“Terrible”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kampala
Hotel Le Bougainviller
Ranked #28 of 97 Hotels in Kampala
Maputo, Mozambique
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

I was in this hotel for several days. It was terrible... Staff very rude and not supportive although the owner is very nice. I left because of the staff. It is a beautiful place but with the front guys...it is not possible to stay.

Room Tip: Pretty but staf do not help the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Maria S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Yes, we are French, we chose le Bougainviller and we were not disappointed. French village decor perfectly recreated - as much as it can be in the middle of Africa! We met the French owner early at breakfast, an accomplished entrepreneur, always striving for the best for his hotel. The restaurant is marvelous, the food of course, authentic and attention to detail in every bit of decoration. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and well decorated. Also the location is a bit off the centre, not too far on the road back from Jinga. A definite recommendation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveloliv D
Oakland, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Maybe you'll enjoy your stay if it's short and you're lucky, but I encourage potential guests to sift through a few more reviews before choosing this over other Kampala options to see how some have described the rude, selfish, greedy, and abusive hotel owner you're supporting by staying here. Like several others that have left similar reviews, I also will never, ever support or set foot into this venue again. Negative reviews aren't typical for me, and I am quite an easy traveler to please and willing to have a lot of patience and put up with occasional discomforts with flexibility and a smile, but I will not endure being mistreated or watching others be mistreated or exploited.

I stayed for one month in one of the "apartments" during a long business trip and wish I had been able to move but couldn't in the middle of my trip. My "apartment" (more like a 2 floor loft studio) was incredibly dark, but if I didn't keep the thick drapes closed, then everyone in the compound could see into my room through the patio doors. Ants and cockroaches were everywhere. When I sat on my couch/day bed I got weird tiny, itchy bites, so I stopped being able to sit on it. Tiny white bugs infested my bags and I paid hotel staff to help me have them cleaned and then I bought large, black garbage bags to seal them. Staff constantly and indiscriminately sprays Raid because of the daily ant incursion in and around the kitchen and bed areas, which leaves residue very toxic to humans. Because of the bugs and the Raid, I wasn't really able to use the "kitchen" to cook for myself. There was no shower curtain, so sitting "showers" only. I could barely see in the bathroom. The linens were scratchy and low quality. There was no ventilation in the room. And cleaning staff would gather and talk so loudly before 7am outside my bathroom window near the cleaning area, waking me up and frustrating me many mornings. Requests from the manager helped only temporarily. The main problem is that the walls are extremely thin (everything was made with the cheapest materials possible-- the beauty is cosmetic but not in quality. And there is no appropriate space for staff to gather-- it shouldn't be outside a client's room's window.

Breakfast was fine, but it could take forever. Major construction began during my stay steps from my room, which we were not warned about, removing the only place to sit and work or have conversations on that side of the hotel. When I moved with someone I was meeting with to the other side of the hotel to a meeting room (designed like a wine cellar) under the restaurant (the only semi-private place in the whole complex left to talk), I was accused by the owner of using a paid meeting space and he asked me to pay a rental fee. Even though I stayed for a month and put up with his un-announced construction. When I did rent the space for a half-day meeting and we ran an hour and a half late into the the early evening, the owner came down to extremely-rudely (in front of my business guests) chastise me for using his meeting space over our time, claiming that we were blocking his precious wine cellar for potential wine bar guests that would be coming any time (I never once saw anyone ever go there and there isn't service down there, so this couldn't possibly be the reason). AND, I had ordered a glass of wine for each of my guests at the end of the meeting and WE were his only customers. Nonetheless, he wanted me to pay him more and was completely inflexible, even though I was staying for a month at his hotel and had brought me lots of business to his restaurant. All this hassle over $25. When I got my bill (and only noticed later after getting home), they had double charged me for meals and drinks for lunch that day for my guests. When I emailed them to correct the mistake, they refused.

The food in the restaurant was fine, but the restaurant refused me service at 8:30 or 9 a couple times for dinner b/c they didn't have any other customers so they closed early. Communication was horrible. Half the time if I asked for room service (i.e. to eat in my room), they would tell me that they don't do that if they didn't feel like it and wouldn't do it. Half the time they would. Staff seemed like they resented having to serve people in the restaurant and take your order and/or accommodate anything.

Now, here is the important catch about the bad service and inappropriate behavior of staff at the hotel and particularly the restaurant. I understand, because if I were treated like they are, I would resent every day at work too. I don't know what they are paid, but all my interactions with the most greedy, penny-pinching man I've ever met as the owner tell me that I bet it's completely minimal and that he cheats them of wages. He yells at them, has no respect for them, and treats them horribly. There is a ambiance of fear, if you're aware enough to pick up on it (or if you stay as long as I did). And staff will talk about it if you sit down person to person and they open up (I didn't go looking for these conversations, but when you stay at a place long enough, you get to know people). All the staff have disdain and fear for the hotel owner who has not an ounce of goodwill or integrity that I can see and is willing to cheat customers and staff alike for a dollar. And is so arrogant that he doesn't care a bit what his customers like me think.

It's a shame. And shameful. There are many other options similarly priced in Kampala that I would recommend any day for a similar price, for example: Mamba Point Guesthouse and Humura, which are both nicer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Stone S

Travelers are raving about these Kampala hotels

LelaRain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Beautiful setting, superb service and great food. I love the apartments and find them to be an excellent value. Several restaurants are available with a walk of less then 5 minutes and a supermarket is just across the street. Bugolobi is a lovely area and I feel safe walking the streets, even as a woman alone in the evenings. I've been coming to Le Bougainviller since 2010 and have never been disappointed!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Hotel de Bougainviller is a nice option for a getaway in Kampala. It's decorated like a little French village, and every time I step out of the hotel onto the streets of Kampala, I find myself having a 'wait, where am I??' moment. There are TVs in the rooms (though channels are limited, there is a good mixture of French & English), HOT showers, comfortable beds, and *cue drumroll* air conditioning. The included breakfast is simple, filling and tasty.

I've stayed here twice, and both times it was a great stay, though there always seems to be something that is a little 'off,' But really, considering where they are and that I feel transported to the West for a few hours, it's an excellent option. Others have mentioned that room 28 is next to the staff room, and you'll have loud voices from 8am to about 6pm. The family room is nice, but the air conditioner there was weak last time I stayed, so the smaller bedroom got really warm...opening the windows worked because each bed had mosquito nets, but the window didn't have a screen, so if you're not a fan of mosquito nets, opening windows isn't an option.

Overall, I'd recommend the Bougainviller to anyone looking for a comfortable, pleasant place to stay in Kampala. There's an Italian place around the corner that has good food (though slow service) and Jazz Supermarket is a great place to find some snacks.

Room Tip: Avoid room 28 if you like to sleep in past 8am.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

After visiting 3 "upscales" hotels in kampala, my only conclusion is that Le Bougainvillier wins hands down.

Sure they are some things that could be improved...but given the general quality of the competition in the 100/150 usd bracket, the property seems good value.

The hotel is pretty nice, reproducing the atmosphere of a little town of south france. The rooms are very nice, as are the bathroom. All very clean.
Simple but okay breakfast is included.

The main issue on my side : if your room is near the staff room, expect loud voices starting 8am for much of the day...

I would def go there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We had only average expectations for this hotel which were exceeded in almost every way. The French décor/ setting is superb, it really is a lovely, quiet escape from Kampala's hustle and bustle. The rooms are quiet, spacious and nice, no complaints. The restaurant was good, food was of a high quality and the free breakfast was top notch. Service at the hotel and at the restaurant wasn't great would be one complaint - and they had no Bordeaux wine despite it being on the menu, in a French restaurant! Had thought the location was going to be a problem according to some reviews but it really wasn't. Jump on a motorbike and you're to town in 5 minutes. And the price was ok. So I'd recommend to all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple