetrable Forrest to see the Mountain Gorillas, we stayed to nights at Namirembe. We got there about eight in the evening and after we had checked in, we went down to the restaurant to have dinner. It tasted alright, but the day after we woke up at four in the morning and had dirraea and was throwing up all this stopped about 48 hours later, we both had no doubt that it was the chicken, that caused the food poison. But although we had a bad experience at Namirembe does not mean that other will. The place is alright for just a short stay before heading to some of Ugandas highlights.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CamillaMichael
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Not overly impressed.

Rooms very dirty, superficially cleaned. Reasonably size, beds no more or less comfortable than anywhere else in Uganda (which doesn't say much). Mossie nets torn and useless. Bathroom suffers from very poor finishing and poor water pressure. Appalling shower. The problem of finishing places off seems to be endemic in Uganda - everywhere we stayed, tiling was falling off and only partly finished, poor rendering and unfinished plastering.

I think the worst thing about this place is the staff attitude. Everything seems to be too much trouble for them. There is a "fresh coffee and juice bar" in the middle that never has fresh coffee and I don't think it's ever seen any fresh juice! On one occasion, with only one other person in the bar, I asked politely for some coffee. Waitress went back behind her counter, sat down and did nothing for 20 minutes. Took me asking twice before anything was done, and then it was only Nescafe spooned into hot water. Appalling.

Breakfast and lunch food is acceptable, but nothing great.

Business centre is erratic at best, with a very slow connection - but again, that's common across Uganda.

We hired a minibus and driver through here for our group, who was great. Moses was a great and safe driver, friendly and very helpful. Ask for him by name!

Nice view over Kampala is about all I can say. As a place to stop on the way through to somewhere it's ok, but don't come for more than a day. They claim it's the hotel with a million dollar view - hmnm, probably worth about $10 - Kampala's not much to look at!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Phil K
Reviewed August 11, 2007

This is an excellent guest house--wonderful location on the top of one of the hills of Kampala. Amazing view and beautiful gardens. The staff is always willing to help in any way, are extremely gracious and honest. We spent a month here last summer and a month this year, both times with a group of teenagers. The facilties are clean and food is good. You can always ask for anything you need and if it is possible they will meet your need. Price is excellent. You can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank travelready37