“Born Again - a dramatic improvement in Namirembe”

Namirembe Guest House
Ranked #16 of 189 Kampala B&B and Inns
Kabale
“Born Again - a dramatic improvement in Namirembe”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I used to stay here regularly till about two years ago - when I just got fed up of the place which was ageing ungraciously. It wasn't value for money. I knew there had been a big refurbishment and so I thought I'd give it another chance. REALLY glad I did. Namirembe Guest House is very near the centre of Kampala and yet far enough out to be safe if there's any political problems. The NEW rooms in the main block that has been refurbished are clean, modern, spacious and large. At $70 a night including breakfast they are way cheaper than their hotel equivalents - and better.

Room Tip: DEFINITELY ask for one of the refurbished rooms. More expensive but worth it. And if you want the ev...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank JBPKabale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here for a week while exploring Kampala with some locals. Namirembe had been recommended to me by a friend who visits Kampala often, and he made a great call.

The rooms are pretty spartan, but adequate to the job of sleeping our family of 5. My guess is lots of church groups pass through here, and our time was no exception---some nights were blissfully peaceful, some had teenagers singing into the wee hours.

Although we ate out or with friends most of our stay, we did find the food at the guest house in general to be quite good. Since Ugandan pineapples are the best in the world, and every meal included at least some, they perhaps had an unfair advantage.

What really set Namirembe apart was the welcoming atmosphere. I've only stayed in 2 or 3 hotels in the world where we felt like we left friends behind when we departed. This is one of those places. The laundry, the cleaning staff, the kitchen and wait staff, all were great folks.

Our next trip to Kampala will likely see us staying with friends, but if they're not available, we will definitely be staying at Namirembe again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 4, 2013

A basic and friendly guest house with a beautiful view over Kampala. It is very easy to get around town from here. It can get a little noisy because of the open spaces above the doors (pretty common in Uganda), so I tended to wake up as early as the first guests started their days. But nonetheless I felt comfortable enough in my room. Bathroom facilities basic but working & I was happy with the mosquito net above my bed, even though I haven't seen one bug in my room (it was November).

Most staff members were really nice and helpful. I enjoyed the Ugandan lunch/dinner and breakfast was simple but good enough. I was able to get quite some work done, in the restaurant (wifi & nice gospel music!), the juice bar, the business center and in my room (desk). A walk up to the church is definitely a must, even if you're an atheist like me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Papeete, Tahiti
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I often wonder why people from rich countries seek luxury when they travel. They may just as well stay at home. A Sheraton in Kampala is the same as a Sheraton in Stockholm. The Namirembe Guest House, in contrast, is fairly basic but rich in character and hospitality. It has pleasant rooms with working showers, is very clean and cheap and the mosquito netting has not been chewed away by rats. There are good meals of local food for the cost of a tea and doughnut in London, internet access (slow), heartwarmingly polite and gentle staff and an expansive view across the city. I spent four nights here, had three meals a day (including a guest on a number of occasions) and daily internet access and my bill was £140! The guest house is conveniently situated not far from the centre of town if you need that. There are a few shops and an a.t.m. about 5-10 minutes walk away. For the record I did not encounter a single mosquito (it is high and breezy) even after heavy rain, though there are mosquito nets in the rooms, anyway. A real, affordable delight.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank fetia-tahiti
Guernsey
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We needed some accommodation for a one night stop-over while passing through Kampala. The Namirembe Guest House is a warm and friendly Christian establishment situated on the outer slopes of Namirembe hill, and commands a magnificent and beloved view of Kampala city. This is a Million Dollar view.
The rooms are basic and clean, but as is common in Uganda, it cannot be called luxurious. The food in the restaurant was good, all the more enjoyable becuase of thje night-time view of kampala, even though it was pouring with rain (it rained all night)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank manfromguernsey
Albany, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This guest house is well located being only a short Budda Budda ( motorbike taxi) ride from the city center. The view is great but we found the rooms musty and a bit noisy as the fly wire over the doors, for ventilation, was to the hallway. The breakfast was not that great and wireless did work at the cafe , which did have a great view. It was a long drive from the airport but our driver was there on time to get us, which was welcoming. Hopefully the new accomodation will be a bit better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stevally
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Bringing a group to visit Church links in Uganda, I was keen to stay in this Guesthouse to support the local Church. It was a big surprise to find that despite having booked several months previously and reconfirmed the booking several times, the rooms had been double-booked and we had to rearrange our rooming requirements on arrival. Rooms were more simple and basic than I had expected, but they were ok and reasonably keen. The staff were friendly and food was average on one evening and excellent the next. The staff were certainly trying to please, but the building works on the new accommodation block were proving a major inconvenience to staff and guests. Given the tremendous potential and excellent location, this place really should be better than it is. I so hope that the new accommodation rooms are well furnished when completed, and the current rooms definitely need some refurbishment too. This is a peaceful place to stay and could be a real gem in Kampala. It really ought to be better. I wish the management and staff well, and hope that the new building work is completed to everyone's satisfaction, but will want to check the place out before committing to staying again. Currently there are better quality and cheaper options in Kampala, and I would probably choose Entebbe over Kampala as a first or last night in Uganda. However I will keep my eye on this place, and hope that within a couple of years, the reviews are offering the praise the location and setting deserves!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends