“Namirembe”

Namirembe Guest House
Ranked #11 of 213 Kampala B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 6, 2013

A pleasant stay in a beautiful setting .We had a lovely room with a balcony overlooking Kampala .
Shower ,and facilities better than when I stayed 5 years ago .Staff polite and helpful as always ,food good ,barbecue .lovely .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank alirowe

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed in a twin room in the new section. It was quite spacious and clean, adequately comfortable and otherwise very basic. The food in the restaurant was fair. The staff was friendly and gracious and went the extra mile to be accommodating. We had to leave at 5 a.m. for the airport and they had packed a breakfast for us to take away long before the dining room was open. They also arranged a ride for us to the airport at that hour at the last minute when our own ride fell through.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Easy reservation and professional front desk service. Good food and service at on site restaurant. Small convenient gift shop for souvenir purchases. Helpful with all requests during stay. Fantastic view and sounds of Kampala.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Pineneedle2160
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was a single traveller and I stayed in the new section. It was a very basic, bare bones, white walls, but it had a good bed and a shower, which was all I needed. It was def good value for the money.
The guest house is owned/run by a church,so they don't serve alcohol, and a drink would have been nice with dinner.
Beautiful view at night, it located up on a hill.
No complaints, nice and friendly service, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I used to stay here regularly till about two years ago - when I just got fed up of the place which was ageing ungraciously. It wasn't value for money. I knew there had been a big refurbishment and so I thought I'd give it another chance. REALLY glad I did. Namirembe Guest House is very near the centre of Kampala and yet far enough out to be safe if there's any political problems. The NEW rooms in the main block that has been refurbished are clean, modern, spacious and large. At $70 a night including breakfast they are way cheaper than their hotel equivalents - and better.

Room Tip: DEFINITELY ask for one of the refurbished rooms. More expensive but worth it. And if you want the ev...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank JBPKabale
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here for a week while exploring Kampala with some locals. Namirembe had been recommended to me by a friend who visits Kampala often, and he made a great call.

The rooms are pretty spartan, but adequate to the job of sleeping our family of 5. My guess is lots of church groups pass through here, and our time was no exception---some nights were blissfully peaceful, some had teenagers singing into the wee hours.

Although we ate out or with friends most of our stay, we did find the food at the guest house in general to be quite good. Since Ugandan pineapples are the best in the world, and every meal included at least some, they perhaps had an unfair advantage.

What really set Namirembe apart was the welcoming atmosphere. I've only stayed in 2 or 3 hotels in the world where we felt like we left friends behind when we departed. This is one of those places. The laundry, the cleaning staff, the kitchen and wait staff, all were great folks.

Our next trip to Kampala will likely see us staying with friends, but if they're not available, we will definitely be staying at Namirembe again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2013

A basic and friendly guest house with a beautiful view over Kampala. It is very easy to get around town from here. It can get a little noisy because of the open spaces above the doors (pretty common in Uganda), so I tended to wake up as early as the first guests started their days. But nonetheless I felt comfortable enough in my room. Bathroom facilities basic but working & I was happy with the mosquito net above my bed, even though I haven't seen one bug in my room (it was November).

Most staff members were really nice and helpful. I enjoyed the Ugandan lunch/dinner and breakfast was simple but good enough. I was able to get quite some work done, in the restaurant (wifi & nice gospel music!), the juice bar, the business center and in my room (desk). A walk up to the church is definitely a must, even if you're an atheist like me.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business