Hotel Le Bougainviller
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Kampala
See available hotels
Royal Suites(Kampala)
View Hotel
All reviewsfrench touchbusiness daysincluded breakfast ispepper steakan oasisfive nightsrooms are spacioussmall hotelstayed for nightsinternetafricanetsannexfurnishingsgreenery
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Bougainviller is a nice hotel located in a suburb of Kampala. Unusually, it is split in two by a small road. This did not turn to be a big problem. It is designed to resemble a Provencal village. Despite being quite close to a main road out of Kampala, it was calm and quiet during daylight hours. The bedrooms are spacious and nicely appointed. However, they lack natural light and are very poorly lit, are very poorly lit. The swimming pool is not very large but provides a refreshinh dip from the hot Kampala weather.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I found the hotel through a recommendation from who was very enthusiastic about. It was hard to locate it on the Internet because of the name is spelt the French way rather than usual way we are used to.
That said it's a small place that is actually split into two by a busy and pretty dusty road, but once I went inside I was was charmed b the layout and the decor.....very French. In fact my room was across the road and down some stairs that led into a courtyard that would be easily in a small French town, right down to faux street signs.
The setting is beautiful, rooms are basic but very comfortable, though I must say I found the bathrooms pretty dark because of all that black granite they used. The air conditioner worked silently and well, they have to because they are really no windows in this section of the hotel, the French doors open onto the courtyard.
The main hotel is where breakfast is served in a pleasant verandah kind of set, close to a small swimming pool that nobody ever used. The breakfast was French and very nice. I never ate dinner there as this is served in the French restaurant, also on site and I really was not interested in this cuisine.
What I loved was the tranquility this small hotel offered, you could almost ignore the hustle and bustle from the nearby Bugolobi shops and clubs.
The draw backs are that there is no room service and the staff do look a bit silly dressed up as French chamber maids. And on Saturday's there is a club next door that will play loud music till pretty late.
But I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: For privacy take a room across the road in the annexe.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank NairobiDreamweaver
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Love it here, I travel a lot in East Africa for my work and I just so had it with staying in big chain hotels...all four stars+ but in general they do not have the personal touch.
When I go to Bougainville however (I usually only visit Kampala once a year) it's like coming home, the staff is friendly, welcoming and helpful, the little restaurant next to the pool is excellent, the breakfast tasty...I'll be back!
Oh, and not to forget I think it's very good value for money, spacious rooms, WiFi and breakfast included, for much less than what you would pay in a 'normal' hotel.

Room Tip: I have stayed in various ones, they were all fine but some tend to get less sunlight than others so ask for a sunny room. Unless you just want to go for your favourite French actor or singer (rooms are named after them)
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My first trip back to this hotel for 3 years (usually stay at Protea or Kabira), and things seems to have slipped.My"suite" was more of a cave, no windows, just sliding doors, so no light and very dark - bad for me, good for the mosquitoes and other insects who happily devoured me. Fittings cheap and towels and linen horrible.
Please be warned, unlike every other hotel in Kampala where one or two bottles of water are provided gratis you are required to pay here. When i complained and tried to leave without paying the $8 i was ordered to pay by a very angry french owner and my driver (i promise) held at gunpoint. Incident has been reported of course, but either way probably not the best customer relations... needless to say, i wont be going back - and fellow travellers, i advise the same! Food is good though...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gabriel F
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Stayed here for a week in June 2011 and it was thoroughly enjoyable. The hotel makes you think of Swiss/rustic/campus - all rooms have their own external access, central courtyards on both sides of the road, rooms are large, strong and reliable wi-fi signal, good breakfast, courteous staff, friendly, personal laundry service. The restaurant is very good.

Location is not downtown, but only about 15 minutes by taxi depending upon traffic. The neighbourhood is accessible once you know your way around with an easy walk to the village through a local community.

I usually stay closer to the center (Sheraton, etc.) but will stay here again. Good memories because of the charm.

Room Tip: Some rooms seemed quite dark. I checked a few because we will have more staff traveling to Kampala.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business