“Oasis in Kampala”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kampala
Hotel Le Bougainviller
Ranked #29 of 105 Hotels in Kampala
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel for ten days on a business trip. It is, as described in another review, an oasis in the city. You walk through the doors and enter a different world, away from the dusty hustle and bustle of an African city.
I found the owner to be friendly and all the staff, without exception, to be very friendly and only to willing to help make my stay more comfortable.
I was there over a weekend, and asked the front desk to help me with touristy day trips. The lady was only too happy to help and made suggestions and gave plenty of guidance. She then made phone calls to arrange a driver/guide for me.
The bottled water in the fridge in my room was charged for, but it cost US$1 and not 8 as claimed in a previous review. This is an average price for bottled water in Africa and I was quite happy to pay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rory G

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I've stayed at bougainviller several times in the past few years and have come to believe that it is the best value for money in town. It is such a struggle to find a place to stay in kla that is quiet, safe, clean, slightly luxurious, and has all the western amenities you want while staying in the "big city". I have stayed at other more expensive options in town (200 per night range) and am almost always disappointed in some way. I also love this hotel because there is a lovely quaint feeling you get wandering through the brick pathways and gardens. My only complaint is the service can leave a bit to be desired but the shower is high pressured and hot, the food is consistently good, the beer is cold, and the private patios in some of the rooms are a precious hideaway from the stresses out in the city. I will always recommend this place first when asked.

Room Tip: I prefer the top floor rooms on the restaurant side of the hotel, though the first floor rooms have...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is my "home away from home" when I'm visiting Kampala, the hotel is a favourite with the company I work for.
The rates are good, the rooms are perfectly furnished for both business traveller and tourist alike, and it's something different from all those nameless atmosphere-less big chain hotels.
The Bougainviller offers spacious rooms divided in to two sections. Until now I had always stayed on the "pool side" of the hotel, but this was now the first time that I was on the "French village" side opposite the road.
Again very nicely done, you would swear you were in a small French village. The rooms are slightly smaller than on the "pool side" or at least mine (nr 33) was, but still generously big enough to have all the space you need.
I usually only always had breakfast while staying here, which is excellent with fresh fruit, toast, juice and a variety of egg dishes to chose from, but this time we finally ended up eating in "Le Bistro" as well, the hotel's restaurant.
Great food, all done with the special French touch, and great wines. If you're nice to the owner, Bruno, he might get you one of his special bottles.....

If I could think of anything that could need improvement it would only be the lighting on the "village" side of the hotel. I arrived late at night and nearly broke my neck on the stairs as I couldn't see the steps.
Apart from that nothing to complain, the wifi was working perfectly (and is for free/ included in the price) and I always had plenty of hot water to shower.

Room Tip: Depends on what you like, the "poolside" rooms are in general bigger and are closer to the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was there on a business trip with several colleagues and we still speak about this horrendous experience until today and even considered legal actions but decide to laugh about this and warn other travelers instead.

The property is nice, a French oasis in Kampala with a restaurant serving average/decent food and wine and charming rooms named after famous French singers. The breakfast is underwhelming at best but ok for the room price (bon rapport qualite / prix).

Big downside about this hotel is the owner, a rude french speaking man who went out of his way to make our stay miserable. Our group was in shock at the poor level of customer service wereceived during our various business dinners and particularly at check out. After a conversation with him to provide feedback, he made it clear that our feedback was not important as the hotel with only a few rooms is fully booked all year round.

We vowed never to return to this property and would encourage other to do the same perhaps only then owner will change his outlook.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Marlene N
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We only viewed the hotel from the outside so cannot comment on the level of accommodation itself. Our visit ended in reception when we were booking in as we found the staff extremely rude & unhelpful. As a result we requested a refund of our money which they gladly did with no attempt made to resolve the problem. We just could not feel comfortable in such a hostile environment. Turns out they did us a favour as we cancelled our booking & found a better hotel with the quality of hospitality & service we are accustomed to in Uganda.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JerryCork_Ireland
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Bougainviller is a nice hotel located in a suburb of Kampala. Unusually, it is split in two by a small road. This did not turn to be a big problem. It is designed to resemble a Provencal village. Despite being quite close to a main road out of Kampala, it was calm and quiet during daylight hours. The bedrooms are spacious and nicely appointed. However, they lack natural light and are very poorly lit, are very poorly lit. The swimming pool is not very large but provides a refreshinh dip from the hot Kampala weather.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I found the hotel through a recommendation from who was very enthusiastic about. It was hard to locate it on the Internet because of the name is spelt the French way rather than usual way we are used to.
That said it's a small place that is actually split into two by a busy and pretty dusty road, but once I went inside I was was charmed b the layout and the decor.....very French. In fact my room was across the road and down some stairs that led into a courtyard that would be easily in a small French town, right down to faux street signs.
The setting is beautiful, rooms are basic but very comfortable, though I must say I found the bathrooms pretty dark because of all that black granite they used. The air conditioner worked silently and well, they have to because they are really no windows in this section of the hotel, the French doors open onto the courtyard.
The main hotel is where breakfast is served in a pleasant verandah kind of set, close to a small swimming pool that nobody ever used. The breakfast was French and very nice. I never ate dinner there as this is served in the French restaurant, also on site and I really was not interested in this cuisine.
What I loved was the tranquility this small hotel offered, you could almost ignore the hustle and bustle from the nearby Bugolobi shops and clubs.
The draw backs are that there is no room service and the staff do look a bit silly dressed up as French chamber maids. And on Saturday's there is a club next door that will play loud music till pretty late.
But I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: For privacy take a room across the road in the annexe.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo